New build but same games crashing as old build?

Associate
Hey,

I had a previous custom build for gaming and was experiencing crashes on a few games; Farcry 5, Jurassic World Evolution, Shadow of War. I tried everything I could think of such as checking for overheating, reinstalling the games, verify files, updating drivers/windows and nothing worked.

So i decided to start basically fresh as some of the components were a bit dated. So I now have:

MSI B450m PRO M2 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
8GB LPX 3000mhz Corsair RAM
850w Corsair PSU
GTX 780ti (the only part from the previous PC)
Kingston SA4000 240gb SSD

Now this makes me think there is an issue with the GPU however I played about 40 hours on the old build on Hitman 2, shadow of the tomb raider, battlefield 1. And these are still working fine on the new build too.

I also stress tested the GPU and had no crashes or overheating.

Nothing is overclocked currently.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Associate
OP
Did you reinstall your operating system fresh? That's the first thing that jumps out at me.
It was a completely fresh install of Windows 10 on the SSD with a new key and everything.

Its Ryzen, have you fully tested the RAM is working correctly.
I ran a memory diagnostic tool and nothing showed as an issue. But my previous setup was an i7 2600K with 8GB DDR3 RAM and still having the same crashes.

Soldato
Somehow you need to test it with another GPU. If you've changed everything including OS apart from GPU and you're getting exactly the same kind of crashes in those particular games then my finger would be pointing towards your 780TI.

Associate
Somehow you need to test it with another GPU. If you've changed everything including OS apart from GPU and you're getting exactly the same kind of crashes in those particular games then my finger would be pointing towards your 780TI.

This ^, it seems to be the main thing that's pointing towards your crashes so would probably be your best bet for now

Associate
OP
Yeah, i've been thinking the same but hoping it could be avoided. Off the back of that, does anyone have any recommendations for a card that would offer similar/better performance but for as little money as possible? Ive looked at the 1070's but its still £350, any Radeon cards that might be an option? I have very little knowledge on them..

Associate
Yeah, i've been thinking the same but hoping it could be avoided. Off the back of that, does anyone have any recommendations for a card that would offer similar/better performance but for as little money as possible? Ive looked at the 1070's but its still £350, any Radeon cards that might be an option? I have very little knowledge on them..
First thing's first, what's your budget?

Associate
OP
Sorry, I forgot to mention. The PSU was also from the prior build, do you think this could have an effect? I would have thought not, considering this would happen under load so wouldn't have thought it would happen with specific games, rather any game that increases the pull on the GPU as well as the stress test.

Soldato
What windows build are you running ? Long as it's 1503 Nd over as I believe that's windows anniversary, any sooner and windows wiashes as ryzen wasn't out before previous builds .

Also, is ram at default 2400hz ? Give that a try, yes performance will be effected but just trouble shooting everything else as GPU as been mentioned

Soldato
.. does anyone have any recommendations for a card that would offer similar/better performance but for as little money as possible?..
If you can't borrow one from your mates and you want to get exactly the same performance for as little money then I'd probably get a second hand GTX970 from the Bay, the last 10 or so twin fan ones that I've just checked sold for ~£100 some slightly less a few slightly more. If you want to go new then the 1060 is a bit faster than your 780Ti - opt for the 6GB version

Back
Top Bottom