What are your 2019 photography plans?

Soldato
Hey guys,

What are your photography plans for 2019?

Any new gear on the horizon? Any trips planned?

Personally, continue to practice and practice, hoping to head up to Scotland and the Isle of Skye, perhaps Snowdonia to get some landscape photography in.

How about yourselves?

Soldato
I haven't been able to devote anywhere near as much time as I'd like in the past couple of years, but equally I don't think I've think I've really made the effort either. I binned Nikon and the D750 and switched to the A7iii, and I think that's going to help with my main motivation - trying to capture better video and then subsequently improve production and editing.

For stills, my 2019 goal is the same as it is pretty much every year - make an effort to take the time to do a decent session for astro photography. I've got the lens, got a decent camera for it and have bought a holiday home in a not a dark sky area but certainly pretty dim so I don't really have the excuse.

I think I just bought my extra gear for the year, with a Sony 70-200 f/4. Nothing else planned - I'm saving for my wife's 40th and a new motorbike for me :)

Associate
I'm heading out to Sweden from 4th to 15th February. Spending five days in Abisko/Kiruna so I'll definitely be trying to capture the Northern Lights.
Hoping to also visit either Norway or Finland later this year (October-ish). I'm a sucker for a pretty landscape.

As per my thread in Photography, I'm also hunting for a travel companion for photo editing. So that will be my new year for 2019!

Soldato
For me its getting back into photography, in the last 5 years I'd had so much change with work, home, family that taking photos completely dropped by the wayside other than the odd family snap here and there.

So end of last year I sold all my old Canon and Studio kit and cut over to Sony and found the different between old and new massive. Last few months has been lots of reading and watching of photography related content to re-learn everything I had forgotten and get ideas on what I would like to attempt over the year. Also joined a local photography club which has a monthly competition so should also give me some motivation, used to enjoy the OcUK one.

Once the weather improves I'm going to sort some trips where I can incorporate photography and at the end of the year we normally have our main family holiday where for the past couple of years I've put together a video of the trip, so need to plan ideas for this one.

Caporegime
You know most of mine already :p
Anyway...

- Mount Rainer in Feb
- Giants Causway in March
- Matterhorn in May
- Glencoe/Scotland at "some point"

In terms of gear. I'm going to be investing a lot into hiking gear for these places. I'll have to get a proper telephoto (which means there is only one really) - I'd LOVE to get a Sony A7R3 and 2 lenses with that but frankly with the current planned trips, and other personal stuff going on, I just doubt I will have a spare 6 grand to drop on that :) - But its not like I am lacking camera gear anyway.

I will buy more filters though. Those will be necessary for the above trips.

Caporegime
Anyway...

- Mount Rainer in Feb
- Matterhorn in May

In terms of gear. I'm going to be investing a lot into hiking gear for these places. I'll have to get a proper telephoto (which means there is only one really) - I'd LOVE to get a Sony A7R3 and 2 lenses with that but frankly with the current planned trips, and other personal stuff going on, I just doubt I will have a spare 6 grand to drop on that :) - But its not like I am lacking camera gear anyway.

Telephoto for m43? Oly 300mm?

And

And

Associate
Run some wildlife photography workshops (kingfisher, possibly little owl), keep putting more work into landscape photography and more walking in Snowdonia, annual trips (3) already booked for the Inner and Outer Hebrides, get up to the Cairngorms again (soon), and I'd really like to go on a couple of guided trips (Iceland or Svalbard for wildlife/landscapes, southern Spain for birds).

Soldato
Anyway...

- Mount Rainer in Feb
- Matterhorn in May

Mount rainier in Seattle? If you're out in Washington state there's such a wealth of things to photograph .I absolutely love second beach at La Push and the rainforest is incredible .That'll be an awesome trip

Caporegime
Mount rainier in Seattle? If you're out in Washington state there's such a wealth of things to photograph .I absolutely love second beach at La Push and the rainforest is incredible .That'll be an awesome trip
As mentioned, work are sending me. So its not a holiday holiday. I get 1 day to myself so I am going to see if I can find a place to photograph Mount Rainer :)

Soldato
Practice, practice and more practice for me. Fortunately, I now live right out in the sticks surrounded by nature and I have an endless supply of subject material.

Getting good use of both long telephoto and wide angle lenses.

Soldato
I'm hoping to get back into photography. Not really done anything the past couple of years.

I need to sort my collection of photos out as well, i just have them grouped by year at the minute literally just dump everything off the camera into the folders, need to be selective about which ones i keep. Though i do like to just keep the RAWs then you can always edit them later on. Don't see the point in converting to Jpeg unless im printing them.

Soldato
As mentioned, work are sending me. So its not a holiday holiday. I get 1 day to myself so I am going to see if I can find a place to photograph Mount Rainer :)
There's a famous park where you get the money shot of Seattle with rainier in the background, however having clear skies for it can be very hot and miss, the weather there isn't usually the clearest!

I'm off to New Zealand South Island this year so hope to get a few good snaps there. I'd also like to up my appas game now I'm kitted out for it. I'd ideally like to do some camping trips but it's tough when you live in London and don't own a car!

Caporegime
There's a famous park where you get the money shot of Seattle with rainier in the background, however having clear skies for it can be very hot and miss, the weather there isn't usually the clearest!

Yep, Kerry Park! Looked that up yesterday. Its a 45min walk from the hotel. So I'll definitely go there around sunset/evening and hope for the best. Unlikely to happen in Feb but I have more chance of getting the shot if I am there than not! :D

I'm off to New Zealand South Island this year so hope to get a few good snaps there. I'd also like to up my appas game now I'm kitted out for it. I'd ideally like to do some camping trips but it's tough when you live in London and don't own a car!

Oh man you're gonna love it. Just drive, drive and drive more. South Island of NZ is absolutely STUNNING. Some places I recommend you check out:

- Piction with a river cruise. Breathtaking views
- Milford Sound
- Kaikoura
- Mount Cook
- Lake Tekapo

I've got hundreds of photos of the place. I'll dig some out and get them hosted then send you some links.

Back
Top Bottom