New Toyota Supra formally announced

Soldato
surely it wont have the Japanese reliability being built by bmw in austria?

@NathWraith that yellow looks epic. As said before, would be the colour I'd pick too.

I'm sure the bits made in Japan will be reliable, which is...ummm...errr, the badges?

ALL the GT86s/BRZs are made in Japan in the same factory. I was hoping the Supra would be the same, shame.

Soldato
Can anyone tell me why the Supra is 20k more expensive than the z4
Are you looking like for like? I can't see the 340BHP Z4 being £30k. Looking on the website they start FROM £36990 (on the road)....with 0-60 of 6.6 so probably that is the base model.
In fact I;ve just gone to the Build engine and for the M40i based Z4 it's £49050.
Shame the Z4 looks so naff, at least from what I've seen so far

Soldato
I am struggling to understand this need for Toyotas to be built in Japan, and for any built elsewhere not to be worthy of the badge? There's a lot of people that work at a certain plant near Derby who would disagree with you there.

Soldato
It’s simply hard to claim it’s a Toyota when there are BMW stamps all over the engine bay etc, the interior is pasted from the BMW parts bin and nobody from Toyota touches it during construction.

It’s a Rebranded German car with a less prestigious badge stuck on the front.

Soldato
it's a bmw toyota supra z4 coupe

hopefully not, it'd be cool to a see a "proper" replacement for the gt86 rather than a smaller engined supra.

Problem is after 2020 with the incoming emissions regs they will HAVE to change it. Probably either a smaller turbo engine or a hybrid/EV :(

Soldato
Wow, what a horrible looking car. Sure i remember the concepts looking awesome, big bulging arches etc. That thing looks like rat in the video. (Talking about the car)

What a shame as the previous Supra is perfection.

Associate
I have to say I am looking forward to seeing this car on the road, it will be a while till I can afford to get one though.

There seems to be a lot of negativity regarding the engine here and while I would prefer a Toyota developed unit I don't think it's a terrible thing. Adjusted for inflation this car costs significantly less then the original MKIV Supra, it comes with more stock HP Vs the old 323, it has plenty of extra up front space in the bay for extra cooling and mods and even with some basic tuning / mapping the same BMW engine is seeing over 400Bhp just like the old BPU MKIV, whats not to like? Personally i think the car looks great and I say that as a former MKIV TT Supra Owner.

It will be interesting to see what the tuning companies do with this car. Personally I have always seen the Supra as a (well formerly) affordable car that was reliable and unbelievably tunable and able to embarrass much more exotic machines with a few tweaks. Some people seem to have been expecting a GTR killer but that comes with GTR costs, on the Nissan website a new GTR seems to cost £82,000 all the way up to £152,000.

Back
Top Bottom