Road Cycling

Soldato
Joys of Garmin ownership! 520 recording a ride home tonight. Stopped at the shops paused it put in bag, went to leave and wouldn't power on. Brought it home reset it, then wouldn't get past boot screen. Got it on the PC and deleted a load of activities and voila it's working!
I'm not sure what's happening.

Again and again I'm agreeing with every word that xdcx says. Is it me that's changed? Or him?! :eek:

Go into the corner and stand there until you've realised your mistake.

Associate
Some advise, my rear tubeless tyre punctures this evening during the ride home. I was able to get it pumped up again and made it home, however on inspecting it, I found the below. Do you think it's a lost cause? I'm a bit annoyed as I've only put about 800 miles on them. They are IRC roadlite x-guards, so I expected better.

rmTmv0n

XpDLRj6

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah that looks very much past it’s best unfortunately! Low mileage, have you locked up on it at some point?
Actually, yes, there were two occasions last week, once when a guy was crossing between cars in traffic pushing shopping trolley, and the second when a car decided to turn across me. The joys of commuting in London. Any recommendations on a replacement?

Last edited:
Soldato
The joys of commuting in London. Any refommendarecom on a replacement?

I'm less than 6 months into my conversion to tubeless, but I've not been unhappy with the Hutchinson tyres after ~1500mi. They do have a ridiculous name: "HUTCHINSON FUSION 5 ALL SEASON 11STORM". :rolleyes:

I've had a few punctures including 2 that were too big to seal and so required tyre plugs/worms. I think in London this is to be expected and I'm fairly sure a tyre/tube combo wouldn't have fared any better.

Soldato
Thanks guys for the Lake District info.

I'm running a 28T atm and these look proper steep climbs. I might need to find a 2nd hand 30T/32T off Ebay or something.

Soldato
Got a place in the Fred Whitton challenge! I’ve got longer to train than last year. I was a reserve with only a week notice.
How did it go last year? The Fred is probably one of the few UK sportives I'd be prepared to travel for. The majority of the others I'm far too sceptical about - things like Velo Birmingham I'm unlikely to ride as I still consider them a 'new' event, even though it's one of the closer ones to me. :rolleyes:

Got a place in the Fred too but not sure it's worth it. After all costs, it will probably be over £200 just to ride my bike in a sportive!
It's in it's 20th year and meant to be one of the hardest in the UK. Worth crossing off!

Much more of a traditional 'epic' audax/Fondo/Challenge than the usual 'it's not a race, but we'll race it' UK Sportive. :D

Joys of Garmin ownership! 520 recording a ride home tonight. Stopped at the shops paused it put in bag, went to leave and wouldn't power on. Brought it home reset it, then wouldn't get past boot screen. Got it on the PC and deleted a load of activities and voila it's working!
Wow, what a PITA! How many activities on the 520?

Have to say my ELEMNT is getting a little sluggish at times (usually when shutting down) and just wonder if I should do the same. I did 666 rides in 2018 and 748 in 2017 (bought my ELEMNT NYE 2016), so it could be a similar issue (due to all my short commutes).

The Edge 810 did barely 1000 rides before it started playing up (441 in 2015, 606 in 2016 - it played up for 6 months before finally dying).

Some advise, my rear tubeless tyre punctures this evening during the ride home. I was able to get it pumped up again and made it home, however on inspecting it, I found the below. Do you think it's a lost cause? I'm a bit annoyed as I've only put about 800 miles on them. They are IRC roadlite x-guards, so I expected better.

rmTmv0n

XpDLRj6
Lost cause! That's shredded! :o

Hutchingson review very well and Shamrock's experience so far has been great.

If you're after something cheaper then I've got 500 miles on my Specialized Roubaix Pro 30/32 '2bliss' (Specialized tubeless tech). But they are quite heavy. Good budget option as at £29 in my LBS you should find them cheaper online. Cheap enough to consider a city commute tyre over more expensive softer rubber.

Although the thinner 28mm are not '2bliss' ready (nor are the 2016/7 32mm). The older non 2bliss 25/28mm set I have (that came with my 2016 Diverge) are heavier than these, but have done at least 4000 miles, easily having another 2000 miles on them (barely half way through the wear holes) with only punctures from thorns (around 3-4 over 2 winters of use). They seem bomb proof and replaced GP4 Seasons as my go-to winter choice.

https://rideonmagazine.com.au/review-specialized-roubaix-pro-2bliss-tyre/

Thanks guys for the Lake District info.

I'm running a 28T atm and these look proper steep climbs. I might need to find a 2nd hand 30T/32T off Ebay or something.
I have at least 2 worn 5800 32T cassettes, the latest is probably fine as has only done 4000 miles (came from my original wheelset I replaced with my Zipps). You're welcome to it for postage cost!

Last edited:
Soldato
I have at least 2 worn 5800 32T cassettes, the latest is probably fine as has only done 4000 miles (came from my original wheelset I replaced with my Zipps). You're welcome to it for postage cost!

Very kind offer but actually just after I posted that I realised I can just take the 30T off my Tacx Flux and use that. :)

Soldato
Lol random email from Planet X I just received...

>Begin forwarded message:
>From: dave loughran <[email protected]>
>
>Subject: ec130 r8000 pricing
>
>Date: 22 January 2019 at 10:53:05 GMT
>
>
>price is far too low. need to lift price on this bike
>https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/EBPXEC130R8000/planet-x-ec-130e-shimano-ultegra-r8000-carbon-road-bike
>can you sort.
>better give people some sort of warning. lets put it up when i get back.
>dont do another stupid text email.
>just walking dog.
>ring you later

Soldato
It's got to be a really weak marketing ploy. You can't just send emails through mailing list systems like that by accident and I doubt their internal communications go near it.

Back
Top Bottom