Are you doing anything with Hue?

Soldato
Is there a simple way to setup a routine that is only applied to a sign bulb? I have a set of living room lamps that are defined under a single group which have a number of routines to manage them however I'd like to be able to dim a single lamp at a set time each day.

Soldato
Seems to be done via a firmware update to the bulb, I assume it's either storing its state or telling the bulb to ask the hub. Either, tricky for Phlips to implement this in other manufacturer's firmware!

Yeah I get it and I know it's their system they can do what they like it just felt a bit like "what can we do to differentiate our bulbs" when really in my head it's simply a small price delta.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Right, but it's not just an in app option and they've excluded the other manufacturers from it. It need collaboration from Osram, IKEA etc

Soldato
As someone who’s only just got into Hue and loving it (I’ve set a google home routine where I say sexy time and it goes red and plays Barry White just to wind my wife up)

How often do the 3 for 2 deals come around? I know obviously Black Friday is a key time but I’m wondering how often they come around as I could do with quite a few more now. Worked out I need 35 GU10’s :( might try and alternate colour and white ambience to keep costs down.

Caporegime
Yeah was meant to be Q4. Maybe they realised it will make most applications of their bulbs redundant if wall switches can work with hue.

Soldato
I'm looking at putting some bulbs into our ensuite so that i can dim the lights in the morning when i shower and not disturb the wife as much when i get up early for a shower (stupid glass door!)

Problem is we have a ventilation fan on the same circuit as the lights. So i can't just leave the power on and use a Hue switch because then the fan would be on 24/7

For people who have hue bulbs in their bathrooms how did you get around this? I presume it needs the fan going on a separate switch which would mean a lot more wiring/mess as i assume the power is just looped from the nearest spotlight.

Other options would be

1 - Just use a regular dimmer, but again i'm not sure how that would work with the fan.

2 - Put in Hue bulbs and use the regular light socket and just set the colour temp from my phone (probably best option)

Soldato
I'm looking at putting some bulbs into our ensuite so that i can dim the lights in the morning when i shower and not disturb the wife as much when i get up early for a shower (stupid glass door!)

Problem is we have a ventilation fan on the same circuit as the lights. So i can't just leave the power on and use a Hue switch because then the fan would be on 24/7

For people who have hue bulbs in their bathrooms how did you get around this? I presume it needs the fan going on a separate switch which would mean a lot more wiring/mess as i assume the power is just looped from the nearest spotlight.

Other options would be

1 - Just use a regular dimmer, but again i'm not sure how that would work with the fan.

2 - Put in Hue bulbs and use the regular light socket and just set the colour temp from my phone (probably best option)

I've got regular lights in the bathroom, not hue and I also have a vent on the same switch all on a dimmer.

I turn the light on by pushing the dimmer in like normal then rotate the lights to off in the morning (got a lit cabinet which provides enough light, I'm a very happy dark dweller) and the vent comes on fine.

I honestly can't think of a good way to utilise smart lights in there or I probably would have by now.

Soldato

Option 3 (which is what I did) - replace the ventilation fan with a humidistat fan and leave the wall switch on. I put a Hue motion sensor below our bathroom cabinet and set up schedules in iConnectHue so the lights come on at different white temperatures and brightness depending on the time of day. Quite nice to go to the bathroom in the evening to brush your teeth and not feel like you're walking into an operating theatre.

This also does away with the annoyance of switching on the bathroom light in the middle of the night and pointlessly triggering the "silent" ventilation fan. :)

Soldato
Yeah, I was thinking it'd be quite cool as i could have energising colours for morning showers to help wake me up and then more night time colours at night to help relax me if i've got in from playing football late. Whether i'd actually use that or am just using it as an excuse to myself is another matter :p

@One More Solo, that sounds pretty good actually. How quick do the lights activate from motion being detected? The only place i could probably put it would only make it kick in when you were about a foot in the door. The even better place would be under the shower tray as it's raised and it would get you as soon as you walked in the door, but not sure that's safe as doubt the sensors are sealed and i'd be worried about moisture

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I think I need to take a look at iConnectHue or other more powerful apps. I'm hitting the limits of the basic setup in the stock app.

I want to be able to tell Alexa to set 'sleep mode' and have any Hue lights read that flag, and if they're powered on do so in a much dimmer state.

