The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Soldato
would you fire it up specifically for a steak, versus corrugated iron griddle on a gas stove. ?
had wondered if the chip types could impart an interesting smoky flaavour but seems the jury's out -
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/uuni-3-pizza-oven-review.260771/page-2

Absolutely, if its a good size steak, if its the thin ones then no its too hot for those.
With gas it takes about 5 minutes to heat up with a cast iron pan chuck the steak in for a few minutes and its done.

I doubt you would ever get the smokey taste stuff just isnt in there long enough, pizza takes less than 2 minutes.

Associate
I have a Uuni 3, I love it but don't use it as much as I should: Heres 2 of my pizzas from it

27848906247_c3e684cc2a_z.jpg

42668831942_07eaec8856_z.jpg

41817992725_553d829443_z.jpg

Soldato
Just unwrapped one of these for my birthday...! What an awesome piece of kit! Need to perfect the recipe, but managed to make about 5 passable pizzas this evening with a false start due to too little flour on the pizza peel. Can’t wait to have another go soon!

I reluctantly used a paraffin lighter after a failed attempt to start the pellets with a small blowtorch. Had absolutely no trouble getting the oven to a roaring heat and pizzas were cooked in about 90 seconds!

Questions for the Uuni owners:

Do you use the Uuni wood pellets, or are there cheaper/better alternatives?

What’s the best way to get the pellets lit? Are the natural firefighters any good? I might be a man and get a proper blowtorch.

What cast iron skillets are you using in the oven for meat/veg? My cast iron pans all have handles which would be no good in the oven I presume.

Things I want to try:

More pizza (obvs)
Naan
Massive T bone
Baba ganoush with proper flamed aubergines.

Caporegime
This looks awesome. Would work well for naan bread too no doubt! How is it to clean? I can imagine roasting meat in there too.

it's a stone base so you can't use anything on it which has flavour so bread is fine. meat no.

it will burn everything off. i tend to rotate the stone every time i use it. so top becomes bottom and bottom becomes top.

then when i go to use it at the top the bottom bit will have been burnt to a crisp so i use a brush to brush off the burnt bits.

Soldato
it's a stone base so you can't use anything on it which has flavour so bread is fine. meat no.

it will burn everything off. i tend to rotate the stone every time i use it. so top becomes bottom and bottom becomes top.

then when i go to use it at the top the bottom bit will have been burnt to a crisp so i use a brush to brush off the burnt bits.

Meat/veg in a cast iron skillet would be fine though. I just need to find one that’s a suitable size.

Very impressed with my preliminary attempts at using the oven. Can’t wait to have another go this weekend!

@Loki, @Regy53 @Tyrone1Wils - are you using the Uuni wood pellets?

Caporegime
the pizza thread had done the pellets 30kg/£10 -> https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31472252

they are now known as the company i linked to £4 for 10kg

I need a bigger blowtorch... mine is good for birthday candles and that’s about it! Bought some natural fire lighters instead.

@Psycho Sonny - does it matter that they’re softwood rather than hardwood?

never had any issues using them. for the price even if they do burn faster they would need to be burning like stupidly fast for it not to be worthwhile.

1 bag lasted me all of summer last year and i had 4-6 parties. i think 1 bag will last something like 10-15 hours depending on wind

Back
Top Bottom