uninterruptible power supply help

Soldato
I didnt mean for you to tell me what everything was inside, but thank you.. I am not great with technical stuff but I get by ok I think. You say its surge protected, it isnt surge protected so the spec says and the guy from the manufacture recommended me to plug the ups into a surge protector

Well my mate put the new fans in for me and guess what, it had a paddy, beeping and flashing away with "fan fail". But now for some reason its working fine now...
MOV is generally included in input EMI filtering.
And some small MOV is at least better than none.

Speed of fan you put there could tell roughly where some speed limit is.
Though maybe it might have been also triggered by fan reaching that speed slower than original fan before getting to full speed.
High speed fans have lot faster/harder acceleration and don't need much of time delay to reach some lower speed.

Soldato
OP
I needed to use the old fan plugs on the fans so I just chopped off the plug and rejoined the wires together on the one fan using tape. But on the 2nd fan I tried just swapping over the plugs, but that kind of failed, as the wires are loose inside the plug, so I will need redo that fan with my mate.

So I have just thought I might aswel buy proper wire joiners and redo both fan, but I will need to buy another plug with the wires attached for the one fan.. Im just wondering how small do I need the wire joiners to be for fan wires as they are pretty flimsy wires?

Soldato
OP
Well I have ordered some of those jelly crimps that they use on phone wires and some of these that I will join to the fans, as the ups doesn't use the normal pc fan plug.

k21her.jpg

Hopefully it will make a strong and professional looking connection.

I havent had another fan fail since, I have been making the fans speed up/down and turning the ups off/on a few times,, but I cant get the alarm to go off again.. So no idea what was wrong at the beginning as the alarm went off quite a few times after a few secs or minutes of turning the ups on. The only idea I have is that both fans wern't spinning at the same speed and that caused the alarm to go off, or like you said they wern't speeding up fast enough. Knowing my luck, they will fail now. I guess fans get easier to rotate as they wear in?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The voltage went down to 230v earlier today for 30mins or so and the ups clicked over to online mode and brought the output back to 240v. I think the margin was wider with my old line-interactive ups, think it was something like below 192v and above 276v when it leaped into action.. But if I use the normal mode on this new ups, the output would be a constant 240v and wouldn't budge at all, but it uses like 30watts more power 24/7. So with the energy saving mode (eco) it only uses the normal mode when it has to.

A few days ago someone in our family turned on our circular saw and that jolted the voltage and made the ups click over to normal mode. Im like a big kid with a new toy hehe.... perthertic

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hey I think the power company are going to provide us with a generator for weds. I think its going to be one of those big ones that connects up to the house.. Im still expecting them to bring a portable one, as Im guessing it's going to cost them a fair bit to provide us with one that powers the house and get it set up ect.

There must be a lot of cookers going on at tea time, as the voltage drops to 230 about 5.30 every evening causing the ups to correct the voltage for 30mins or so. I guess the ups will be correcting the voltage all day Wednesday with the generator. But it should be quite a good generator if its one of these big ones though, so the voltage might not be too bad.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well the guy has just been with the generator and he has connected it up to our meter box so the house has got full power but the guy said we have lost 80amps, so we need to be a bit careful what we use.

The generator isnt making the ups go on to online mode at all so far, the voltage is just sitting at 239v according to the ups. Ah yeah were having a new electric telegraph pole put in, thats why there's no power.

Soldato
OP
I have redone the fan cables today with my mate..
I got new fan plugs with the wires attached,
Soldered the wires on to the fan cable
Use some Heat-shrink tubing to cover each joined wire, instead of insulation tape
Then used cable sleeve to sleeve all cables together so you cant see the join and looks like I haven't tampered with the fans now either. Plus it should be totally safe now too

It might seem a bit over the top but I want to keep it looking tidy and untouched inside, I probably wouldn't of gone to all this trouble if it was a cheap UPS.. pathetic I know, isn't it?

Soldato
OP
hi,, just a update... Since having the UPS in February and changing the fans for quieter ones. I have had no problems at all with it and it been running 24/7 with my computer, audio and tv stuff plugged into it (thats roughly every thing in my room) and with all that stuff there still not much power being used.

It complained about the fans after a few days of putting them in, but nothing since. The ups hasnt really been tested yet as we havent had any bad weather yet and the ups only uses online mode when volts increase or decrease by about 10volts from 240v, as it uses more power running it in online mode all the time.

I still wouldn't mind buying a generator even though it wouldnt get used much,,, as it would be real handy to connect the ups to a generator when we do have the odd long powercut

Man of Honour
On the subject my UPSes got a bit of use today - power went on the blink for a bit then a 30 minute outage - every thing worked fine.

Soldato
I was looking at getting the VFI 2000 TGB but whats put me off a little is the fact that being an online UPS they run a bit hotter and use more power, most likely why the fans were on so much from reading this thread.
I've spotted the Riello Vision 2000va for £340 delivered with a 5 year warranty on it. What do people recon on the Riello brand?

Soldato
OP
Are you still happy with the Powerwalker and is it still going strong?

Yeah the Powerwaker is going well, no probs so far and I have been using it 24/7. I have figured out it lasts 3 hrs on battery mode even if there's nothing plugged in to it.

I have all my stuff in my bedroom plugged into it TV and PC stuff, so tomorrow Im going to order first portable generator, as a bit of a upgrade for the UPS. So when I have a powercut, I'll plug the ups into the generator and everything then will be powered in my room no matter how long the power is off for... No doubt the rest of my family will use it aswel during a powercut,, even though they say Im wasting my money.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I was looking at getting the VFI 2000 TGB but whats put me off a little is the fact that being an online UPS they run a bit hotter and use more power, most likely why the fans were on so much from reading this thread.
I've spotted the Riello Vision 2000va for £340 delivered with a 5 year warranty on it. What do people recon on the Riello brand?

I was a tad concerned about the extra power a online UPS would use aswel,, but by putting the UPS onto eco mode it acts like a line interactive ups, untill the voltage wonders 2%+/- off track then it switches to normal online mode untill the voltage is back where it should be. I hear my ups clicking to and from these 2 modes a few times a day, (more so at night then daytime). I think most online UPS's has a eco mode to save power/money.

My UPS runs cold and remember I even changed the fans for slower quieter ones... But yeah thats the only problem with a online UPS, the fans run 24/7 and the stock fans on my UPS wern't quiet ones either, thats why I changed them.

Last edited:
Associate
Heya fellas,

Just got my brand new EVGA 750W GOLD delivered, I connected all the cables, did the same as I had on my old EVGA 550 GOLD, and for some reason just after I push the power button, the leds goes on, fans spins, and after literally half a second PC turns itself on, and the only way to try turning on again is by unplugging cable from the electric socket.

Right now I'm running on my old 550w and PC runs fine, however I can't turn the PC on, on 750, even though even all the cables are the same.

any solutions? I assume this is very common problem, BTW, I tried unplugging and resitting ram, i removed motherboard, took cpu out, in, tried booting PC without GPU/SSD/hdds connected. wasted good 5hours of my free time after work trying to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom