Audeze Mobius - Closed Planar magnetic headphone, gaming headset, head tracking, bluetooth and more!

Associate
I bought them. They arrived yesterday. They must have been sat there a while though, as the firmware doesn't even have the warm setting.

I've emailed support requesting the firmware, and will see what they are like - pretty impressed so far using my iPhone X with Bluetooth.

Shame they don't come with the case!
Mine didn't come with the warm setting either. After getting the update and looking at the instalation process they will not be getting it either until the update is an auto one.. Lol

Associate
It's easy.. just follow the pdf - it looks more complicated than it actually is!

I can condense the instructions :-

Plug headphone in via USB
Make sure mic mute switch is DOWN
Right click the MCU Drivers For Mobius.exe and run as administrator (inside Driver folder)
Right click the Mobius USB Patch.exe and run as administrator
Right click the Audeze Firmware Programmer.exe and run as administrator
Click Connect
Click Open and locate the firmware (.bin file)
Click update firmware
Click Finish
Power off and on and all done.

The new Warm setting doesn't show up in the Windows App, but it will be available on the headset.

Last edited:
Associate
First impressions..

When using the SteelSeries Siberia 800 the volume had to be on 100% and it still didn't feel loud enough. To be honest I rarely used them as they were so uncomfortable.

The Mobius is on 40%.

I am currently playing ESO Online, and with the headset on instead of speakers it feels like a different game. Loving hearing the footsteps and sounds around me.

Tried Tidal briefly with a few Masters, and it was very impressive. I have yet to set up the headphone properly - need to measure my bonce & stuff, but so far loving them.

Soldato
Ah you bought them!

None of them come with a warm setting and that firmware still hasnt been released but you can get it if you ask for it.

I emailed to see if I could get the next software update as that is where the keybinding options come in via the software but they wont let me have it like they did with the firmware. They wouldn't give atimescale except 2019 for the release of the firmware.

The warm setting to me is very bass heavy and a bit wooly for my liking.

Someone who's tried it with HD sound and you like it. Nice. Did you try it with 3D sound on and off for music and did you change the soundstage in the software whilst listening to them?

Best thing about the firmware is that it remembers your settings between on/off cycling.

YEah the Mobius does go loud as the AMP & DAC are both built in and Audeze specified, so must be half decent.

Just brfore xmas one retailer was selling with the case and stand chucked in or £50 off for just the headset.

Associate
Tbh, I don't listen to music through my PC - I just tried Tidal on it as that was the only way I have of playing Tidal Masters. I tried 7.1, Stereo & Hi Res.

I liked Hires best I think, although had to have the volume louder than 7.1

Yes, I noticed after I purchased that I could have got it elsewhere with the headphone stand & case for about £25 more :(

I wouldn't use the headphone stand - I already have one, which I used with the SteelSeries, but it resulted in the headband being flattened over time, so won't use one again. So I have only really lost out on a tenner if I were to buy the case separately.

Soldato
Another New owner :) Haven't checked this thread in ages.

You are just in time too, Audeze are going to be releasing a firmware update and an application update as well.

And, measure your head ASAP, it makes a huge difference to the sound. You should try watching a few movies with them, it's one of my main uses for the headset. There have been loads of times where I have had to take the headphones off to make sure I had actually turned my external speakers off.

Associate
Yeah, I did the head measurement stuff few days ago.

I never used to game with a headset because the SteelSeries were so uncomfortable. I played a bit of ESO with the Mobius, and I jumped at one point because I thought someone in the room behind me said something.

Really impressed with them, and they are a little bit better than the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless that I was using previously with my iPhone, as the Mobius go a couple of notches louder.

Line out through a lightning connector is not as good as I expected though - certainly not much difference between that and a Bluetooth connection, so I will just stick with Bluetooth.

Need to try on my 2018 iPad Pro with USB C to USB C, although using that for listening to music would be a bit awkward as it is the 12.9"

I wouldn't listen to movies using a headset as I have an Atmos soundbar setup.

All good so far tho apart from one little niggle.. The headband doesn't appear to be one solid piece - you can see what look like a faint join at each end - just hope it's not a weak point.

Soldato
Even though you do have Atmos setup, would be good for a comparison, especially listening to the same scene etc, just coz you can.

The headband is advertised that you can completely twist it up, therefore insinuating its very strong. https://www.audeze.com/products/mobius-series/mobius-headphone

Though I dont fancy trying it as you only may need to get it in that shape after suffering a chute failing base jump, when I dont think sound quality will be your first priority.

Soldato
Yeah, I did the head measurement stuff few days ago.

