*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Will we get updates for WiFi 6? Just read an article about Netgears Orbi getting a firmware update for it.
Most interesting for me is better performance in congested areas, all my neighbours have silly amount of repeaters so the airwaves are beyond full. None of them at the channels either so are usually the full width and jumping around.

Associate
So i have just replaced my Asus DSL-N66U with a Unifi UAC AP and the Edgerouter X and so far im liking what i see when i enable DPI
This allows me to see where my kids are acutally going when connected across thier various device's.

What im looking to find out is there a way to give each device a friendly name that will show up on traffic analysis within the Edgerouter like there is within the Unifi controller software.
I would like to differentiate between my 2 kids devices as they both have the exact same handset, tv device and games console.

Soldato
Will we get updates for WiFi 6? Just read an article about Netgears Orbi getting a firmware update for it.
Most interesting for me is better performance in congested areas, all my neighbours have silly amount of repeaters so the airwaves are beyond full. None of them at the channels either so are usually the full width and jumping around.
I was under the impression it needs new hardware. I wouldn't have thought Netgear could upgrade the existing orbi with firmware alone.

It does require new hardware. They said they are working on a Wifi 6 version of the Orbi, not a firmware release.

Soldato
It does require new hardware. They said they are working on a Wifi 6 version of the Orbi, not a firmware release.

"Wi-Fi 6 wireless compatibility will be introduced to Netgear’s RBK50 series of hardware later in 2019" unless that means they are bringing out a new RBK50 as well.

Associate
I am one of the long suffering sky q customers with intermittent wifi droppage and having gone through all the regular troubleshooting ended up on articles recommending a ubiquiti ap and keeping sky q box and mini boxes on seperate wifi ssid, and creating another for other devices, ipad, phones etc.

Before i order one can anyone help with the following please.

Do i only need to buy an access point to resolve the issues with sky q, i dont need to change sky router for example to set up two seperate wifi ssids.

I live in a town house, currently have the sky q box via wifi in lounge on middle floor, the router on the top floor in study as my wifi dongle broke on the pc so have it hardwired and a sky mini box top floor again via wifi in a bedroom despite this i still get wifi signal across all floors, if the sky router can give a wifi signal across whole house, i assume i only need one AP, the AP lite should suffice ?

The best placement for the ubiquiti ap seems to be on the ceiling, it needs poe, so i assume it has to be in the same room as the router, so i should move router to middle floor hardwire the sky q box and just get a replacement wifi dongle for the pc upstairs?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Soldato
The best placement for the ubiquiti ap seems to be on the ceiling, it needs poe, so i assume it has to be in the same room as the router, so i should move router to middle floor hardwire the sky q box and just get a replacement wifi dongle for the pc upstairs?

Part of the benefit is gained by the shape of them and PoE powered being conducive to ceiling mounting. You don’t need to move your router though, just run an Ethernet cable from it to where you want to mount the AP via somewhere near a power outlet to add the PoE injector along the way.

Given your router is probably already near a power supply, a possible route is short Ethernet cable to PoE injector plugged in close to your router then long Ethernet cable from the injector up to your ceiling. If it is troublesome routing in the house then drill a hole to go outside, up and back in. Well worth the time and hassle.

In your situation I’d probably add one centrally on your top floor, see if that covers the whole house, and if not add a second somewhere lower down.

Soldato
I am one of the long suffering sky q customers with intermittent wifi droppage and having gone through all the regular troubleshooting ended up on articles recommending a ubiquiti ap and keeping sky q box and mini boxes on seperate wifi ssid, and creating another for other devices, ipad, phones etc.

Before i order one can anyone help with the following please.

Do i only need to buy an access point to resolve the issues with sky q, i dont need to change sky router for example to set up two seperate wifi ssids.

I live in a town house, currently have the sky q box via wifi in lounge on middle floor, the router on the top floor in study as my wifi dongle broke on the pc so have it hardwired and a sky mini box top floor again via wifi in a bedroom despite this i still get wifi signal across all floors, if the sky router can give a wifi signal across whole house, i assume i only need one AP, the AP lite should suffice ?

Thanks in advance
Similar situation to me, poor SkyQ wifi signal and drops so I'm plugging the POE in at the rear of the router (1gb port) and run a cable up into the loft space of my bungalow and mounting the UAP-AC-HD to ceiling and making a new separate wifi for all device and leaving the SkyQ mesh to do its own thing, planning on doing it this weekend...

Associate
The recently released UniFi Cloud Key firmware 0.12.2 corrupted a few of my Cloud Keys at work. I took the easy option and factory reset / restored backup. So anyone installing it make sure you have a backup, lots of people on the UniFi forum with the same issue.

Soldato
It seems the new Edgerouter software v2.0.0 is causing a lot of issues with bricking devices too. I think the consensus is to avoid for now as many believe it should never have been taken out of beta.

Soldato
Could someone tell me what the edgerouter does please and if it will fit my plans? I’m with Virgin media (business) and would like to set up a vpn to my house to work remotely and also 3 vlan’s. I’m also going to add a AP or 2 to the office.

Soldato
Could someone tell me what the edgerouter does please and if it will fit my plans? I’m with Virgin media (business) and would like to set up a vpn to my house to work remotely and also 3 vlan’s. I’m also going to add a AP or 2 to the office.

The EdgeRouter line is just what it says it is. It’s a router. It’s not a combo modem-router-Access point, it’s just a router.

The Unifi Security Gateway (USG) has built-in VPN direct to another USG. It’s literally ticking a box to set it up.

It’s slightly more involved on the EdgeRouter line.

Soldato
The EdgeRouter line is just what it says it is. It’s a router. It’s not a combo modem-router-Access point, it’s just a router.

The Unifi Security Gateway (USG) has built-in VPN direct to another USG. It’s literally ticking a box to set it up.

It’s slightly more involved on the EdgeRouter line.

Sorry, I should have been a little clearer. I wasn’t expecting the edgerouter to act as an AP but wasn’t sure if it could do the vlan side of things. Will I need a separate switch for that?

Soldato
Sorry, I should have been a little clearer. I wasn’t expecting the edgerouter to act as an AP but wasn’t sure if it could do the vlan side of things. Will I need a separate switch for that?

It depends which EdgeRouter you buy. Some have switched ports (EdgeRouter PoE has 3 routed ports and 2 switched ports), most have only have routed ports.

A separate switch would be more straightforward.

Soldato
Can you setup the USG to route all traffic through a service such as NordVPN etc?

Yes. It only has a few providers pre-populated in the GUI though.

You should be able to get it running if you follow the link below.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi...-Internet-Access-on-Ubiquiti-USG/td-p/2044633

And if you can use the CLI on the EdgeRouter, everything that works on the EdgeRouter will work on a USG, you just have to save it to the JSON file to make it persistent.

Back
Top Bottom