• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080ti cards failing ?

Soldato
I actually have 4 defective cards !!!

But I am not taking about Turing, I am talking about the 290X from AMD. Every single card they produced from that range had a built in defect and unfortunately for a lot of users it resulted in black screens at stock, for others like me it only appeared when the cards were very overclocked. The point I am making is I did not see people like you making post after post about it, AMD got away light on that one as people blamed the fault on drivers when in actual fact it was hardware based and to do with a weakness in the output of the cards.

I think your problem and some other peoples problem is not with defective Turing cards but with other things to do with the cards. If AMD had a card that was 30% faster than anything in the Turing range I don't think we would see all these defective 2080 Ti posts from people who don't even use the cards. As to Gripen's failures I was very sorry to hear about them but he did not carry on making loads of negative posts on the subject like some people who have not even used the cards, he went out and got some more NVidia cards.

Yes there have been some defective 2080 Ti cards but the numbers don't seem to be growing much and the percentage of total sales that are faulty is decreasing all the time which is good news for end users, would you agree?

You have 4 defective cards. Really? Well, they didn't you return them? Why hold on to 4 cards that you know think are faulty? What kind of person does that. Or maybe you didn't return them because they aren't actually faulty at all? You are saying AMD got off lightly with the 290 cards? LOL are you for real? They got lambasted on the various tech forums, here included. Remember all the memes about been too hot and too loud and then the black screen issue with the reference cards been added to the mix. There were two issues with the 290 cards, the reference PCB used Elpdia memory which was replaced by Hynix and Samsung memory in later versions and there was a signal loss in some cards that was fixed by a driver update. The AMD forums were full of people complaining and they got torn to pieces on all the forums and rightly so, the cards had problems. I think the RMA rate was somewhere around 8% according to reports a year or so after launch.

Your next sentence is bizarre. It's almost as bad as when you accused me of wishing that people's 2080ti cards fail. Where do you draw the line? What about the Vega, Polaris and Hawaii cards. There was tons of hate posted about all those cards on this forum from people who didn't own the cards and would never, ever buy one. You didn't seem to take any issue with those. Besides, I haven't been going around posting a ton of negative posts about these cards, I have just posted about 2080Ti's failing in the 2080Ti cards failing thread. As for Gripen90, you are wrong, he put up a good few posts talking negatively about these cards. Here is one of his quotes.

I don't think it's blown out of proprotion ! Several people had numerous replacement cards failing too. I have had 1x Gainward RTX 2080Ti Phoenix Golden Sample, 2x MSI RTX 2080 Duke OC, 1x Gigabyte RTX 2070 Gaming OC fail on me. 4 RTX cards within a months time that fail - that is more than I have had to RMA through last 20years of graphics cards, and I've hand around 180 pieces through my hands. That is not a particularly succesfull rate in my book !.

You seem to be trying very hard to make this into some kind of AMD vs Nvidia thing. Why would I care what cards he replaced his 2080ti with, as long as he is happy with the replacements, that's all that matters.

AS for the numbers decreasing, are they? Most of the failures occurred in November, just this weekend I see two more people with issues and one of them has issued an RMA. I hope you are right and they issues with these cards have been sorted, but it's too early to say right now.

Associate

Besides, I haven't been going around posting a ton of negative posts about these cards, I have just posted about 2080Ti's failing in the 2080Ti cards failing thread. As for Gripen90, you are wrong, he put up a good few posts talking negatively about these cards. Here is one of his quotes.

Of course, 4 defective cards would make anyone negative in that regard. However, we still have a RTX 2080 in the house (my wifes, her 3rd card from RMA), and I grabbed a pair of GTX 1080Ti's again.

Soldato
You cant prove anything either pal... but keep typing it’s really good. Ignore anyone who says otherwise, no problem.

Was away for the weekend and come back to this post.

You say that this is all crazy talk, that there is no issues with the cards at all that the RMAs are all due to the systems that people are putting these cards in to. Your theory is entirely down to some people having multiple RMAs and that your cards aren't giving you any trouble. Think this sums up everything you said, I haven't ignored anything. Ok, First of all, delighted to hear that your cards are working well, hope they never give you any trouble. Warranties are great to have but it's still annoying to have to go through the RMA process, so hope you never have to.

You talk about me ignoring what people say while completely ignoring everything in my post. Let's start again, I will write down why it can't be the computers causing the problems and if you disagree with the points say why you disagree with them.

First point. Most of the time, the people who are likely to spend £1000 GPU on a graphic card have great computers and usually they are pretty competent. They buy the best and pay big money for that.

Second point. If one of your 2080Ti cards failed and somebody on the internet said it was because of your computer, you would say it wasn't, how could it be? as the other 2080Ti is working perfectly. If you went though an RMA and got a second bad card you would maybe start to doubt your system, but again, the other 2080Ti is working well so you RMA again and this time the replacement works well. That rules out the computer wouldn't you say? So how can it be the system causing the problems for those guys with multiple failures when they finally get working cards?

Third point. You completely ignored the examples in my last post, but, here they are again. @Gripen90 had multiple RTX cards fail on him but on different computers. And his 1080TI cards that he is using now are working perfectly. So how is it his system? Kyle over on hardocp had a card fail, got a replacement put it in a different system and it failed. Then there is the guy who had 4 failures, after his second failure blamed his computer and changed up, got two more failures afterwards.

Last point. You say the computers are the cause of the problems and the RMA rates on these cards is completely normal. Completely ignoring the fact that Nvidia has admitted there are issues with these cards. Which you can bet your bottom dollar that they wouldn't have done if the RMA rates weren't anything like normal rates.

Soldato
Of course, 4 defective cards would make anyone negative in that regard. However, we still have a RTX 2080 in the house (my wifes, her 3rd card from RMA), and I grabbed a pair of GTX 1080Ti's again.

I understand completely. My point was that you did moan about them. And if you read further down in my post, I did mention that as long as you are happy with the replacements that's all that matters.

Soldato
I understand completely. My point was that you did moan about them. And if you read further down in my post, I did mention that as long as you are happy with the replacements that's all that matters.

Actually what matters is the shoddy quality of products Nvidia is selling right now for over £1000 price tag.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
£2499 pounds i think. That would be 3100 dollars.
That is not how it works. All these cards are purchased in dollars by retailers here.

The dollar value shown does not include what we call vat (called state sales tax in usa, which varies from state to state, some pay none, some pay 7% or so).

So first you have to convert the dollars into pounds then add vat (20% we pay) to get a rough idea of the cost in pounds.

Just pumped the numbers into google:

$2500 = £1966.21 x 1.2 (vat we have to pay) = £2359.45

Associate
Resurrecting the thread, so I had IRQL crash errors since purchase which are now generally accepted show a faulty card, both cards showed it and I've been liaising with Nvidia support and doing various tests on my system as each driver comes out since Christmas; this latest 417.71 driver seems to have fixed my issues, not had a crash since installing; touch wood it stays that way, if not both cards are being RMA'd.

Associate
Zotac amp 2080ti broke in less than a week last night. Space invaders artefacts all over screen then hard crash. Also had a palit rtx2070 failed a few weeks ago after playing hitman 2 with same issue in less than 5 minutes

Back
Top Bottom