Windows 10? Why?

Associate
My biggest issue with Windows 10 is the stutter when running two monitors of mixed refresh rate. I've only got it on my second PC for playing videos, netflix etc.

The only solution was to run one on the main GPU and the other on integrated.

I use 7 for my main PC and will be sad when i'm finally forced onto it after this year. As someone said before, it just feels like a tablet OS.

V F

V F

Soldato
Sometimes I love forums. :D

Jazmac said:
Ahh yes. The infamous, Fix to fix a Fix.

Liberi_Fatali said:
but if the fix doesn't fix the fix, does that mean they would issue a fix to fix what was supposed to fix the fix?

Jazmac said:
Exactly! Otherwise, the fix that was to fix the fix but didn't fix it would need to be fixed so that the fix that would fix the fix would work. AKA service pack. /s

Man of Honour
With Windows 10 you really have to set Active Hours and such like up. I'm not happy having little control over it but you can disable the service if you're having issues. I get them trying to make it more secure but it's not as flexible as I would like.

Active hours is almost entirely useless unless your computer use is very regimented - I work varying shifts and often have periods where I will have several days off in a row or working many days in a row without a fixed pattern and active hours is laughable in that context same with most of the other settings. Since one of the more recent updates the OS is hardcoded to try and restart the update service periodically or force the upgrade assistant if that fails so that isn't the most useful any more either.

The other annoyance then is that most of the ways to take control of updates make it more complicated if you do need or want to keep on top of security updates in a more controlled but timely fashion while there is a script that Dirk has posted a few times that works quite well it is still, atleast for my use, not as complete a solution as I'd like or have setup in Windows 7.

Soldato
Even setting up schedules and tailoring the OS to your specific requirements, there's no guarantee a patch won't undo all your work and restore Microsoft's control over it.

Soldato
It's a shame. Windows 10 is almost a microcosm of the PC gaming industry - some decent stuff underneath, but generally overshadowed by ridiculous in-your-face rubbish and all around poor decisions.

Once Windows 7 is up i'm just removing my Windows partition. But since Steam Proton i'm not as worried, it's a really decent system with incredible potential.

Soldato
My nephew been worked on my sister old PC wanted to recovered all users videos, pictures, musics and files as he had lots of videos and pictures from his teenager years. It used my old AMD Phenom X4 9950 CPU, Windows 7 Home Premium, 4GB RAM and old Western Digital WD2500 250GB SATA2 300 hard disk. Last time PC was used in February 2014 included Windows Update but he struggled to recovered all files as Windows 7 ran very slow struggled with 4GB RAM and 250GB SATA2 hard disk, apps was unresponsive for a few mins so he found Windows 7 unusable and now he left his PC to me to sort it out to recovered all users files as he now back in the Army for a few weeks.

I had very interested week with my sister old PC to recovered videos and pictures for nephew. Tried to booted PC with onboard Geforce 8200 GPU but HDMI to DVI adapter didn't worked with no signal so I tried to installed old GTX 1070 card in and tried DVI port with adapter still not worked with no signal then used HDMI cable worked and I was very surprised to see ancient PC with old OCZ Z850 series PSU booted with GTX 1070 just fine and later I was shocked to see fully updated Windows 7 unusable with 4GB while memory usage was very high, struggled to run latest Chrome and Mozilla versions and 2-3 applications with apps froze and unresponsive every few mins made files recovery impossible.

BI6yUoX.jpg

mtiGs1o.jpg

Tried cloned hard disk to 1TB SSD on 250GB partition created and issue still same after reinstalled Windows 7 and Windows Update was fully updated. Installed Norton Security, Spybot and Malwarebytes to scanned for viruses and trojans then tried upgraded it to Windows 10 Home 1809 and incredible Windows 10 with latest updates ran blazed fast and very responsive with apps no longer froze every few mins on 4GB RAM.

MmNSFCg.png

AoX65td.png

Wow what a massive differences and huge improvements moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Didnt realised I noticed fonts on Windows 7 looked grainy while fonts on Windows 10 looked much better, very clean and sharper while Windows 7 had very poor DPI scaling and also task manager was very limited. Windows 10 task manager and DPI scaling are much better than Windows 7. Not surprised Windows 7 was horrible slowed with all Windows updates fully updated while Windows 10 1809 ran much faster with all Windows updates full updated.

