Macbook Pro 15 2018 vs ???

Soldato
Hello Everyone,

I am digging trough internet to find a good laptop for productivity.
My gf is a big on the Macbook Pro 15 but she gave me an opportunity to convince her otherwise.
The brief is
15 inch
It needs to be nice looking (aka nice solid material can be plastic if it feels nice, and light so no ultra heavy omen laptops)
it needs to have 4k screen
and it needs some proper power (i7-8750H or better , 16 GB of ram and at least 256GB of ssd )
No gaming, just heavy excel and chrome usage (and by heavy I am talking i7 and 16gb ram heavy)

She is inclined to the MBP is the one to get but I have read loads about thermal throttling on both i7 and i9 versions, that have been mitigated by some patch that actually only down clocks the cpu.

The options I have seen so far is Dell XPS 15 9570 seems to be nice good looking and pretty punchy in therms of specs (and about 600£ cheaper then mbp) but people seems to have issues with sound, keyboard and quite a few other bits.

The other contender is Asus UX550 there is not much reviews around and it seems to have similar body design as the mbp so I am afraid of thermal issues.

I know the logic of powerful machine in sleek solid format is a tough one so if anyone has any suggestions to look at, similar to mbp and pretty punchy that be great.

Associate
Dell XPS all the way in my opinion

I've deployed many of them at work and never had any issues with them, however I think they currently sell a revised model branded as the "New XPS 15" if I'm correct.

Soldato
No gaming, just heavy excel and chrome usage (and by heavy I am talking i7 and 16gb ram heavy)

She is inclined to the MBP is the one to get but I have read loads about thermal throttling on both i7 and i9 versions, that have been mitigated by some patch that actually only down clocks the cpu.

Whilst I assume huge spreadsheets could take a fair bit of ram, surely it wouldn't be that processor heavy? Surely not enough to really start heating things up? Am I being naive thinking surely an i7 is overkill?

Also, I think Apple already deployed a fix for the throttling.

Soldato
OP
Whilst I assume huge spreadsheets could take a fair bit of ram, surely it wouldn't be that processor heavy? Surely not enough to really start heating things up? Am I being naive thinking surely an i7 is overkill?

Also, I think Apple already deployed a fix for the throttling.
I have seen the load, when she works on my PC I have i7 4970k oc to 5GHz and she is using 70% with noctua massive cooler. Its the combo of excel and google analytics and loads of tabs open and Project management tools.

They did deploy the fix but from what i have read their fix is to throttle the CPU to 3.3ghz so it doesn't overhear to more then 100C... so not sure if id consider it a "fix"

Soldato
... and light so no ultra heavy omen laptops)

and it needs some proper power (i7-8750H or better
That's pretty much "Syntax error" in there.
It's simply impossible to really cool in reality pretty much desktop CPU in true slim and light laptop size.

While undervolting can help to improve continuous load performance, even "mobile workstation" laptops are always balancing between trying to perform and avoid overheating.
And best portability is simply completely incompatible

They did deploy the fix but from what i have read their fix is to throttle the CPU to 3.3ghz so it doesn't overhear to more then 100C... so not sure if id consider it a "fix"
"Fix" was band aid and plaster.
Because cause was as much inadequately designed/undersized CPU VRM to actually be able to feed CPU:
The problem here is that these are Intel recommended settings for this processor, which assumes that you are able to supply 100W for the steady state. Testing by the OP has revealed that the VRM can supply up to 49W before maxing out.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Throt...improperly-set-VRM-power-limits.318176.0.html
Though there's still only so much you can do to get desktop CPU working in laptop...

Soldato
OP
Thinkpad X1 Extreme or Thinkpad P1?

I looked into those, the X1 is a possible contender, quite close to the price of the Mac Pro, I will do more research.

That's pretty much "Syntax error" in there.
It's simply impossible to really cool in reality pretty much desktop CPU in true slim and light laptop size.