I also use motion sensors and there's no delay when entering rooms before the lights come on.

Soldato
I'm redecorating my house at the moment, and am looking at hue lights and an ambilight TV. The optimal place for the TV would be on the chimney breast, which is ~150cm (the two alcoves to the side of the chimney breast have spotlights, which I was looking to put hue lights in). I know that Phillips recommends 30cm each side of the TV for the ambilight feature, but following that exactly would only leave me with a 40/45" TV screen.

A 55" screen would have ~15cm on either side of the TV. Is this in reality enough for an ambilight, or would there be lots of light thrown onto the far walls of the alcoves and end up looking odd?

Probably won't get this room done until March, but want to get the plan sorted

Soldato
Yeah was meant to be Q4. Maybe they realised it will make most applications of their bulbs redundant if wall switches can work with hue.
You will still need the bulb, as far as i can tell they are just long overdue UK size switches to go alongside the current hue switch thats US sized.
Some require neutral but a couple look to be powered by the action of switching.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I'm redecorating my house at the moment, and am looking at hue lights and an ambilight TV. The optimal place for the TV would be on the chimney breast, which is ~150cm (the two alcoves to the side of the chimney breast have spotlights, which I was looking to put hue lights in). I know that Phillips recommends 30cm each side of the TV for the ambilight feature, but following that exactly would only leave me with a 40/45" TV screen.

A 55" screen would have ~15cm on either side of the TV. Is this in reality enough for an ambilight, or would there be lots of light thrown onto the far walls of the alcoves and end up looking odd?

Probably won't get this room done until March, but want to get the plan sorted

I have the TV in left alcove of our lounge, it's far from ideal for Ambilight projection - but is still 'fine'. Get the bigger screen if it fits and looks good, don't base decisions on what the Ambilight stuff requires. I got a 43" screen as that's the max that will fit when pushed back into the alcove unit. I also have Hue LED strips at the top of each alcove that are synced with the Amblight.

Not fantastic pictures but; https://photos.app.goo.gl/UJgHqqQUbNHQri9d6

Soldato
I have the TV in left alcove of our lounge, it's far from ideal for Ambilight projection - but is still 'fine'. Get the bigger screen if it fits and looks good, don't base decisions on what the Ambilight stuff requires. I got a 43" screen as that's the max that will fit when pushed back into the alcove unit. I also have Hue LED strips at the top of each alcove that are synced with the Amblight.

Not fantastic pictures but; https://photos.app.goo.gl/UJgHqqQUbNHQri9d6

Alright that settles it, I'll get the bigger screen I'll post pictures when it's done in spring

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I've been trying to find Hue compatible smart plugs and found Innr do one (the SP120) but it's for Schuko sockets. I've asked them if they can work on 230V systems and they confirmed that they do - but also that they're releasing UK versions in the next few months. These sockets will show up in the Hue app, and allow you to switch lamps on / off.

Soldato
Slowly expanding when I can. Only using the white ambiance ones, as wasn't really too keen on colour and it's more just being able to put things on a timer which I like. Had the entire house converted to GU10 down lights around 6 months ago then went ahead with hue when the 3 for 2 offers were on.

So far have have:

2 outside front door - down and up. Looks really good as lights the whole house up and have it come on just as it gets dark, then goes off early hours of the morning.
Porch - Got this utilised with the motion sensor. Really like this as if carrying stuff through the door at night, makes it easier not trying to find the light and put stuff down.
Downstairs toilet - Again got this on the motion sensor.
Lounge - Full in here and nice for customising for watching movies etc. Got two dimmers in here and have added these to where the light switches were - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D5KJ...t=&hvlocphy=1006674&hvtargid=pla-467479451758
Kitchen - Full again, except for cupboards as they using G4 bulbs which unfortunately they don't do in hue.
Dining / spare room - Haven't done anything with this yet, but got normal bulbs with a dimmer.

I've taken a liking to the artic colour, so have that across all of them.

Upstairs, haven't touched anything here yet but may introduce at some stage. Want to look at someway of putting into garden nearer summer, to create a nice theme.

Has anyone tried the 'random times' setting in routines yet? Wondered if it would be any good to turn on when on holiday?

Back
Top Bottom