Windows 10: Need a 3rd party Antivirus Nowadays???

Associate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A62kyAoysyI

Having issues with Adobe Premiere and they suggest that no one needs additional AV nowadays and that Windows own AV is pretty darned good and removes a lot of complexity and variables. Must admit, Norton gets in the way a lot and does a lot of tinkering.

What do you guys say? My AV up for renewal soon and I am seriously thinking of canning Norton.

Thanks,

Soldato
i would say yes windows AV is good,
  • however the updates are not fast enough to stop all 0 day's.
  • its not good at protecting you from dodgy sites that are known to contain malware/spyware inside the source code
  • dopes it scan files well?, yes does it scan fast. not really.
  • does it have a decent low resources mode when using intensive apps - subjective.

Norton is terrible in the sources department. recently was fixing a family pc. and norton was reporting high resources uusage by its own .exe.... i'm like really?

i've tried avira, bitdfender, avast,eset all this year with their premium editions. (i like testing)

i would say its good as long as you have stuff like adblock/noscript in place & do weekly eset virsus scans with their offline scanner. but i wouldnt say i would run it 24/7 without anything else

i would say get the bitdefender free its pretty decent
https://www.bitdefender.co.uk/solutions/free.html

i find eset best on resources/game mode etc
i find bitdefender to have the best protection
i find eset to have a easier to understand UI
i like avast free edition
overall prefer eset/bitdefender

Avira is decent - but it does nothing better than above

Soldato
Haven't run anything other than Windows Defender for years on multiple Windows PC's. Not a single problem. I don't even think about AV these days.

not having a problem and having hidden virus doing x without your knowledge are to entirely different things.
for example
you could have a virus just sending a copy of all your documents, for business secrets
you could have a spyware giving you different ads compared to ones supposed to appear on said web page. unless their obvious bad ads you wouldn't be aware.

you would not be aware any of that.

so not a single problem is not good statement to make. you could say "i've not suffered any performance issues" or "obvious virus symptoms" but not the statement you make.

Soldato
For the price Bitdefender is very good.

Why risk it? I’ve ran virus and malware scans on PCs who only use windows av with some surprising results.

Soldato
Windows defender is enough for most. The others are praying on peoples fears IMO. I'd rather have something built into the OS.
We have no idea what really is the best AV as it probably changes all the time. All you need is for your PC to be exposed to some new strain and you're buggered - it takes a while to develop the detection.
Years ago I worked at a company and our AV was useless against an infection. The next day suddenly Norton (I think) was updated and detected loads of PC's were infected. I found it the day before as I could see files appearing while using Windows Explorer and the PC was running slow. I believe we had to get a sample file to Norton to help them investigate it.
Just my opionion. Use Windows Defender and be warry of what sites you visit and will be fine.

Associate
Windows defender is enough for most. The others are praying on peoples fears IMO. I'd rather have something built into the OS.
We have no idea what really is the best AV as it probably changes all the time. All you need is for your PC to be exposed to some new strain and you're buggered - it takes a while to develop the detection.
Years ago I worked at a company and our AV was useless. The next day suddenly Norton (I think) was updated and detected loads of PC's were infected. I found it the day before as I could see files appearing while using Windows Explorer.
Just my opionion. Use Windows Defender and be warry of what sites you visit and will be fine.

That's pretty important. The AV you use, and even whether you use additional AV, really depends on what you do on the internet. It's not a a straightforward question.

Although I haven't had any issues, I guess it's somewhat because I am careful about where I visit and what I click on.

Soldato
I prefer something lighter and better then Defender, Bitdefender Free AV is probably best free one out there, install and forget, you never know it is really there.

Soldato
I paid for Bitdefender but have found it too intrusive and annoying, I've ended up disabling most of the features and it turns out that the free version would be fine for me, assuming it doesn't nag me.

NOD32 was always my favourite before, never gave me any nagging messages, but it's been a long time since I used it.

MY parents all had paid for norton/mcafee etc. the best anti virus ended up being me. these programs failed many times at stopping my family downloading and just saying yes to everything and installing the virus themselves.

my view is that most likely everyone on ocuk doens't need a virus scanner other than what windows comes with. average person however probably does need one, but there's a good chance they will find a way to still install the virus.

i now keep my dads pc so simple and backed up with onedrive that if there's ever a hint of an issue, it's a full reset, login, download chrome and email and we're back to safety.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Windows AV and common sense is the best antivirus. As above people who even pay for AV will still likely get infected because they don't know

Back
Top Bottom