While undervolting can help to improve continuous load performance, even "mobile workstation" laptops are always balancing between trying to perform and avoid overheating.
And best portability is simply completely incompatible

"Fix" was band aid and plaster.
Because cause was as much inadequately designed/undersized CPU VRM to actually be able to feed CPU:
The problem here is that these are Intel recommended settings for this processor, which assumes that you are able to supply 100W for the steady state. Testing by the OP has revealed that the VRM can supply up to 49W before maxing out.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Throt...improperly-set-VRM-power-limits.318176.0.html
Though there's still only so much you can do to get desktop CPU working in laptop...

Whilst you are very correct in this scenario I am looking for lesser evil, from all I can see if you under volt the XPS 15 you can get decent clocks with manageable temperature over time, its just there is plague of other issues that people seem to have
like the 1.7 bios, it seem to fix some stuff but the comments below the article says it break others
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-shelves-its-new-XPS-15-9570-BIOS.393561.0.html

That's why I'm looking for a sorted machine and the overheating issue I'd deal with with under volting or not deal with it at all depending hoe bad it is.

Soldato
Don't touch the XPS, we're replacing all our developer ones with the x1 extreme. We've had lots of issues, very high incident rate.

Soldato
I looked into those, the X1 is a possible contender, quite close to the price of the Mac Pro, I will do more research.
Lenovo has quite often discounts, which make nice difference in price.
For example 10% discount is available quite regularly:
https://discountcode.dailymail.co.uk/lenovo

And count into price that for its expensive price Apple gives bad joke/insult level one year warranty. (just like Microsoft for Surface Book)
https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/uk-ireland-universal-warranty.html
While Lenovo's rule for high end products is three year on-site warranty.
(at least in Lenovo's pages for Finland and UK)

Though Apple's short warranty isn't any wonder with their "think different" designs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8
And this looks like next "think different" weak spot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzjoELvrkYo

While even their service is as much scam/ripping people off as service:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2r-g8EaTfY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2_SZ4tfLns

While at the service of company giving warranty comparable to high end price...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZiSxPvuPLc

An I used to think that there's some actual quality behind public image...
Apple is like Scientology, the more you find out of it, the more "something is rotten in the state of Denmark" compared to public image.

Soldato
I replaced my 2012 MBP with a Dell XPS 9550. Probably the biggest mistake I’ve ever made. The trackpad was unbelievably poor compared to the MBP, and the general build quality just sucked. Windows 10 is atrocious too IMHO. I ended up buying another MBP and never looked back.

As an aside, check the girlfriend is happy with Windows. If she’s not used to it then it could be a real culture shock moving over from MacOS.

Soldato
OP
I am now fully looking into the x1 extreme, the issues with xps seems to be serious and this is my one shot to give her good suggestion.
She is happy using windows as long as its good machine, the only issue I struggle with is the fact I cannot fine the x1 anywhere in "showroom" to show her so she can look at and type on the keyboard and so on.
If anyone knows someone in london who has the machine I'd be very grateful.

And in regards of the apple and its warranty, because of the mBP has the issue with the keyboard and it can come at any time, imagine you dropping 2.4k for it just to develop the double ghost touch on the keyboard in 18 months, apple will tell yo to leave and you have a dud for loads of money. Lenovo at least give a good warranty plus I might even consider extra warranty.

Soldato
OP
I bought my MBP from John Lewis as they gave a 3 year warranty. Just FYI incase it helps anyone :)
Well It will be useful when the keyboard gives up, which seems to be extremely common?
Surface Book 2?

Mine is spot on.
Its 200£ on top the x1 for the same spec plus the Microsoft site doesn't show what gpu is in it or what i7 it has or am I blind ?
I've contacted Lenovo they said they have 14 days free return if I dont like it but the P1 Is cheaper with quadro 1000 then the X1 with 1050ti...

Man of Honour
Spectre x360 ticks all the boxes :) im running the one with the i7 8705g and it's been a superb little machine. Good looking, Light, fast, 4k, thunderbolt's, will genuinely do a full days work on the battery.

Soldato
OP
Spectre x360 ticks all the boxes :) im running the one with the i7 8705g and it's been a superb little machine. Good looking, Light, fast, 4k, thunderbolt's, will genuinely do a full days work on the battery.
Do you not struggle with thermal throttle ? seems to be the issue after a quick google search ? and Few people mention the hinges dont align ?

Back
Top Bottom