A controller for the PC - a necessary evil?

Associate
Back in the days when I still had a PS3 I tried the included controller on my PC for playing Dark Souls. It didn't really go well as I was irked by the in game instructions showing buttons in the Xbox controller format, along with horrible performance issues I had on my system at that time.

I've more recently tried Nier: Automata. My PS3 has long since been sold along with its controllers, so I was stuck with the keyboard and mouse. I found this game barely playable using those and eventually got whipped enough early on for me to abandon it.

Is a controller/game pad for the PC a necessary evil? If so, which should I be looking to buy? I've just checked Xbox One controllers and the prices are pretty horrendous in my opinion (~£45). Are there more affordable alternatives that preferably follow the Xbox button configuration?

Last edited:
Soldato
Pick up a used wired Xbox 360 controller. CEX sells them for about £15.

Or go wireless and buy a £5 wireless controller on ebay.

The Xbox One controllers are a bit better, but I still like the 360s.

Associate
OP
Pick up a used wired Xbox 360 controller. CEX sells them for about £15.

Or go wireless and buy a £5 wireless controller on ebay.

The Xbox One controllers are a bit better, but I still like the 360s.

Awesome. I just hit a certain well known auction site and ordered one for £9.50 inc postage. TBH I'm not 100% sure it's genuine (though it says it works for both the Xbox 360 and PC, and another definite non-genuine said it only worked on PC). Either way, the price matches my perception of what a wired controller is worth. Hopefully that'll do the job. Many thanks.

Soldato
A needed extra peripheral if you ask me.

I recently updraded my wired 360 pad to a blootooth xbone pad, nice improvement if you ask me, you can pick them up new for 35-40 if you shop around.

I needed to ad blootooth to my PC for it to work so got a wireless AC /blootooth card as my current card was wireless N, so I ended up with faster WiFi and a better pad.. Set me p
Back about £70 in total though but worth it overall.

Associate
OP
The Xbox 360 pad I ordered has arrived. In Nier Automata its a big improvement, but in games like the Tomb Raider series/GTA V I'd still definitely go for the keyboard and mouse, though I haven't tried flying a helicopter in GTA V with it yet - that really is a pain with just the K&M that I hope will be improved with a controller. I can see myself swapping to it at times for some titles, but that might be it.

Oh well, it opens a few more doors for if I ever get the itch for more console-style games.

Soldato
I first got a pad for flying in battlefield, but equally, beat em ups, driving games, some 3rd person games it's best, but equally FPS and RTS pads are pretty useless so it's mouse and keyboard.

Best to have both

Associate
I find em good for character action games like DMC, Nier, dark souls, bayonetta, dynasty warriors etc, platformers and arcane racing games (nothing beats a wheel in more serious racers :D)

I can't stand aiming with them so any third person game that requires aiming I.E. tomb raider I prefer mouse. Everything else mouse as well like every first person game, strategy games, puzzle.

I used a 360 controller for years and got an xbone one s padpa year ago which is a small step up mainly the dpad is 10x better

Soldato
Back in the days when I still had a PS3 I tried the included controller on my PC for playing Dark Souls. It didn't really go well as I was irked by the in game instructions showing buttons in the Xbox controller format, along with horrible performance issues I had on my system at that time.

I've more recently tried Nier: Automata. My PS3 has long since been sold along with its controllers, so I was stuck with the keyboard and mouse. I found this game barely playable using those and eventually got whipped enough early on for me to abandon it.

Is a controller/game pad for the PC a necessary evil? If so, which should I be looking to buy? I've just checked Xbox One controllers and the prices are pretty horrendous in my opinion (~£45). Are there more affordable alternatives that preferably follow the Xbox button configuration?

Former PS3 owner here too. I think you can still pick up a new PS3 controller for ~£30 on Game. It works just fine with a PC with SCP drivers (wireless via bluetooth too just needs BT 2.0 + HDR). Thats what I use.

n.b. nothing evil about controllers, much more civilised :p

Soldato
I use a Switch Pro controller. Solid bit of kit but a bit spendy. It's only because I also own a switch. The Xbox one will be cheaper and more than likely more universally compatible on PC.

Back
Top Bottom