I never used to game with a headset because the SteelSeries were so uncomfortable. I played a bit of ESO with the Mobius, and I jumped at one point because I thought someone in the room behind me said something.

Really impressed with them, and they are a little bit better than the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless that I was using previously with my iPhone, as the Mobius go a couple of notches louder.

Line out through a lightning connector is not as good as I expected though - certainly not much difference between that and a Bluetooth connection, so I will just stick with Bluetooth.

Need to try on my 2018 iPad Pro with USB C to USB C, although using that for listening to music would be a bit awkward as it is the 12.9"

I wouldn't listen to movies using a headset as I have an Atmos soundbar setup.

All good so far tho apart from one little niggle.. The headband doesn't appear to be one solid piece - you can see what look like a faint join at each end - just hope it's not a weak point.

In terms of Audio Quality, from high to low. USB, AUX, Bluetooth. It doesn't make any difference what USB you use, Normal USB on your computer to USB C on the headset sounds the same as USB C to USB C. But, I would try to get longer USB cables, the ones that come with it are very short.

I would be very surprised if your Atmos sound bar sounds better than the Mobius headset for movies. You should really try them out with movies.

Don't worry about the Headband breaking. There are videos of them been twisted every which way and not breaking.

Associate
In terms of Audio Quality, from high to low. USB, AUX, Bluetooth. It doesn't make any difference what USB you use, Normal USB on your computer to USB C on the headset sounds the same as USB C to USB C. But, I would try to get longer USB cables, the ones that come with it are very short.

I would be very surprised if your Atmos sound bar sounds better than the Mobius headset for movies. You should really try them out with movies.

Don't worry about the Headband breaking. There are videos of them been twisted every which way and not breaking.

I already did have alternative USB C cables (braided 2m ones) and whilst they are a little stiff, they work great. I haven't even opened the accessory boxes that came with the Mobius, as I have not needed the mic so far!

I don't watch movies on my own - but I may at some point utilise them to watch documentaries late at night. Would have to use Bluetooth though, as my primary source is Apple TV 4K.

Redownloading Nier:Automata atm, can't *wait* to hear that soundtrack through the Mobius! Has to be the best soundtrack to any game ever.

Associate
Another New owner :) Haven't checked this thread in ages.

You are just in time too, Audeze are going to be releasing a firmware update and an application update as well.

And, measure your head ASAP, it makes a huge difference to the sound. You should try watching a few movies with them, it's one of my main uses for the headset. There have been loads of times where I have had to take the headphones off to make sure I had actually turned my external speakers off.
How will the audeze update work?. Will the app just update itself or will there be a manual side to it?... Cheers

Soldato
How will the audeze update work?. Will the app just update itself or will there be a manual side to it?... Cheers

I emailed Audeze 'tother day, cheekily asking for the keybinding update. They said that there is no further firmware update as the current one will just become full release. It will be the Audeze app update with headtracking and will finally show the 'warm' setting in the EQ and whatever else they have for the software side. They also said they couldnt give me a timescale other than 2019.

Soldato
Ah, the warm setting is there but no keybinding yet.

Did you notice if updating this software loses your head measurements in the HRTF part? They look like default settings - unless I have a default head.

Soldato
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/best/by-usage/gaming

Only thing I find on the Mobius these is that the isolation is a bit lacking. I think I'll look at getting some better pads.

Audiophiles will probabaly recommend getting a dedicated headphone DAC/AMP complimenting the ohm rating of your chosen audiophile grade of headphones. They dont so much like presets adding EQ etc, they want the phones as pure in their own right. I like adjusting things.

Audeze has implemented their AMP and DAC for these Planar magnetics. And I think for £350 they have done a great job and to get planar magnetics for this money is a steel. Update has made the interface easier to use and added a warm preset which for me is too bassy on bassy tracks but there if you want it.

Lots of audiophiles have reviewed them and whilst they aint perfect they are a very good one stop shop. Plus with their software they add enhancements like the headtracking you'll be able to bind to keys.

As a gamer, apart from having to be wired to use the mic, and isolation is a bit lacking - I love them. They are loud too. And the sound quality over my other headsets, albeit' gaming trinkets, they are much better, to the point I use them to listen to music (loud) a lot more than I did previously. They also inspired me to buy a half decent set of in ear buds for the gym. I now also use these with my Native Instruments Komplete MK3 and love the depth I get from creating sounds etc.

I dont think I've developed an audiophiles ear yet as I tried a set of Sennheiser HD800S with a Sennheiser HDV820 headphone amp in richer sounds (£3000+) I couldnt hear where the extra money is. I couldnt tell the difference between a £30 bottle of red to a £300 either.

Back
Top Bottom