Doctor Who

Caporegime
User reviews have become weaponised over recent years, they are pretty meaningless.

Like this:

Only the BBC could make a Dalek disabled. Sheesh. At the other end of the spectrum it was business as usual with the usual bland, uninterested acting from all involved, the Morkesque rainbows everywhere and the fastest growing sport event on the Beeb of Dad bashing. Everywhere you turn with this series, you get bombarded with lefty nonsense and racist propoganda (that we in the UK have to pay for!!!). Remove the attorious acting and you have....er...er....well, nothing really. At Christmas our local radio station had a story by a 10 year old child about a brussel sprout. This trumped this amatuerish and badly written drivel in every way.

See also: Steam user review bombing

Caporegime
Remember the big reveal of the teletubby daleks who were about as well received as a boot in the knackers? :p They basically just got kicked into the background and the older models continued on. Last i remember seeing the teletubby daleks was the dalek asylum episode, think a few of them were commanders in it.

Soldato
Viewing figures mean nothing really. Just because people watched it, doesn’t mean it was any good (spoiler: it wasn’t)
Viewing figures mean a lot more that rotten tomato score in terms of what get renewed and what doesn't, especially in the USA.

But as Who is as long runningasitis and a lot of people do enjoy it . Just because a few whinging adults don't like it doesn't mean families and children dislike it.

Also I enjoyed it and there for I thought it was really good

Soldato
Is the sound mixing so out of balance for everyone?
There's some scenes where the music is louder than the talking. It's hideous.
Not watched the latest episode yet, but found the rest of the series to be fine.

In contrast, I recently watched a couple of early Smith ones, and found the music balance a bit much.

Also, it's a kids show. Come on, it's not for grown ups. I wouldn't watch if it weren't for having a son right in the age slot for it. It's a good kids show, though, and I've enjoyed the series for the most part.

Associate
Of the 11 episodes in this series, this last one makes it the 4th episode set on current day Earth (and the 3rd episode in current day Sheffield), bringing the total number on Earth to 7.

Not bad for a space alien that can travel across time and space....

Soldato
Not watched the latest episode yet, but found the rest of the series to be fine.

In contrast, I recently watched a couple of early Smith ones, and found the music balance a bit much.

Also, it's a kids show. Come on, it's not for grown ups. I wouldn't watch if it weren't for having a son right in the age slot for it. It's a good kids show, though, and I've enjoyed the series for the most part.
It's clearly not a kid's show as I stated before. .funded by the drama department and NOT CBBC, made for teatime when families used to gather and watch TV together. If it was for kids it would be on around 4 pm and by more like the Sarah Jane Adventures .

Soldato
Of the 11 episodes in this series, this last one makes it the 4th episode set on current day Earth (and the 3rd episode in current day Sheffield), bringing the total number on Earth to 7.

So all of Pertwee's 3rd Doctor spent the first 2 seasons on earth due to being stranded there by the time lords . The Doctor spends a lot of time on Earth .always has done .

Soldato

I hung my head in my hands at that point, Siberia, South Pacific...............Sheffield.

Soldato
[that would be Siberia, Russia !]

- funding by drama departement =/> !kids , the ~3x increase in <16yr old girls would imply kids too.
Parents have been posting their kids' adorable reactions to the thirteenth Time Lord
lol - adults supposedly letting their <7 year old kids watch it ?

Really need the bbc to publish demographic of the viewers across the series to see how successful it really is - is that availlable under a public information request ?
The institution of the BBC along with many of its programmes - Dr Who, Question time, the apprentice seem get an untouchables status/pass, would they survive in an open market.

Associate
So all of Pertwee's 3rd Doctor spent the first 2 seasons on earth due to being stranded there by the time lords . The Doctor spends a lot of time on Earth .always has done .
Budget and technical limitations were the driving forces behind keeping the Doctor earthbound back then, there's no excuse these days. The current writers could have set the Sheffield episodes in any other city just for a bit of variety, even if the filming locations were still Sheffield. Heck, they could've set it on any made up planet in the universe and used humans with a bit of prosthetic make-up to make it more interesting.

The lack of imagination exhibited by the production team in this series is astounding and insulting.

Soldato
Budget's probably still an issue, has it been sold more widely than USA cable ?
netflix are not joint financing, and it is strangely not 4K shot, visual effects to enable foreign planet episodes also expensive, better to put the budget into the writing.

Straw-man have the best episodes - ever - been set on earth ?
the planet where they interrogated the Master and the ground-hog-day type episode where the doctor broke out of ice encapsulation in a medieval castle, were good.

edit :Heaven sent castle episode.

Soldato
Finally watched the finale episode. Enjoyed it a lot. The cheesylad was appropriately scared of the Dalek - it wasn't his first encounter with them, as we've watched a couple of Matt Smith episodes, one of which included the Winston Churchill Dalek one.

Commissario
OP
I've just gone back and watched the entire first Matt Smith series over the space of a few days. It's like chalk and cheese compared to this latest series. The chemistry between him, Amy and Rory is so well written. By the end of that first episode, he IS The Doctor.

I was never a great Matt Smith fan but having re-watched his first series, my opinion has changed. I think he did a really good job and apart from one or two slightly dodgy episodes, I think his first series was excellent. I'd go as far as saying that perhaps it's the best of NuWho.

Moffat was a welcome change from RTD and the story arc over the entire series worked well.

The only really bad thing about that series was the abortion they made of the opening music and theme.

Compare this to the latest series and I just wonder what's been going on at the BBC. Chibnall and Whittaker should watch the first Matt Smith series and compare their efforts with that. Perhaps it'll give them an idea where they've gone so badly wrong.

Or perhaps they're still kidding themselves that they did a good job :rolleyes:

Soldato
As a long term Dr who fan I have watched all but the oldest black and white episodes, I hated every episode with jody in and I've cannot be bothered to watch it any more.. I think I only managed to watch 5 episodes and 3 of the 5 I only watched about half of it ... It always used to be on my much watch list now I don't even know if the show is still on

Back
Top Bottom