How to deal with 'waiting for that next' job syndrome

Associate
Hello,

I have a good job that i got as an 'opportunity'. Im underpaid 20% compared to other staff with the same role (but i perform better). I could leave now and get 10% more elsewhere, but want to stay for 3 months. My accomplishments during this time will allow me to get into interviews for 40% more (Im at the 'nearly but not quite' stage).
Has anyone been in a similar situation? I want to stay happy, focused and driven, without becoming resentful at my current employer - wage, company politics, the recent traits of always being given skilled tasks that 'do not count' towards the companies rating of my performance and the companies recent focus on the 1% at wasnt perfect.

Thanks!

Soldato
Look for opportunities to add to your knowledge and skill set, I was getting a bit bored last year as I was promised a pay rise that didn't get mentioned again so felt undervalued... Started looking at what I could do better and what responsibility I could take, read some books on self and business development, all with mind to seeking a move away. In the end got a pay rise and setup a new company with one of the other company directors!

Man of Honour
With things like this it comes down to your long term logical brain negotiating with your short term monkey instinct. Writing down your goals and tracking progress week by week can really help explain the reasons why you do what you do every day. 3 months is absolutely nothing. If you can't easily justify your longer term goals to yourself then that either says something is unrealistic about those goals or you have an issue regulating your urge for immediate satisfaction.

Associate
OP
Thanks both, your suggestions both tie in with what im doing, so must be on the right track. Im on the self learning books, and have my goals (based on recent job vacancy criteria). Im not concerned about 'immediate satisfation' as this has been planned for a year, its more the 'immediate dis-satisfaction' - I dont want short term annoyances keeping me back from what I know I can acheive in the next three months. Tracking my goals every morning should reset my frustrations, and the book im reading is helping me change the way i think.

Associate
I'm in the exact same boat. Hate my place with a passion and hard to hide my resentment towards management.

Every day being here is torture but I have a mortgage to pay. My whole mindset is about getting the hell out of here now after 5 years of working here.

Man of Honour
Bit bizarre that an extra 3 months in your current role will boost your salary offers from elsewhere by an additional 30% but assuming that is accurate then I don't really see what there is to think about, 3 months is nothing and sounds like a massively profitable investment of your time so I would give full commitment to that whilst continuing to monitor the job market.

Soldato
Are you willing to share some figures for us to understand where you are salary wise to see if 30-40% increase in 3 months is justified?

Also how long have you been in your current underpaid by 20% position?

Associate
OP
Thanks all for joining conversation, agree that 3 months is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I have set 3 months goals to check everyday for extra motivation, working well so far.

Back
Top Bottom