AiO Water Cooling

Associate
Doyll>It funny you should mention Thermalright. I remember years ago I was a user of their coolers. And at that time most of this forum mostly had Thermal True coolers. But I don't know why it happened or how but I have never considered Thermalright in this day in age or since I had one. When I had one the performance at the time was one of the best options at the time. So me and a few friend when we were all building our systems at the same time all got one I am pretty sure it was for the Q9450 era.

All I can remember besides how good the performance cooler wise for that chip at the time was the mounting system was frustating as hell. Once you got it locked down though it was rock solid and trying to attach fans via the supplied fan clips needed the manual dexterity of a master thief. I have no doubt since then they have refined it and simplified it yet since then I have never considered Thermalright as an alternative.

In fact at least from my perspective have hardly ever seen them in builds or mentioned. Granted I only visit this forum and one other but when I look at completed builds for ideas about most of them seem to be either Noctuas or Aios. I rarely see Thermalright in people builds. Why is this? Great products but lack of marketing? If the Thermalrights are more visually appealing and just as good performance if not better why are they not as common as noctuas based setups. I do not believe for one second somebody would pick a Noctua setup over a Thermalright setup based on looks alone.

Soldato
I've posted up a pic of my thermalright cooler. More to show off the narrow clearance than the build. £45 for near d15 performance with a very quiet fan. Sounds good to me.

Soldato
Indeed, Thermalright was one of the top selling cooler companies on the market for many years, but they depended on word of mouth and having the best quality and performance instead of mass marketing like other companies use and lost market share. They are still popular in the far east and many parts of Europe, but not so much here.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Questions:

1. Why is Corsair AiO so expensive ?

2. Difference between Fractal Design Kelvin vs S24 is what ? The only difference I saw is pipes and fittings, is that all ?

3. How many liters per hour does S24 have ? I saw somewhere that S36 have 40l/h, so does S24 have like 20 or something like that, and is that OK for 6700K, and some OC now and then ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
4. What do you say about Alphacool Eisbaer LT240 it's a pretty nice AiO water cooling, anyone test it ? It has 70l/h flow rate, but only one or somewhere two year warranty, that's not much...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
... I will buy Silent Loop because I know they have good customer support if I need it. Same with Fractal Design.

But Fractal Design is AiO CLC, you said that
There are basically 3 kinds of water cooling; custom loop, AIO that are not CLC and AIO that are CLC. CLC is a sub-group of AIO coolers. CLCs are all factory sealed with no provision to service and repair. The only thing you change is their fans. Asetek has the US patent on the concept of pump on waterblock in sealed loop system, so any company selling CLCs with pump on waterblock has had Asetek make it for them or is paying royalties to Asetek to be allowed to make their CLC. They all have aluminum radiators, no fittings, no fill port and a pump with about the same rate of flow as a healthy adult can pee after a few pints (up to 40-63L/h) .. by comparison arguable the most popular custom loop pump the D5 flows up to 1500L/h. Enermax Liqtech TR4 pump is rated 450L/h, but Enermax has had serious problems with some owners having had 2 units replaced because of pump problems .. so not a good unit to be considering either.

AIOs that are not CLC are ones like Swiftech H series which they make and sell .. or ones made by Alphacool makes like their own Eisbaer, Fractal Design Celcius and be quiet! Silent Loop. I won't buy Alphacool brand because of reports by owners with defective product who were having serious problems with Alphacool getting problem resolved. Maybe they have got better, I don't know. I will buy Silent Loop because I know they have good customer support if I need it. Same with Fractal Design.

As for air cooling, a good air cooler in a system with case airflow setup to match CPU and GPU air cooler airflow needs will run cool and quiet with same loads as CLCs can cool .. and do it with virtually no potential problems or failures and generally at much lower prices. They only thing that can fail in an air cooled system is fans .. easily replaced at low cost if one ever does fail .. and system is usable even with a fan not working or any fan can be used until new fan is in hand. With a CLC if it fails it's almost always the pump and you have no cooling until a new cooler is installed, so no computer to use and have to buy a new cooler costing several times more than a fan .. and that is if you have a fan go bad. I haven't had a fan fail me in .. I can't remember the last time I had a fan go bad .. it's been at least 10 years and I have 5 systems running here and have built hundreds.

CLCs cooling low wattage will last several years, but I have followed up talking to users who overclock to high wattage / heat and their is a direct correlation of CLC cooing high wattage having much shorter life than ones in low wattage use. CLC users with extreme overclocks often have problems after 1.5-2 years of use .. and when they change to a top tier air cooler end up with same temps and lower noise levels.

Using CLC or air cooling is your choice. What I've posted is in the hopes you will learn and understand why many of us will not use CLCs .. and also how many who started out using CLC changed to air cooling and are amazed at how much quieter their systems are .. at same and often lower temps.

But Fractal Design is AiO CLC...

Soldato
But Fractal Design is AiO CLC, you said that

But Fractal Design is AiO CLC...
Thanks for the quote. But are you talking about AIOs that are not CLCs, CLCs or are you mixing the CLC sub-group of AIOs and call them all AIO CLC?

There are 2 distinct kinds of AIOs, the ones that are CLCs and the ones that are not CLCs. To me AIOs are a different group from CLCs.

Fractal Design Celcius is and AIO that is not a CLC, but it is no longer being made and I haven't seen one being sold anywhere for some time.

It was made by Alphacool.

Fractal Design Kelvin is a CLC and is still being sold, but I wouldn't get one.

Soldato
While both are made by same company the be quiet! pump has some differences. Not sure how much those differences end up making, but little things that are visible like no swivel fittings being better than swivel fittings that can end up leaking is a good reason too.
I also prefer be quiet! with it's long history of great products and great customer support.

Associate
OP
While both are made by same company the be quiet! pump has some differences. Not sure how much those differences end up making, but little things that are visible like no swivel fittings being better than swivel fittings that can end up leaking is a good reason too.
I also prefer be quiet! with it's long history of great products and great customer support.

Ok, thats all good to know. But what about flow rate you think it's the same as on alphacool or ?

Associate
OP
Yes, I think flow rate is the same .. so should flow about 72 liter per hour. Not a lot of flow but significantly more than most CLCs do.

Thats the main reason why I got interested in Be Quiet.

OT:
I didn't have a chance to explore their water coolers but I had in my hands Silent Base 600 it's really dope.

Back
Top Bottom