• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX Vega 64 vs. GeForce RTX 2080, Adrenalin 2019 Edition Driver Update Benchmark Test

Soldato
Thought this video was worth a thread. Like the guy uploading the video I was also quite surprised by some of the results. Has expected the 2080 wins in most of the games but not by has much I was expecting.

From video description

Radeon RX Vega 64 vs. GeForce RTX 2080 2019 update A like or share (e.g Reddit) helps a lot. Thank you. all 1440p

00:01 - Assassin's Creed Origins | very high
02:11 - Battlefield 1 | high
02:57 - Battlefield V | high
04:06 - Civilzation 6 | max
04:36 - Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 | max
05:26 - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided | very high
07:04 - Far Cry 5 | high (HD textures)
08:00 - Fortnite: Battle Royale | high
09:21 - Forza Horizon 4 | ultra
10:50 - Monster Hunter: World | high
12:20 - PUBG | high
13:13 - Shadow of the Tomb Raider | highest
14:41 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege | very high
15:29 - Total War: Warhammer II | high
16:31 - Wolfenstein 2 | max

General Notes: Thought it's time to compare the two post Adrenalin- and pre Vega VII launch and see where they stand and how the performance delta is now in certain games.
The colors are different because of Nvidia's default hdmi color range settings (can be changed to full, but I forgot)

I tend to set presets to max only in well optimized games, where the visual benefits outweigh the loss in performance (is rarely the case).

Since the RTX is factory OC I gave the RX Vega 64 a easy OC that everybody should be able to achieve with a few clicks: Undervolted the P6 state by 50mV, increased the PT by 25% and overclocked HBM by 100Mhz. I expect many Vega buyers do that anyway.

Game Notes:
Despite BFV being a "Nvidia game" Vega 64 comes much closer to the 2080 than in BF1. Surprising.

Surprise win for Vega in Civilization 6.

Far Cry 5: As to be expected both cards are not that far apart.

Fortnite: Something is wrong here. AMD GPUs do not well in this UE game in general, but it seem there is a terrible software bottleneck now. I will have a closer look again (could be the latest patch)

Forza Horizon 4: Just like with prior Forza games, Nvidia has improved the performance post launch significantly. Almost all tests online comparing Nvidia and AMD have been done with pre-game-ready Nvidia drivers and early game builds.

Wolfenstein II implements Nvidia's Content Adaptive Shading which helps the 2080 to pull ahead further. The RX still performs great here nonetheless.

Hope you liked that video.
Intel Core i9-9900K at 4.0Ghz 2x8GB DDR4-3400 Palit GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming Pro OC Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 Limited Edition

Lets look at RE2 Demo "YEAH I KNOW ITS A DEMO"

VEGA shows good gains here and its defo not running OC!!

Again more
Look at the Battlefield 5 performance! Its clear to see that VEGA can do really well when either the game is optimised for VEGA or AMD is just getting more out of VEGA lately. I tell you what its interesting to keep an eye on VEGA and see how well it ages.
Ryzen 5 was used this time

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
X470 ASRock Master SLI
GSkill F4-3200C15D-16GTZKO

SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon RX 64 -
MSI RTX 2080 TRIO Corsair AX 860

1440p high

This guy understands

MiauX2 months ago
Factory OC 2080 vs full stock Vega 64 and Vega its still competitive with a 900€ GPU. Not a bad buy in my book

Edit
And point proven again this time with HBM OC and Ultra BF5 1440p

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks good to me, bring on Radeon VII! Just curious to see how it does for AC Origins & Odyssey as my main reasons to upgrade are those 2, preferably at 4K 140-160% render scale. Vega 64 does well enough with how gimped Ubisoft games in Anvil 2.0 are at 4K but I want to push a bit more even if it keeps me near 30 fps. Also for DX:MD, one of the best showcases for higher res imo; for as badly as the character's faces look, as gorgeous are the environments.

Associate
Good video comparison. I don't think the NAS feature should be turned on in Wolfenstein for proper comparison since technically the RTX is rendering less, but either way I'm happy I have a vega. Definitely excited for Radeon VII!!!

Man of Honour
The guy should not have given the Vega card an overclock as it is too big and totally trashed the comparison making the video pointless.

The 2080 card used in the video has an 1815mhz boost clock compared to a Founders Edition card with 1800mhz, less than 1% difference.

Associate
The guy should not have given the Vega card an overclock as it is too big and totally trashed the comparison making the video pointless.

The 2080 card used in the video has an 1815mhz boost clock compared to a Founders Edition card with 1800mhz, less than 1% difference.

I watched the video and the 2080 is at 1930-1950mhz and the Vega is at 1550-1580? Both cards can be pushed more but these are respectable clocks.

For half the price V64 looks great.

Soldato

To be fair there’s not a lot you can squeeze out of a stock v64 without going into silly tdp.

I always take user benchmarks with a pinch of salt. Another civ VI bench I watched last night shows a 1080 being a lot higher than a vega 64 let alone a 2080!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Vega card was hardly overclocked kaap. All he done was fixed the throttling that would happen out the box.
1500 is nothing compared to the Liquid version that can hit 1600 out the box and then pushed to 1700 with tweaking.

Soldato
OP
That is wrong to presume imo, lucky if 40/50% get tweaked at all (and Vega is an enthusiast card only pretty much).

That should have said wound not happen.

I would expect the percentage of people buying Vega know about tweaking and undervolting will be much higher. Considing AMD also list Wattman in there drivers for people to find and tweak.

Permabanned

The colors are different because of Nvidia's default hdmi color range settings (can be changed to full, but I forgot)

It looks like nvidia uses some kind of colour compression which reduces the overall image quality and gains some performance.
The Radeon image quality looks better across almost everywhere.

Permabanned

Also, the Vega 64 is less taxing on the CPU and the CPU almost always stays less stressed. The Vega 64 system uses more both VRAM and main RAM.
I don't know what causes the less stress on the CPU, the Radeon works less with it. Is it because of architectural bottlenecks?

Soldato
OP
Correction
AMD uses YCbCr 4:4:4 still full PC range 0-255
Nvidia by default uses RGB limited 4:4:4 16-235

Nvidia-signal-table.png

Back
Top Bottom