Caffeine Detox Time

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I quit caffeine for a couple of months last year and felt better for it, I remember getting headaches and lower back pain for a week or two while I was going through withdrawals which was odd. I don't even drink particularly much either, 1-2 coffees a day and sometimes none on weekends.

To be honest the strength of those coffees could be more telling. The coffee I had in the morning was a double espresso, I'd estimate around 150mg caffeine. Most people who have an instant coffee will be getting around 50mg.

The lower back pain is normal, this is caused by your bowels getting upset at the lack of coffee and some mild constipation.

I assume your back "using" again? :p

Soldato
I think I need to look at cutting down a bit, drink about 5 cups a day (can be as many as 8 sometimes) due to working in an office and folks always offering to make drinks.

Yesterday I had two cups before 12:30 and then due to meetings and workload, didn't have another cup. Went home with a splitting headache. Made a coffee when I got back and within 20 minutes of drinking it, headache was gone.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I think I need to look at cutting down a bit, drink about 5 cups a day (can be as many as 8 sometimes) due to working in an office and folks always offering to make drinks.

Yesterday I had two cups before 12:30 and then due to meetings and workload, didn't have another cup. Went home with a splitting headache. Made a coffee when I got back and within 20 minutes of drinking it, headache was gone.

I find the dependency and constant need to get the fix a real big turn off tbh.

Soldato
I find the dependency and constant need to get the fix a real big turn off tbh.

It's mainly just habit and especially during the cold winter months, a warm cup of coffee is hard to say no to. Wouldn't even say i've been enjoying it half the time

I've had a single cup when i got up this morning and had a cup of tea since, i can feel the edges of an encroaching headache appearing as I type this.

Pet Northerner
Don
I suffer from anxiety and take propranolol to help control my heart rate (my anxiety can cause my resting HR to ping from 60 to 140). Since starting on meds I changed to decaf coffee and I drink redbush tea.

Soldato
Yea it's best to do 1 thing at a time.

What's hard when you take caffeine out of the equation is what do have as a pick me up. I'm coming down with a cold and would usually have coffee to help me feel less ****.
I realised this morning when I got up to make a coffee that I didn't drink any caffeine yesterday, by accident :p So I've carried it on today. I had a slight headache this morning but that could attributed partly to having a few pints and not enough fluids in general yesterday. Other than that feeling fine. I will continue.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I realised this morning when I got up to make a coffee that I didn't drink any caffeine yesterday, by accident :p So I've carried it on today. I had a slight headache this morning but that could attributed partly to having a few pints and not enough fluids in general yesterday. Other than that feeling fine. I will continue.

ooohh, caffeine detox friends!

Associate
I used to drink 5+ cups a day at work , switched to green /herbal tea instead.
Found that I slept better, I do feel the difference now when I do have a coffee when required for long hours / staying awake etc.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I used to drink 5+ cups a day at work , switched to green /herbal tea instead.
Found that I slept better, I do feel the difference now when I do have a coffee when required for long hours / staying awake etc.

This is one of the things I am very interested in being caffeine free. When I do need a boost, I will definitely feel it!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
This morning I've been feeling the drain of this damn man flu (cold) so I've had my first cup of coffee in 10 days. 30 minutes after drinking it I feel the full hit, so looks like the detox was good in resetting my tolerance. I don't plan to have anymore coffee over the weekend to prevent a habit creeping back in, so for now I'll use it as a tool and potentially apply it to the gym at some point.

Associate
To be honest the strength of those coffees could be more telling. The coffee I had in the morning was a double espresso, I'd estimate around 150mg caffeine. Most people who have an instant coffee will be getting around 50mg.

The lower back pain is normal, this is caused by your bowels getting upset at the lack of coffee and some mild constipation.

I assume your back "using" again? :p

Yep I'm back on the coffee now but just one in the morning usually. I've been thinking about stopping again recently as part of a trial on how it affects my sleep so I might give it a go when my current bag of beans runs out...

Soldato
This morning I've been feeling the drain of this damn man flu (cold) so I've had my first cup of coffee in 10 days. 30 minutes after drinking it I feel the full hit, so looks like the detox was good in resetting my tolerance. I don't plan to have anymore coffee over the weekend to prevent a habit creeping back in, so for now I'll use it as a tool and potentially apply it to the gym at some point.
That's good to hear after only 10 days. I was talking to someone at work about this earlier who says she borderline gets the shakes after a strong cup of coffee. 'If only' was my reply...

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
That's good to hear after only 10 days. I was talking to someone at work about this earlier who says she borderline gets the shakes after a strong cup of coffee. 'If only' was my reply...

Was she having a large Starbucks with an extra shot with the equivalent of 20 sugars. Probably is my guess.

Most people won't know how to properly dose caffeine. The most I've taken is about 600mg but that was in competition.

Man of Honour
IIRC 3mg per kg BW is the general dose touted as showing the best effect on athletic performance in studies. Which sounds about right, just over 300mg gives me a full kick up the arse.

Soldato
@LiE pls respond

I had my first coffee since 16th Jan this morning as I had a late night so the 5:30 alarm took its toll. Wanted to see if I would feel any feels.. Didn't really feel any noticeable effects of the coffee :o

Cant say I've really noticed anything from being "off" caffeine either. 5:30 alarm still sucks until I get up and about. Don't feel like I have any increase in consistency of energy levels still fluctuate throughout the day. Not sure what to believe.

Soldato
I seriously need to consider this. I had cut down to 1 coffee a day then decaffs. Yesterday I had 2 coffees (one with a double shot) both before mid day, then a Dr Pepper zero at around 7:30 PM....didn't get to sleep till 2am, even though I was in bed by 11pm RIP

Back
Top Bottom