Had my 1st close call

Associate
Just thought I'd share my 1st close call on 2 wheels

Few days ago on my way home 2 cars in front decide to turn right into an estate, car behind slows as do I, while we wait a moment for the passing cars a small van came skidding past on my left and into a traffic light, luckily I was to the right side of my lane otherwise he would have caught me.

I pull over and jump off the bike to go check on the guy, luckily everyone was ok, hes full of apologies, just didn't notice we had stopped and hit the brakes last minute and turned to avoid me.

People told me as soon as I started looking at bikes that its not just how careful I am but other people, really hits home now

Im sure many of you have had similar or worse but I thought I'd share

Oh and the following day I watch one car go straight into the back of another at a roundabout... you go years without seeing an accident then see two in two days!

Associate
It's also a good reason to filter to the front of a queue when at lights, or where appropriate.

I'm always wary when i find myself unavoidably the last in a stationary queue. A relative of mine used to be great at going into the back of people at roundabouts because "they should have gone," so I'm always careful there too!

Soldato
It's the wild wild west out there not good being last man in the que double tap the rear light now and then because some can not see the difference in light on and brake light & the above all good advice come back in another 35 years and let's us know if you like riding :D

Soldato
As a slight aside to this and in the spirit of not being stuck between two cars, what do others do in this situation:

You're filtering to the front of a set of traffic lights. The car at the very front is half-way over the solid white line. The previous line of cars are bumper to bumper.

Do you:

1) Pull up in front of the car, despite it putting you nearly in the the way of crossing traffic
2) Pull up alongside the car
3) Not filter at all

Soldato
Presumably 3 isn't an option, as you're already filtering and there are now no spaces? If not then that.

If I'm already on the move and there are no spaces, then depending on just how far it would put me into other traffic, I'd pull right to the front and do a combination of 1 and 2, angling in front of the car. That way I'm in front and visible, but not dangling out so much in traffic.

Soldato
Presumably 3 isn't an option, as you're already filtering and there are now no spaces? If not then that.

If I'm already on the move and there are no spaces, then depending on just how far it would put me into other traffic, I'd pull right to the front and do a combination of 1 and 2, angling in front of the car. That way I'm in front and visible, but not dangling out so much in traffic.

Ah okay, same as me then. Just wondered, as it's probably the only thing I find trickier on one particular set of lights on a motorway roundabout. It's always total gridlock of an evening, and is dead easy to filter provided you can find a little slot towards the end.

Associate

Yeah pretty much the same. Although there are a couple where it's not very easy or little space so I just sit ready next to them, possibly having made myself heard, and then wiz away before they've moved more than a few cm.

Back
Top Bottom