Memory Meltdown...

Soldato
...I'm having a bit of a melt down in terms of memory and hoping someone can help?

I have this:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £537.97 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

I was hoping to buy some cool RGB ram. I won't want to spend over £150 if I can help it, but I've seen My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £139.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)​
and people are saying it's the best? What do people think? I'm not planning on manually overclocking it, but will happy turn on the auto bios settings :)

Thanks,

TheDean

Soldato
I don't know which of the RGB ram is B-Die, getting B-die is the most important thing to go with ryzen as it affects performance a hella lot.

You would have to research every RGB ram to find out if any are B-die mate.

Soldato
It is the "8 Pack" ones that are considered the best, as they are cherry picked for tighter timings.

The Gigabyte one are RGB and Samsung B-Die but unsure if they can be overclocked as good.

Total: £358.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Are the normal Dark Pro ones Samsung B-Die?

Soldato
OP
It is the "8 Pack" ones that are considered the best, as they are cherry picked for tighter timings.

The Gigabyte one are RGB and Samsung B-Die but unsure if they can be overclocked as good.

Total: £358.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Are the normal Dark Pro ones Samsung B-Die?
Ok, so looks like the dark pro set is for me, but am I right to assume the 3000Mhz set are best bang for buck? Looking at Mobo & GPU you can assume I'm after value for money

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Think this is best bang for buck.

Total: £108.65 (includes shipping: £8.70)

The Dark Pro ones i linked are not the same as the ones you did. (Just in case you did not notice)

Whilst the Vulcan are cheaper, if they won't run at the stated speed with my set up, it doesn't feel like value for money - but.im happy to be corrected.

I note the Dark Pro you posted are 3200Mhz and the ones I posted are 300Mhz. The 3000Mhz seem better value - and better bang for buck to me - but again, happy to be corrected

Soldato
I was not sure if the OP was thinking the ones he listed was the same spec as the 8 Pack ones, so just tried to clear that up.

Threepwood, do you know if the normal Dark Pro is Samsung B-Die or not?

I could not find if they are or not, so if they aren't, they probably won't perform much better than the Vulcan which is £40 less.

Any way, i hope the OP will be happy with whatever RAM he orders.

One last thing i will say. I got the 8 Pack ones and they are best looking RAM i have owned. (not into all this RGB malarkey)

Associate
The thing to look for is the main timings figure: If it's C14, good, C16, not good.

I bought a C16 set with my Ryzen setup, (the T-Force Vulcan kit) and it was no end of hell. Despite a 3200MHz rating, it would not run stable at anything over 2400.
Dropped in the T-Force 8Pack DarkPro kit (C14 timings), and had 3200MHz no problem ever since... and I paid £220 for it.

But the 8Pack kit is the one to go for IMO.

EDIT The 'regular' DarkPro shows as C16, so I'd say it's best avoided for Ryzen.

Associate
That may be so, but as a rule of thumb, the C14 kits are the Samsung B-die kits. These will (usually) drop in and run without issue. I, and quite a few others, had a lot of headaches with C16 Hynix-based kits. Maybe the lower-end Ryzens are ok- and BIOS/AGESA updates may have helped since then, I don't know.
It was certainly an issue for many people, myself included.

Back
Top Bottom