Thyroid Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hyperactive thyroid here and my sister has the Underactive variant , suffered with shaky hands for years got so bad the missus thought i had parkinsons and sent me to the docs who diagnosed it straight way , he said it should have been picked up years ago but never needed a blood test in 50 years so it wouldnt of.

Suppose eating close to 5000 calories a day and never gaining weight would have been a good sign but just thought that was superb as i could eat anything.
My sister just needed to look at a cake and put weight on

Should add that being 6 foot 6 and carrying zero fat and being very active so was muscly in a Bruce Lee fashion i was pretty unbeatable at endurance sports so lived with it.

Been on 40mg of Carbimazole a day for the last year that has stopped the shakes and improved my eyesight

Last edited:
Soldato
suffered with shaky hands for years got so bad the missus thought i had parkinsons and sent me to the docs who diagnosed it straight way.
Oh god the shakes. I couldn't hold a cup of coffee at its worst. I avoided going in for ages and when I eventually did it took the Doctor moments to diagnose as well.

I was never blessed with the ability to eat 5000 calories per day though.

Soldato
OP
Wife has an under active thyroid, it’s about the easiest thing in the world to treat.

It is easy to treat but hard to diagnose. I've been treated for depression for a long time, but it was only fairly recently that it was discovered that I had an underactive thyroid. I have to say that taking thyroxine has changed my life (for the better). I had five years of being depressed, having zero motivation, feeling cold all of the time and not being able to concentrate on anything. I start taking thyroxine, and all of my problems are gone. Plus you don't realise you are having problems at the time because it happens so gradually and you don't notice that you are becoming more and more depressed and unmotivated.

Soldato
It is easy to treat but hard to diagnose. I've been treated for depression for a long time, but it was only fairly recently that it was discovered that I had an underactive thyroid. I have to say that taking thyroxine has changed my life (for the better). I had five years of being depressed, having zero motivation, feeling cold all of the time and not being able to concentrate on anything. I start taking thyroxine, and all of my problems are gone. Plus you don't realise you are having problems at the time because it happens so gradually and you don't notice that you are becoming more and more depressed and unmotivated.

It's very easy to diagnose, get a TSH & T4 blood test.

Associate
Oh god the shakes. I couldn't hold a cup of coffee at its worst. I avoided going in for ages and when I eventually did it took the Doctor moments to diagnose as well.

I was never blessed with the ability to eat 5000
calories per day though.

Oh yes the dreaded cup shake , seemed worse when the cup or glass was full so you tried not to shake and ended up always spilling it.
My mates down the pub must have thought I was a right alcoholic suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Man of Honour
Suppose eating close to 5000 calories a day and never gaining weight would have been a good sign but just thought that was superb as i could eat anything.
My sister just needed to look at a cake and put weight on

Should add that being 6 foot 6 and carrying zero fat and being very active so was muscly in a Bruce Lee fashion i was pretty unbeatable at endurance sports so lived with it.

Aside from only being 6 foot that is pretty much me - can eat anything I like, as much as I like zero weight gain but I don't lose weight if I barely eat either. I carry pretty much no fat but easily bulk up if active. Don't have any symptoms really that would indicate an overactive thyroid though atleast not so far though I had a colleague who was similar then went full on symptoms of overactive thyroid when they hit ~50 which forced them to take early retirement though they seem to have got it in control now they aren't working.

Associate
Aside from only being 6 foot that is pretty much me - can eat anything I like, as much as I like zero weight gain but I don't lose weight if I barely eat either. I carry pretty much no fat but easily bulk up if active. Don't have any symptoms really that would indicate an overactive thyroid though atleast not so far though I had a colleague who was similar then went full on symptoms of overactive thyroid when they hit ~50 which forced them to take early retirement though they seem to have got it in control now they aren't working.

The doctor i went to see did a simple test , he told me to hold out my hands put a sheet of paper on top of them , watched it for a bit and pretty much told me there what it was , had a blood test , couple of days later was called in to see him , told me what tablets he was going to try and sent me for a cardiogram.
Got to take the tablets for 18 months have a blood test every 3 months to see if they are working if not then its operation time .
Symptoms i had where :
Hand and leg Shakes , standing still in a queue and my legs would start shaking
Heart would suddenly jump from a steady 45 bpm to over 100bpm for no reason

Think it steadily got worse when i was around 45 , missus told me last year that she thought something was wrong (i actually already thought it was parkinsons Disease).

Now my sister who i only saw last year for the first time in 5 years , said she was actually on antidepressants and couldnt understand why as her homelife was all good and was diagnosed with an Underactive Thyroid but had no outward symptoms like the shakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom