Kitchen end support and clad on panels

Associate
We've just begun self installing a B&Q IT kitchen. The wall units come with clad on end panels and the bases end support panels.

First time working with these and assumed they'd be sized to suit. It appears that way on the 3D design anyhow. But they're all oversized not allowing for a flush finish.

Wall cabinet panels are correct height but too deep. Base panels are too high and deep.

Is this normal and you're supposed to cut to size?

Additionally the wall panels come with screw fittings and the base panels are without.

Do the end support panels get screwed into the bases in the same way the wall panels affix?

Associate
Are you taking into account that you still need to put your doors and cornice on? Hence they need to be deeper and taller respectively?

Also, if your base panels seem too tall, are you sure you've set your base units at the right height? Should be just the right height for the plinth to slide under.

With my Howdens kitchen, I screwed to the base panels from the inside of the base cabinets using my own screws.

Do you not get a manual showing how to install it all? Howdens had a big thick book but I had to ask for it.

Associate
OP
Are you taking into account that you still need to put your doors and cornice on? Hence they need to be deeper and taller respectively?

Also, if your base panels seem too tall, are you sure you've set your base units at the right height? Should be just the right height for the plinth to slide under.

It's a 50mm overhang on the wall clads and the doors are 18mm. Base units are height adjusted for a 150mm plinth meaning we should lose 20mm from the panel height and 30mm from its depth.

There are only instruction sheets for the carcasses and nothing at all for the panels.

Just wondered if its standard practise to cut to suit?

Associate
I've only ever installed one kitchen, my Howdens one, and that didn't require me to cut the panels. Sorry I can't help any more. Good luck! And get some photos up when it's done.

Associate
My IKEA kitchen required cutting end panels to size. I screwed them to the cupboards from the inside of the cupboard (as kinobestew123 says). However, I had two end panels that weren't attached to cupbaord units - one on the side of the dishwasher space, and the other for the end of the washing machine gap. For those ones I drilled holes in the floor and the bottom of the panels and put dowels in. Then I bracketed them to the wall on the inside of the panel, and to the bottom of the worktop.

Associate
OP
My IKEA kitchen required cutting end panels to size. I screwed them to the cupboards from the inside of the cupboard (as kinobestew123 says). However, I had two end panels that weren't attached to cupbaord units - one on the side of the dishwasher space, and the other for the end of the washing machine gap. For those ones I drilled holes in the floor and the bottom of the panels and put dowels in. Then I bracketed them to the wall on the inside of the panel, and to the bottom of the worktop.

We started cutting to size now. Just wanted to hear if it was the done thing or we received incorrect sizes. We have the same dishwasher scenario so appreciate the fixing tip.

Soldato
With the DIY Kitchens end panels I just fitted they were indeed supplied oversized.

It's so you can scribe them for an exact fit. For example, if your wall units aren't fitting exactly flush to the wall due to having to pack them out to keep the run true, or if the wall is bowed in or out, you can cut the end panel to exactly fit the wall.

Same thing with the base and full height unit end panels, but also the height from the floor (leg length) may vary if you have to adjust units up and down to get them level, plus flooring thickness varies, so once the flooring is down you can cut the end panels to take these variations into account so they finish perfectly flush with your finished flooring height.

Associate
OP
Can anyone explain how to construct a corner wall cabinet?

B&Q designed ours using an 800 and 600 mm wall cabinets. A corner post is included but zero instructions. We just can't figure this out

Soldato
Ive used the B&Q range a couple of times in my previous properties' kitchen refits.

There are three types of end panel as follows:

1. The replacement panels are designed to replace the side of the cabinet itself, to provide a colour matched end matching the doors. These don't overhang at all and are fitted in place of the standard cabinet end panel when the units are built up.

2. End support panels for base units - these are full height panels which go from worktop to floor. Therefore you have to cut them to match your worktop height. They should be the same depth as the cabinet though. They screw on ('clad on') from inside the cabinet. The plinth butts up to the inside of it, where it meets the floor.