Decided to installed Steam to see how well Prey and Resident Evil 2 run on 4GB RAM which is far below 8GB RAM minimum system requirement and I was very impressed it ran incredible fine with GTX 1070 on 11 years old ASRock K10N78FullHD-hSLI R3.0 motherboard with ancient OCZ Z850 series PSU, 1TB SSD, ancient AMD Phenom X4 9950 CPU and 4GB RAM. :cool: :D

Flcibds.png

yHTP3od.png

tzHCUa4.png

5qxELQD.png

iCZht37.png

cc6Sbeu.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Wow what a massive differences and huge improvements moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

That is because something was broken with the 7 install - I've still got my old Q9550 with 4GB RAM kicking around and depending on what I'm doing either GTX780 or 970 in it and it still runs as well as ever other than some newer games need more than 4GB RAM really.

Trying to compare a broken 7 install to a fresh install to 10 to make 7 seem poor is a bit dubious at best.

Not sure what was causing 4372MB commit - probably malware or something - but that would have caused the OS constantly to page from disc with immense slowdown - that isn't normal Windows 7 behaviour.

Soldato
That is because something was broken with the 7 install - I've still got my old Q9550 with 4GB RAM kicking around and depending on what I'm doing either GTX780 or 970 in it and it still runs as well as ever other than some newer games need more than 4GB RAM really.

Trying to compare a broken 7 install to a fresh install to 10 to make 7 seem poor is a bit dubious at best.

Been tried cleaned installed Windows 7 on SSD first but it ran poor with Windows updates fully updated, Wndows 10 1809 put Windows 7 to shame. Then after that I formatted partition and cloned old 250GB hard disk partition to SSD.

Man of Honour
Been tried cleaned installed Windows 7 on SSD first but it ran poor with Windows updates fully updated, Wndows 10 1809 put Windows 7 to shame. Then after that I formatted partition and cloned old 250GB hard disk partition to SSD.

A fresh install of 7 runs very well so I dunno what you broke I'm sure.

Associate
My biggest issue with Windows 10 is the stutter when running two monitors of mixed refresh rate. I've only got it on my second PC for playing videos, netflix etc.

The only solution was to run one on the main GPU and the other on integrated.

I use 7 for my main PC and will be sad when i'm finally forced onto it after this year. As someone said before, it just feels like a tablet OS.
Stutters in games or?

Soldato
I'm quite a big fan of Windows 10. It offers some beneficial features. My favourite is the built-in SSH client, and Windows Subsystem for Linux is pretty cool as well. Furthermore, it feels swift and responsive to me, and the DirectX 12 support is a big win as well.

Don

Nothing to do with Windows 10 being better - None of my Windows 7 installs have ever had that issue with SVCHost

SVCHost using 2.5GB of ram is broken.... Could just as easily happen on Windows 10 I imagine and will cripple it all the same

Man of Honour
I could ask you the same thing ie fresh install of 10 works very well, so don't know what you broke on 10 ;) .

Eh? most of my complaints with 10 have been about the updates system which has been hitting the news every few days lately in a negative light.

Soldato
Eh? most of my complaints with 10 have been about the updates system which has been hitting the news every few days lately in a negative light.

My point is most Operating systems are stable on fresh installs, getting to your other point, yes I have stated many times Microsoft have gotten sloppy on their OS updates, they need to do more testing before releasing them as official updates.

Side Note: I have been lucky on the last few updates, no issues on my Win 10 PCs, but then that does not take away the fact that Microsoft are doing themselves more harm then good with their lazy testing attitude.

Sooner or later they must realise they need to slow down and put quality updates over quantity first.

Soldato
Windows 7 is the best OS they did, I dont care what any one says 8 and 8.1 were both utter trash, even Vista was better providing you had enough ram.

10 I quite like, def better than 8/8.1, its only downside is the MS store which is just awful and having to tweak privacy settings as MS like to change them in updates

Back
Top Bottom