Should a 97 year old man be driving on a public road?

Soldato
Coffin-dodger is a sobriquet regularly applied to any person of advanced age on this forum - what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander - perhaps you should reconsider your Monarchy obsession?
I don't have a monarchy obsession, I'm not really bothered about them either way. You, however, seem to have an obsession regarding anyone with more wealth than yourself. Which I'm imagining by your posts here must be a big pool of people.

Associate
**** him he'll be dead soon lets face it the monarchy when the queen croaks it what we got next oh that bell end called prince Charles, lets see if macron can lend us a guillotine I'll pull the trigger. no worries,:p

Caporegime
He's 97 at the behest of the state's desire to keep him alive and the advanced abilities that did not exist even a century ago, and if he had crashed and killed someone significantly younger than him, then coffin dodger would be a very light term indeed.

We should only be so lucky that he did not in fact murder someone that time, but the fact they he got behind the wheel two day's later shows utter contempt for his "people".

Remember kids, if you ever crash a car you should not be driving again...?

We still don’t know the reason for the collision* yet people seem to be assuming that if he isn’t prosecuted there’s favouritism going on, and that because he’s driving soon after a crash he’s somehow worse than any of the other people that drive soon after they crash (likely most people).

It’s a worrying trend I’ve seen in other places too - if you have a crash someone should be prosecuted. Sure, ALL crashes are down to at least one drivers “careless” or “distracted” driving, but that does not mean that all crashes should involve a prosecuted for careless or distracted driving.

Sometimes **** happens. You don't notice something, you misjudge the situation, or you’re just “unlucky”. Doesn’t mean you should be prosecuted, especially if there are no major injuries in the incident.

*yes, he apparently pulled out in front of an oncoming car, but the question is why.

Soldato
but this is the wild-west internet , summary justice and execution without trial, but maybe the police will leak data to the juryBBC

I think use of the term Coffin-dodger, says more about the age and socio-economic group of the author; unless you are modifying your vocabularly to avoid profiling
[ google Personality, Gender, and Age in the Language of Social Media]

Caporegime
While that may be true, the term coffin-dodger has derogatory connotations. You wouldn’t call your nan one for example (is hope).

Caporegime
Fact is he's advanced in age and clearly in ability, I've seen his type in my father and grand-father, grossly stubborn to the point of dangerous in being "independent", it's mildly admirable, but no less foolish.

He's far more likely to be the culprit here and all "crashes" are inherently incidents because someone is definitely at fault, the Police's own guidelines. Frankly considering how class orientated we still are, i have no doubt in my mind that this will be covered up by the state because of the insinuations it would lead to. I simply will not trust whatever report comes out, if one does.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Fact is he's advanced in age and clearly in ability . . .
I suspect that you didn't mean that the nonagenarian was "advanced in ability"?

The likelihood is that age may have impaired his judgement (which seemed always to be questionable), his eyesight and his reaction times.

By all accounts, he turned off a minor road onto a major road, I am not sure which part of the Highway Code advocates this practice.

Caporegime
Fact is he's advanced in age and clearly in ability, I've seen his type in my father and grand-father, grossly stubborn to the point of dangerous in being "independent", it's mildly admirable, but no less foolish.

He's far more likely to be the culprit here and all "crashes" are inherently incidents because someone is definitely at fault, the Police's own guidelines. Frankly considering how class orientated we still are, i have no doubt in my mind that this will be covered up by the state because of the insinuations it would lead to. I simply will not trust whatever report comes out, if one does.

How do you know what his ability is? Bearing in mind he only stopped working a year or so ago. Does his age have anything to do with the crash?

Sure, it’s likely to be his fault - he pulled out on someone driving straight. The question is still why, and whether the why is grounds for a prosecution. Just because you’re at fault in a crash doesn’t mean you should be prosecuted and have your licence removed*.

It was reported he told the police at the scene that he was dazzled by the sun. That can happen to anyone at any age. It would be pretty easy to miss someone coming in that scenario and then it may well be just “luck” more than anything else. Grounds for prosecution? Personally I’d hope not as it’s not exactly indicative of a dangerous driver, it’s life.

*although if that were the case the roads would be nice and quiet, it’s likely the majority of people will have an at fault incident at some point in their driving life.

Caporegime
How do you know what his ability is? Bearing in mind he only stopped working a year or so ago. Does his age have anything to do with the crash?

Sure, it’s likely to be his fault - he pulled out on someone driving straight. The question is still why, and whether the why is grounds for a prosecution. Just because you’re at fault in a crash doesn’t mean you should be prosecuted and have your licence removed*.

It was reported he told the police at the scene that he was dazzled by the sun. That can happen to anyone at any age. It would be pretty easy to miss someone coming in that scenario and then it may well be just “luck” more than anything else. Grounds for prosecution? Personally I’d hope not as it’s not exactly indicative of a dangerous driver, it’s life.

*although if that were the case the roads would be nice and quiet, it’s likely the majority of people will have an at fault incident at some point in their driving life.

Yet travelling without a seatbelt 2 days later doesn't scream (quietly) dangerous to you?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
. . . it may well be just “luck” more than anything else . . .
I am surprised that Kensington and Chelsea Council haven't used the "bad luck" excuse.

I suspect that "Driving without due care and attention" is classed as an offence whether it results in an accident or not - some people may of course be able to escape the consequences - even after a major crash as a result of which nobody was killed - purely by very good luck.