3. Clad on panels for wall units. These colour matched panels clad on like the end support panels do but they do overhang the wall unit itself on both depth and height. The idea on the depth is that they provide a nice flush finish to the door face, and the idea on the height is that your pelmet butts up to it, hence the extra height allowed of 50mm. I.e they are supposed to overhang at the bottom of the unit. You use these for example where cooker hoods are, to save you having a pelmet returning to the wall and making for a nicer finish.

They also used to do the overhung clad on panels for base units but last time I fitted a kitchen I struggled to get hold of these, so maybe they discontinued that element of the modular range.

Soldato
Can anyone explain how to construct a corner wall cabinet?

B&Q designed ours using an 800 and 600 mm wall cabinets. A corner post is included but zero instructions. We just can't figure this out

Have you looked at the door instructions or corner post instructions itself? The corner post actually attaches to one of the doors rather than the cabinet itself if I remember correctly. It simply opens and closes with the doors and fills that gap in the middle.

Associate
OP
Ive used the B&Q range a couple of times in my previous properties' kitchen refits.

There are three types of end panel as follows:

We have a mix of 2 and 3 here. But everything is oversized, depth being the biggest overhang. Yet the 3D design we have has them showing flush. I thought we'd received incorrect stuff but from these replies it seems its common to cut to size.

Associate
OP
Have you looked at the door instructions or corner post instructions itself? The corner post actually attaches to one of the doors rather than the cabinet itself if I remember correctly. It simply opens and closes with the doors and fills that gap in the middle.
Zero instructions with ours here which is frustrating.

I'm going to B&Q tomorrow and get a visual reminder how they've built them there. Also hoping the designer we met is there too. Think he might have made some errors in the design so want to pick his brain.

Associate
The end panels that were supplied with our IT kitchen replaced either the right or left panel of the unit depending on which end it was on, they were not clad onto the built up unit.

Edit - As Dan has already pointed out.

Soldato
2. End support panels for base units - these are full height panels which go from worktop to floor. Therefore you have to cut them to match your worktop height. They should be the same depth as the cabinet though. They screw on ('clad on') from inside the cabinet. The plinth butts up to the inside of it, where it meets the floor.

In every case I've seen and used these, they are deeper than the units and need to be scribed to the wall, as the wall may not be perfectly square the service void will need to be covered also (units may not go right back to the wall dependent on worktop and unit depths.

Soldato
In every case I've seen and used these, they are deeper than the units and need to be scribed to the wall, as the wall may not be perfectly square the service void will need to be covered also (units may not go right back to the wall dependent on worktop and unit depths.

Its been a while since i used these kitchens. It would make sense for base units but the OP seems to be saying his wall unit clad ons are too deep also which i find odd. Wall units need a pretty straight wall to fit on properly.

Associate
Do not cut them, they are designed to be around 20mm or so bigger than the front of the unit so that when you fix the door on they will look flush. If you look at the picture in the link below you will see the large end panel on the left hand side of the large larder unit has been fixed on to the inside of the cupboard and further down there is another end panel on the right of the cooker. There is also then another end panel on the glass display unit on the left of the window which is large then the cupboard unit so that the pelmet can be fitted to the bottom of the wall unit.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=Te8RCkEe&id=89ED057F39357D2D947782BFE40BC3C365653654&thid=OIP.Te8RCkEeOeZky6p2hRYjPQHaE4&mediaurl=https://kingfisher.scene7.com/is/image/Kingfisher/IT_Kitchen_SantiniGlossWhite_RoomSetModel1?crop=0,0,4776,3150&anchor=2388,1575&$PROMO_940_620$&exph=620&expw=940&q=b+and+q+it+range&simid=607987614721704905&selectedIndex=3&ajaxhist=0

Back
Top Bottom