Windows based python dev thinking switching to Linux

Soldato
I've been planing with Mint recently but gone back to Fedora. Mint is targeted at home users who are looking for a windows experience.

Fedora on the other hand is much more centred around the user being a power user and is a much better distro as a workstation/development rig.

If you are going to be spending a lot of time working through terminals then Fedora is much better suited to this kind of work. The activities button on the top left allows to windows switch with ease as well as get an over view of what is already open.

And you've also got multiple work spaces available from the same button.

I've also been reading that Fedora 30 is going to support the Deepin desktop environment.

Soldato
I'm finding that the beauty of VMs - just knocked up a Fedora vm to give it a go and at least now I can compare with Mint - thanks for the heads up, it's good to explore the different distros

Another beautiful thing you can do with Linux is use a live disc/usb.

Create a bootable disc/usb and boot from that you can take the OS for a spin without doing an install. Your current OS will remain untouched as the live boot will run in ram.

Soldato
I'm finding that the beauty of VMs - just knocked up a Fedora vm to give it a go and at least now I can compare with Mint - thanks for the heads up, it's good to explore the different distros

Another Linux distro you might want to try out is Manjaro. It is based on Arch Linux and is what is known as a rolling release distribution. This means that it is always up-to-date and you don't need to install a later version you need to keep the packages up-to-date, and you'll still be on the latest version.

Soldato
Another Linux distro you might want to try out is Manjaro. It is based on Arch Linux and is what is known as a rolling release distribution. This means that it is always up-to-date and you don't need to install a later version you need to keep the packages up-to-date, and you'll still be on the latest version.

Antergos is better :p

J/K aside I've found that the rolling distros are far better even more so if an AMD user an nothing comes close to the AUR repos

Soldato
Do it. I have been using Antergos for a month or so now since my python utilities (mainly pycharm) stopped working after the most recent windows update whilst i was in the middle of a personal project on it. and haven't looked back aside from having bit of a kerfuffle sorting a couple of games out and will be buying a new ssd in a week or so to have a dual boot setup.

Considering doing a re install of Antergos too with lessons learnt as im sure i've nuked some parts of it somehow through excessive "fiddling"

Soldato
Is Antergos Arch based as well?

What other Linux distributions are there that are 'rolling releases'?

What put me off Manjaro is it looked a bit alien in terms of it's shell commands.

Yes it's arch based.

What do you mean regards shell commands, cant say I've used Manjaro so not entirely sure on what you mean.

Couple of other rolling distros, openSUSE tumbleweed (Clever name tbh), Solus, Fedora Rawhide (I think) to name a few

Considering doing a re install of Antergos too with lessons learnt as im sure i've nuked some parts of it somehow through excessive "fiddling"

Like ? You've not done a humbug have you and not read what's what :D

Soldato
Yes it's arch based.

What do you mean regards shell commands, cant say I've used Manjaro so not entirely sure on what you mean.

Couple of other rolling distros, openSUSE tumbleweed (Clever name tbh), Solus, Fedora Rawhide (I think) to name a few

Like ? You've not done a humbug have you and not read what's what :D

No lol I’m referring more to the sound issues as they don’t seem to be going away now! Also warframe entirely stopped working for me :(

Soldato
One thing I find annoying is how some distros are not uptodate with their packages. like Libre Office being on 6.0.3 rather than 6.1 or virtual box being on 5.2 rather than 6.

Are you guys saying Antergos and Manjaro are better for being uptodate?

---

Also slight annoyance with Fedora... is no desktop icons or folders.

Soldato
Don't like Antergos. The big thing is the gnome desktop animations are laggy.

Compare it to the Fedora Gnome which is nice and snappy.

I might try Manjaro later. But I still think I'll be back on Fedora eventually.

Manjaro gnome? I need it for development so the activities button at the top is really helpful to switch between windows.

Soldato
Are you guys saying Antergos and Manjaro are better for being uptodate?

Yes, as newer versions of packages are releases it's normally same day to end user on rolling distros.

As an example Libre office for me is on 6.1.4.4, that was updated on th 21st of this month

Don't like Antergos. The big thing is the gnome desktop animations are laggy.

Don't use Gnome as can't stand it so cant say what its like on Antergos to be honest

Back
Top Bottom