Dolby Digital Or LPCM

Caporegime
Yes, Sky is bandwidth limited so you end up with the compressed DD stream.

LPCM (basically uncompressed) is on Blu-ray because space isn't of a concern.

Soldato
You may find the blu-ray player has an audio option for bitstream.

LPCM means the player is doing the encoding, when you get DTS-HD etc on your amp then the amp is doing the processing. I like to have bitstream on so I can see what audio I'm actually getting.

Permabanned
OP
I have changed all settings on blu ray player but still comes up LPCM on amp not Dolby Digital , when watching Sky its saying Dolby Digital

Looked in menu on blu ray player , i have set Digital Audio Output to " Auto " the other option is PCM
Other settings i did change was Downmix to " Surround "

Associate
Uncompressed :rolleyes:
They're both uncompressed/lossless, as Nick said LPCM is the player doing the decoding and bitstream the amp is decoding.

I always bitstream from my 4k player as I also like to see what audio I'm getting.

Thehitman LPCM or bitstream it'll still be DD or DTS you're listening to.

Last edited:
Associate
DD (Dolby Digital) is not lossless. Neither is DTS.

However, their "HD" equivalents (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD) are considered lossless. They are still compressed, but the resulting sound when uncompressed should be indistinguishable to the original.

LPCM is uncompressed audio.

Whether the decoding is done on the player or the amp should be inconsequential in terms of what you hear. The only difference is what you see on the front of the amp.

Soldato
i believe you have to bitstream from the player if you want dts:x or dolby atmos, so there's that. On the flip side, if you like secondary audio then LPCM from the player is better otherwise the audio gets down-res'd. So it's not quite as clear cut as use either because they're both the same.

Back
Top Bottom