Unstable RAM XMP

Soldato
Here is my current build, I built it in November of last year.

AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 2700X 4.35GHz (Socket AM4) Processor
Samsung SSD 850 Evo 1TB
Toshiba 2TB P300 7200RPM Performance Hard Drive (HDWD120UZSVA)
MSI Optix G24C 24" 1920x1080 VA FREESYNC 144Hz 1ms Curved Widescreen Gaming Monitor
OcUK Value Blu-ray / DVDRW combi SATA
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Glass Midi Tower Case
Super Flower Leadex Platinum 850W Fully Modular "80 Plus Platinum" Power Supply
Alpenfohn Ben Nevis Advanced CPU Cooler - 130mm
Gigabyte Aorus RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit
Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 64 WindForce OC 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7 AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

I've been having trouble since day 1, I believed it was the graphics card at 1st, because randomly during games, my screen would go black and my monitor would lose signal. Sometimes the picture would come back, sometimes I would need to restart my machine, other times my machine would just crash.

At one point, my machine was blue screening after Windows booted up. I tried to reinstall Windows, but it was even blue screening during the Windows installer. I was finally able to reinstall Windows once I disabled XMP.

Everytime I turn XMP back on, I get problems, sometimes it can be fine for several days, then all of a sudden the crashing and loss of signal comes back. It's happened twice today in games

Can anyone help me? I hate using the machine with XMP turned off, there's a noticable drop in performance whilst gaming.

Associate
Here is my current build, I built it in November of last year.

AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 2700X 4.35GHz (Socket AM4) Processor
Samsung SSD 850 Evo 1TB
Toshiba 2TB P300 7200RPM Performance Hard Drive (HDWD120UZSVA)
MSI Optix G24C 24" 1920x1080 VA FREESYNC 144Hz 1ms Curved Widescreen Gaming Monitor
OcUK Value Blu-ray / DVDRW combi SATA
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Glass Midi Tower Case
Super Flower Leadex Platinum 850W Fully Modular "80 Plus Platinum" Power Supply
Alpenfohn Ben Nevis Advanced CPU Cooler - 130mm
Gigabyte Aorus RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit
Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 64 WindForce OC 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7 AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

I've been having trouble since day 1, I believed it was the graphics card at 1st, because randomly during games, my screen would go black and my monitor would lose signal. Sometimes the picture would come back, sometimes I would need to restart my machine, other times my machine would just crash.

At one point, my machine was blue screening after Windows booted up. I tried to reinstall Windows, but it was even blue screening during the Windows installer. I was finally able to reinstall Windows once I disabled XMP.

Everytime I turn XMP back on, I get problems, sometimes it can be fine for several days, then all of a sudden the crashing and loss of signal comes back. It's happened twice today in games

Can anyone help me? I hate using the machine with XMP turned off, there's a noticable drop in performance whilst gaming.

Have you tried entering the memory timings/voltage etc manually? XMP is notorious for been a bit of a pain. I wouldn't of thought you would have seen to much of a difference in performance in games, is it running at 2133mhz with no XMP enabled?

Soldato
OP
I've tried to put in the settings manually, just taking pictures of the XMP with my phone.

But when I change my "Memory timing mode" to manual, it still doesn't let me change the "Profile DDR voltage"

iFZNfUF.jpg

Soldato
Is it stable with your ram at 2133?

If it is it is likely you have hynix based ram which often on ryzen won't be stable at any speed above 2933. Use xmp and then change speed to 2933.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the help, I tried inputting the settings manually, but when I got into Windows, after a load of restarts, it was running at 2133 :confused:

I tried to use that DRAM calculator, so I downloaded Thaiphoon burner to see my RAM specs, but I can't get the program to run, even as an administrator. Nothing happens

Is it stable with your ram at 2133?

If it is it is likely you have hynix based ram which often on ryzen won't be stable at any speed above 2933. Use xmp and then change speed to 2933.

How do I figure out if my stuff is hynix base?

Associate
Thanks for the help, I tried inputting the settings manually, but when I got into Windows, after a load of restarts, it was running at 2133 :confused:

I tried to use that DRAM calculator, so I downloaded Thaiphoon burner to see my RAM specs, but I can't get the program to run, even as an administrator. Nothing happens

Your CAS figures show C16 timings. That'll be Hynix chips most likely... The Samsung B-die stuff which sings sweetly with Ryzen is rated C14.

Soldato
OP
Your CAS figures show C16 timings. That'll be Hynix chips most likely... The Samsung B-die stuff which sings sweetly with Ryzen is rated C14.

Damn it.

Also a mate told me to check to see if my RAM is actually supported on the Gigabyte website.

So I went there and downloaded the Memory support list for Ryzen and I can't see any Gigabyte memory listed there...
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-K7-rev-10#support-doc
Could someone double check for me, because at this point I'm thinking of just buying different RAM and trying to sell this stuff on.

Also worth updating to the latest BIOS version if you haven't already. Some updates have definitely helped on the stability front.

I have the lastest BIOS, F23.

Associate
If any consolation, I have 16GB of Hynix sat on a shelf doing nothing- it totally refused to play with my 2700X. Cost £170 when I bought it. Never got round to flogging it on, and the prices have dropped a bit already...

Soldato

Maybe you have a faulty or incorrectly inserted stick of ram. Try running Thaiphoon with just a single stick installed, and test both sticks individually, I used to Thaiphoon to confirm if my Corsair LPX 3200c16 was Hynix and it was. The clue was it was stable at a max of 2933c16, I just set it to DOCP / XMP and then changed the divider (Ram speed setting) to 2933 from 3200 in bios.

My current ram is 3200c14 and 32GB (4 x 8GB) is completely stable. With 16GB (2 x 8GB) of the same RAM I have now it ran at 3333c14 fine, just enabled DOCP / XMP and changed the divider from 3200 to 3333 in bios.

Soldato
OP
Gigabyte replied.

They posted a a slightly different RAM part number, but they confirmed it isn't compatible with AMD series motherboard.
I've replied with the part number I have to confirm.

Bugger.

Soldato
OP
I decided to try some Team RAM.
Model: TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01

Worked fine for 2 days, then it crashed on the 3rd. :(

Gotta say I'm getting quite frustrated with the build.
I thought i'd install AMD Overdrive to check out my RAM voltage, but that program blue screens in Windows.
Then I tried Gigabytes OC software, but that gives a crappy "This Driver can't release to failure". I've tried to sort that out but gave up.
Lastly I tried SpeedFan, but all that shows is HDD and GPU temps, nothing for my CPU, or any voltages.
EvenThaiphoon refuses to run.

I believe it's my RAM causing my problems, but I really am lost at this point.

Back
Top Bottom