Asus PG279Q ROG SWIFT 27"

Man of Honour
Do we have an Asus rep on the forum?

The last one got banned IIRC not sure why.

Unfortunately monitors these days are a huge lottery - I don't know a lot of people with the PG279 but those I do have been through a few - don't even get me started on the PG278 (I know someone IRL who has RMA'd atleast 7 possibly more I've not had an update in awhile and been through 3 myself).

Associate
LOL read the review by "redone13" he's on his 5th monitor (4 x PG279Q & 1 x PG279QZ) still has QA problems
That’s bad news. I contacted ASUS customer support in US and they confirmed this is a replacement for the Q version. He didn’t say what was different though!

Associate
They obviously done something, the reviews are ‘largely’ positive. You would think they would be universally positive though if the QZ is designed as a replacement to the Q, which would make me think they have addressed (or tried to address) some of the shortfalls

Man of Honour
Hmmmm I know it can be a bit of a lottery but some people will RMA even if they have tiny bit of bleed

Yeah that does annoy me actually - granted some of these are expensive monitors but when people go over everything with a fine toothcomb then return because there is some ridiculously tiny less than perfection that is completely immaterial to operation it rubs me up the wrong way.

Soldato
They obviously done something, the reviews are ‘largely’ positive.

Have they though ? The reviews were positive for the PG279Q its still in the best 1440p monitor rankings often the top one. You may see the 'largely' positive reviews dip a bit as more are sold.

It might be something small where they have changed the supplier of some of the parts and the frame is slightly different but its enough for them to change the model moniker. Bit like a motherboard manufacturer when the have revision 1.0, 1.1 the difference is small. Are there any reviews online for this new model that list the differences ?

After a quick google

I received the following message from ASUS via their Facebook page (it's in Danish) after asking for the difference between the two models:

"Hej <removed my name for anonymity reasons>

Der er ingen forskel på dem :)

PG279QZ har bare fået et andet navn til det amerikanske marked.

Mvh Regnar"

He basically says that there is no difference between PG279Q and PG279QZ other than the fact that the latter is for the American market.

Not sure how accurate this is
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/asus-rog-pg279q-vs-asus-pg279qz/578/727

I even found one for sale on Gumtree posted 4 days ago which is being sold because the seller says its too big ??!! They bought it from the US. I wont link it just in case I break OCUK rules but I've emailed asking for a black picture as the one shown looks like Far Cry or some game you cant tell what its like.

Last edited:
Associate
I saw that ad you are referring to, very odd sounding and would be quite careful with it, you dont go to that much trouble to acquire the qz to get rid so quick, what isn't the seller saying...

Soldato
This is a better picture of the monitor he sent me doesnt look to big for the desk like he claims.

57a80.jpg

Associate
the top right and bottom right are usually the worst areas for bleed on the PG279 series, is the monitor turned on there with a black screen? Seems like its turned on alright and you can pick out where the backlight bleed is coming through. although, extremely hard to judge by pictures in any case

does not look too big at all on that desk, could be totally true and all but I dont buy it :)

Associate
I have this monitor, and on a completely black screen, i have ips glow in all 4 corners, its not bad, but I can see it if I have a completely black screen, when im gaming, or using it for any other task, I don't notice it at all, so it doesn't bother me. My only issue is I have 1 dead red pixel on the lower half of the screen, which is annoying, but its tiny so rarely notice it.

Soldato
I've tried to replicate same conditions he took the picture in but mine is completely black although that might be because my camera is a really good one on my phone. Its difficult to tell but after several different types of shot mine looks a lot better than his. Worrying for me is the bit above the logo in all my photos I have nothing there yet his has some kind of fuzzy indifference. Always hard to tell with photos. Anyways I have no interest happy with mine.

Soldato
You can never tell from photos for comparison, too many variables.

I have this monitor. Took years literally to build up courage to spin the roulette wheel.

Super happy with it. A little IPS glow and a tad of bleed at the top right.

In a dark room. It doesnt bother me, but I'm hardly ever in a dark room.

Thinking of getting another tbh as prices have dropped as it has aged.

Associate
Prices not dropping fast enough, it’s a weird market, you would expect a product that is at least 3 years old to get a price cut but not here. There’s no rush to replace either which again is weird as you would expect new manufacturing processes and features to be updated but no sign of that. A lot going to 4K which is fine for a tv but I don’t want a 4K monitor as I use it for more than gaming

Associate
Bought one in the fall, little glow, had a dead pixel, so returned it. Next was without dead pixels...still had a little glow right lower corner, but nothing that I could not live with. Also, I used a brigthness around 35-ish, hence at that level the glow was more or less gone. This was the case for both. I ended up returning the second one also, because of another issue (which was also on the first monitor). The uniformity of the panels were horrible (if that is the correct term). Imagine drawing a line from top right to bottom left corner, and having the top part being all yellow, the lower part all blueish (exaggerated, but to make the point clear). In gaming this is not the biggest issue, but more or less everytime I was on the Windows desktop (MS office, Chrome etc.) with white colors, my eyes hurt. The inability to actually produce and show a decent uniform white background was unbearable.

I really wanted the monitor though, so when returning the second one, I had the guy in the store actually check a few more on site, for the white-issue. Even with different production dates (and not checking for glow at all), all came up with the same result. I really wanted to like the monitor, and for gaming it was superb. Right now im back on my 14 year old Eizo S2410w, which is crap for a lot of things, only 60Hz etc., but still provides a better white background when doing desktop work. Still on the outlook for a replacement though, and if I find a PG279Q without the iussue, I'll buy it right away. That is how good this monitor is.

Soldato
This is a better picture of the monitor he sent me doesnt look to big for the desk like he claims.

57a80.jpg
WOW that light bleed at the top centre is terrible :D:p

On more serious note: Does looks like it has bad light bleed in the bottom right corner
My Asus PG34Q also suffers from light bleed :(:(:(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom