Shaming in the media - School Kids vs Native Americans

Soldato
Let me guess, somehow the far-right KKK are actually somehow left-wing?

Being right wing means your defending the State. Trying to impose an ideology on to the State isn't right wing.

I don't think people these days realise how ingrained in to society the KKK were back then. Which brings us back to media distortion through opinion articles.

A few threads ago there was another story about how weak the vetting process was for peer review papers, and some people said why is it an issue. Well this is why, because misleading information pushing the writers own ideology then gets taken as fact.

Soldato

Which assists my point...

The change wasn’t total or immediate. During the late 1960s and early ‘70s, white Southerners were still transitioning away from the Democratic party

So they article claims the change didn't happen at the time of the civil rights act but took two decades to happen?

Or perhaps a more accurate account is that the majority of southerners ditched the Democrats because the Democrats had ditched them by morphing from being the party of explicit racism through slavery and Jim Crow to the more subtle racism of a party mostly appealing to a certain type of well of whites and poor minorities who they had taken to bribing with welfare (with the aforementioned rich whites personally benefiting from a servile impoverished class of increasinly imported minorities to the expense of the pre existing poor population)

The Democrats were and remain the more racist party of America.

The Republicans were and are the party of protecting the USA's borders whilst caring far less for the colour of the people within its border.

From your link....

The Republican party was originally founded in the mid-1800s to oppose immigration and the spread of slavery

Poor minorities and poor whites of course have suffered the most under democratic lead policies which have lead to far worse employment rates and educational attainment, the collapse of the family and now a divided nation staggering towards calamity.

The 1964 election wasn't won by the Democrats so much on issues of racism but social policy (with the Democrats ramping up the welfare state by this point as above to bribe people for votes against their long terms interests.)

The United States presidential election of 1964 was the sixth-most lopsided presidential election in the history of the United States behind the elections of 1936, 1984, 1972, 1864, and 1980 (in terms of electoral votes; in terms of popular vote, it was the fifth-most). President Lyndon B. Johnson had come to office less than a year earlier following the assassination of his predecessor, John F. Kennedy, and Johnson had successfully associated himself with Kennedy's popularity. Johnson also successfully painted his opponent, Republican Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona, as a right-wing legislator who wanted to abolish the social welfare programs created in the 1930s (such as Social Security). LBJ advocated more such programs, and after 1965, instituted three: Medicare, Medicaid, and the War on Poverty.

Hence white Southerners starting ditching the Democrats becuase they had shifted socially and economically to the left not because they had suddenly all universally seen the light and turned overnight from being out and out racists to the less racist party of America.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ignore feature working well after reading possibly the most troll ridden comment on GD :D.

As I said in the Trump thread, I am going to go out on a limb :p here and call out the boys as complete idiots. There are 1000 better things to do than attend a rally with MAGA hats.

Soldato
Ignore feature working well after reading possibly the most troll ridden comment on GD :D.

As I said in the Trump thread, I am going to go out on a limb :p here and call out the boys as complete idiots. There are 1000 better things to do than attend a rally with MAGA hats.

You choosing to call out the kids and not the explicitly racist (and in one groups case homophobic) adults (both the blacks and native Americans) says a lot about whoose really a troll and being idiotic here...

Crawl back to your safe space hiding behind a block function if you like... I block zero people....

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ive not read or seen anything on this.

But I do want to punch his face

But not as much as James Stunts which I would punch with a JCB if I could.

Associate
Ive not read or seen anything on this.

But I do want to punch his face

But not as much as James Stunts which I would punch with a JCB if I could.

Why do you want to punch him? People are mistaking akwardness and being uncomfortable as smugness.

18 year old me would have reacted like that too if some random came out of nowhere and started drumming inches from my face whilst staring right at me.

Man of Honour
Why do you want to punch him? People are mistaking akwardness and being uncomfortable as smugness.

18 year old me would have reacted like that too if some random came out of nowhere and started drumming inches from my face whilst staring right at me.

I want to punch you now

:D

;)

It was meant to be light hearted irreverence nothing more.

Associate
I want to punch you now

:D

;)

It was meant to be light hearted irreverence nothing more.
Haha fair enough , went over my head.

TbIf I genuinely did want to punch him , I fell for the fake news and couldn't defend them from what I was seeing and reading.

Feel bad now, it's unreal how far the media has gone. Bunch of kids wearing maga hats getting compared to Nazis for being white and smirking and those opposite being racist as **** get left out of the news.

Man of Honour
In respect of the aforementioned twitter posts, I don’t actually read twitter or any news that stems from it as it demonstrably (and perpetually) utter twaddle. I don’t think virtually anyone on there that is quoted in the media has a point of view that comes close to reasonable. It can be ignored, I think.

Soldato

Indeed, Every body should remember that moment when you are dragged up infront of the whole class for some misdemeanor and given a berating

WHAT ARE YOU SMILING AT BOY? DO YOU THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

:p

Caporegime
OP
In respect of the aforementioned twitter posts, I don’t actually read twitter or any news that stems from it as it demonstrably (and perpetually) utter twaddle. I don’t think virtually anyone on there that is quoted in the media has a point of view that comes close to reasonable. It can be ignored, I think.

The point re: the twitter posts was more about the seemingly inconsistent approach to enforcing their rules. These platforms are influential whether you're interested in them or not, we'd perhaps not have had an a decent objection to the original narrative in this particular story for example if not for the ability of people to upload footage on youtube, share on twitter etc.. and show how there was so much missing from the initial reporting of events.

Caporegime
OP
Don't know if anyone saw this earlier, the story has gone viral on social media and has had coverage on CNN, the BBC etc... I'm not really a fan of claims the "MSM" is biased etc.. but this time they're shooting themselves in the foot and just playing into the narrative from the likes of Trump that they're "Fake news CNN" etc...

just to bring this thread back up and re: them not doing themselves any favours on that case - it seems CNN has been the first media company to settle a law suit over its "fake news" coverage of these boys:

https://www.fox19.com/2020/01/07/cnn-settles-lawsuit-with-nick-sandmann/

Sandmann’s lawsuit sought $800 million from CNN, the Washington Post and NBC Universal.

Trial dates are still not set for Sandmann’s lawsuit against NBC Universal and the Washington Post.

The Washington Post suit sought $250 million. A federal judge let a portion of the suit go forward after The Post filed a motion to dismiss it.

Obvs I doubt he got anywhere near the headline amount asked for.

Incidentally, there was a rather shocking murder of a university student in NYC recently, got some right wingers angry (presumably because the killers were black, victim white etc..) - but the interesting thing was that various publications chose not to name the teen arrested over it (not out of any legal requirement not to but just on the basis that he was a minor).

Seems very dubious - if they can frame you as privileged, white and (most importantly) having the wrong political views then minor or not you can be both named and shamed in the media and various lies/exaggerations told about you for something that wasn't even a crime. They know full well that they can attempt to ruin this kid's life etc.. because of how he reacted, when approached by a weird old guy banging a drum in his face while waiting for a bus on a school trip. Who cares if he they gets death threats and most of the blue checkmark types on twitter are all over him, they've got advertising to sell and distorting this case makes for plenty of clickbait.

Kill a university student and well, you're a minor (and importantly not a trump supporter or perceived to be privileged)... best keep your name out of it and actually be responsible journalists who stick to a set of guidelines etc...

Soldato
just to bring this thread back up and re: them not doing themselves any favours on that case - it seems CNN has been the first media company to settle a law suit over its "fake news" coverage of these boys:

https://www.fox19.com/2020/01/07/cnn-settles-lawsuit-with-nick-sandmann/

Obvs I doubt he got anywhere near the headline amount asked for.

Incidentally, there was a rather shocking murder of a university student in NYC recently, got some right wingers angry (presumably because the killers were black, victim white etc..) - but the interesting thing was that various publications chose not to name the teen arrested over it (not out of any legal requirement not to but just on the basis that he was a minor).

Seems very dubious - if they can frame you as privileged, white and (most importantly) having the wrong political views then minor or not you can be both named and shamed in the media and various lies/exaggerations told about you for something that wasn't even a crime. They know full well that they can attempt to ruin this kid's life etc.. because of how he reacted, when approached by a weird old guy banging a drum in his face while waiting for a bus on a school trip. Who cares if he they gets death threats and most of the blue checkmark types on twitter are all over him, they've got advertising to sell and distorting this case makes for plenty of clickbait.

Kill a university student and well, you're a minor (and importantly not a trump supporter or perceived to be privileged)... best keep your name out of it and actually be responsible journalists who stick to a set of guidelines etc...

I've noticed a big problem since the Internet become mainstream is people don't realise the power they have when they comment. They seem to not realise they are typing to real people with real feelings. It's only one step down from a stalker mentality, were they don't see the people they are talking about as real human beings. They are effectively waving a big propaganda weapon around and don't realise it.

They have chosen to put out news that doesn't challenge anything. They just go with the flow as repeaters. Most of them don't even check the stories they post.

It's difficult to know what can be done with the media in the US as they have the freedom to write what they want, and it comes down to the targetted person to take them to court. Over here its a different story and the media are regulated more heavily so they are less wild in posting propaganda because they know they have to at least run some checks on the stories they post or they will be pulled up by the regulator.

Soldato
It's the Us vs Them mentality, it doesn't matter who the victim is if they have the "wrong politics". The US and West in general is extremely polarised currently and objectivity and impartiality is not part of media discourse.

Soldato

That video is eye opening to the factual events on that day!

Back
Top Bottom