Caporegime
Yet travelling without a seatbelt 2 days later doesn't scream (quietly) dangerous to you?

He was wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash apparently. Seems a bit odd he wasn’t the other day, but considering he had half a bush out the bottom of his car he may well have just come out of a field and just closed a gate, not yet doing his seatbelt up.

We don’t know however because it’s a single photo. I certainly wouldn’t say it screams dangerous without more information.

I am surprised that Kensington and Chelsea Council haven't used the "bad luck" excuse.

I suspect that "Driving without due care and attention" is classed as an offence whether it results in an accident or not - some people may of course be able to escape the consequences - even after a major crash as a result of which nobody was killed - purely by very good luck.

So every road traffic incident should result in prosecution to one or more parties?

Man of Honour
You realise the Magna Carta was to give power to Barons right?

An English translation of the part of the introduction dealing with who the charter applies to:

TO ALL FREE MEN OF OUR KINGDOM we have also granted, for us and our heirs for ever, all the liberties written out below, to have and to keep for them and their heirs, of us and our heirs:

Note that this is a translation more than a few decades old, so "men" means "people" as it did for millenia until very recently - the entire magna carta applies to all free people of the kingdom. Which is anyone who isn't a slave or a serf. Which is everyone today.

You can see the direct proof of this being the intended meaning in the original Latin, since Latin clearly differentiates between "people regardless of their sex" and "adult male people", with different words for each.

Concessimus eciam omnibus liberis hominibus regni nostri, pro nobis et heredibus nostris in perpetuum, omnes libertates subscriptas, habendas et tenendas eis et heredibus suis, de nobis et heredibus nostris.

The magna carta did give power to barons, but not only barons. It was bona fide attempt at a general constition, a bill of rights. There were specific bits for nobles to address specific issues they had with the existing situation and there were specific bits for the church for the same reason, but the overall point of it was a general constitution to create law above all people and to create inalienable rights for all citizens.

Caporegime
An English translation of the part of the introduction dealing with who the charter applies to:

Note that this is a translation more than a few decades old, so "men" means "people" as it did for millenia until very recently - the entire magna carta applies to all free people of the kingdom. Which is anyone who isn't a slave or a serf. Which is everyone today.

You can see the direct proof of this being the intended meaning in the original Latin, since Latin clearly differentiates between "people regardless of their sex" and "adult male people", with different words for each.

The magna carta did give power to barons, but not only barons. It was bona fide attempt at a general constition, a bill of rights. There were specific bits for nobles to address specific issues they had with the existing situation and there were specific bits for the church for the same reason, but the overall point of it was a general constitution to create law above all people and to create inalienable rights for all citizens.

But surely the only "free" men were the aristocrats (all of whom were patriarchs of big wealthy families) of the time? Everyone else was a nearly worthless peasant.

While today it mean what we desire it to mean, it really was never meant for "everyone", otherwise it would not have taken literally centuries for even the common "man" to be allowed to vote.

Man of Honour
But surely the only "free" men were the aristocrats (all of whom were patriarchs of big wealthy families) of the time? Everyone else was a nearly worthless peasant.

Some peasants were free people. Some commoners were wealthy free people. It's not true that only aristocrats were regarded as free people or that only aristocrats were rich or that all aristocrats were rich. Even at the extremity of serfdom in England, aristocrats were a minority of free people.

Also, peasants weren't "nearly worthless". In some ways, peasants back then were sometimes more valued than peasants today because in many cases the higher status people saw their peasants frequently and were reminded daily that their own wealth and power was dependent on their peasants. There was less disconnect between the classes.

While today it mean what we desire it to mean, it really was never meant for "everyone", otherwise it would not have taken literally centuries for even the common "man" to be allowed to vote.

The magna carta says nothing at all about voting. That's a different thing entirely. It was a constitution, not a declaration of democracy with universal adult suffrage (which didn't exist anywhere until recently and wasn't even an idea until centuries after the magna carta).

Caporegime
The woman he collided with is on the front page of the Metro this morning, wondering why she didn't get an apology, crying and all.

What the **** is wrong with this world? You just survived what could've been a fatal accident and you're balling because he hasn't rung to apologise? How about you be grateful to still be alive and just get on with your life?

And screw him right? Doesn't matter that he was also in the crash does it?

Some people have zero context as to what's important any more.

Soldato
Yet traveling without a seatbelt 2 days later doesn't scream (quietly) dangerous to you?

Danger is relative.

Driving without a seat-belt is probabally a lot safer than riding a bicycle, and both are likely to be a lot safer than riding horses (Something that the prince has been doing all his life)

Perhaps his perception of relative risk is actually rather better than most peoples..

:p

Soldato
The woman he collided with is on the front page of the Metro this morning, wondering why she didn't get an apology, crying and all.

What the **** is wrong with this world? You just survived what could've been a fatal accident and you're balling because he hasn't rung to apologise? How about you be grateful to still be alive and just get on with your life?

And screw him right? Doesn't matter that he was also in the crash does it?

Some people have zero context as to what's important any more.

Wouldn’t giving an apology be seen as accepting responsibility for causing the collision? Been a while since I spoke to an insurance agent, but I’m pretty sure that “Don’t admit responsibility, don’t apologise, just exchange details” was the mantra to repeat mentally after having a prang.

Back
Top Bottom