New Portable Editing Machine

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
That's why the iPad Pro was somewhat appealing to me. I don't have the means to print so all of my photography is pretty much edited then posted to 500px, Instagram and DeviantArt.

Is it possible to create panorama stitches on iOS?

Don't get me wrong, I would love another Macbook Pro but cost vs what I'd use it for is kind of hard to swallow!

Yes, you can do it with Affinity Photo, which I use but have never tried it...

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/ipad/video/287226719/

Soldato
I'd go for the new MacBook Air. If it is just for travel then storage shouldn't be an issue, and neither should the lack of grunt if you're not needing to edit through hundreds of photos in one go. I have a 2017 13" MBP and would rather have the new Air. I don't need the 4 USB-C ports, and I prefer the form factor of the Air.

Associate
Not sure I'd be spending that sort of money on a new laptop with just a dual core processor, when for similar money you can get a quad-core variant that is significantly faster and is going to last you longer.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
The screen on the new Air is noticeably less bright and IMO inferior to the Pro - plus slower processors on whichever model you get. Yes it is a hair thinner but you are never going to notice the difference.

If you want to go down the MacBook route, you should consider the baseline model (2017 Pro, Non Touch Bar with a 256Gb SSD) - if you keep an eye on the Bay you can easily pick one up for £900 delivered or less. (I got mine with just 14 battery cycles and Apple warranty to November for £900 - its basically a brand new machine!)

I feel we are only a couple of years away from seeing tablets that can replace laptops (i.e. mouse support on iPad Pro! Proper support for external displays!) and at that point, it seems like that would be a logical next machine. My plan is to keep this dual core MBP for 2-3 years then look at a more hybrid solution.

Alternatively the Touch Bar Quad Core model was retailing for £1299 in quite a few places last week - might happen again :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Back from visiting Apple and Currys today and find myself even more unsure to be honest, I think it's just where I am trying to replace a device that has been my soul device for six years! I really found myself enjoying the iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil felt really good for some editing stuff and almost think it's what I want. I completely and very quickly wrote off all of the Windows machines that I tried. Another Macbook Pro would be nice but the cost for 256GB is eye watering to me. I'm thinking I'll go the iPad Pro route for now as I mostly just import, adjust and share my photos so it'll cover all my bases for now and then invest in a new Macbook Pro when I want to move onto actual edits opposed to adjustments and touch ups.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Back from visiting Apple and Currys today and find myself even more unsure to be honest, I think it's just where I am trying to replace a device that has been my soul device for six years! I really found myself enjoying the iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil felt really good for some editing stuff and almost think it's what I want. I completely and very quickly wrote off all of the Windows machines that I tried. Another Macbook Pro would be nice but the cost for 256GB is eye watering to me. I'm thinking I'll go the iPad Pro route for now as I mostly just import, adjust and share my photos so it'll cover all my bases for now and then invest in a new Macbook Pro when I want to move onto actual edits opposed to adjustments and touch ups.
What’s your budget?

Associate
OP
What’s your budget?
Originally I was looking at around the £700-£800 mark maximum. That's the reason I've been looking at Windows machines and the iPad. As per my OP I have a Thinkpad T430s that does all of my general computing so this second device needs to have a good screen, import and make adjustments to RAWs and be able to share them to Instagram, Flickr, DeviantArt and 500px.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Originally I was looking at around the £700-£800 mark maximum. That's the reason I've been looking at Windows machines and the iPad. As per my OP I have a Thinkpad T430s that does all of my general computing so this second device needs to have a good screen, import and make adjustments to RAWs and be able to share them to Instagram, Flickr, DeviantArt and 500px.
iPad Pro or my MacBook Pro (£900) suggestion above is the way forward I reckon :)

Back
Top Bottom