2005 Polo 1.4FSI camshaft position sensor?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Quick Q - my sister's 55 plate Polo (AXU chain-driven engine) sometimes struggles to start (starter motor OK).

A mechanic reckons it's the crank or camshaft position sensor (sounds plausible), so he wants to try that. Otherwise, he'll have to replace the camshaft itself (seems extreme).

Anyway, could it be the crank or camshaft position sensor, and if so, what would be a fair price to replace it at a local mechanic in London? Cheers!

Last edited:
Associate
Could be various things, when you say it sometimes struggles to start, is it only when the engine is cold/warm etc, does it stop then start again fine?

CPS could be it, but there's known issues with a coolant temp sensor in those cars which can cause starting issues AFAIK.

Soldato
If it's a non turbo/supercharged engine the crank sensor isn't usually that hard to access using a ramp. You'll probably get charged an hour labour but actual part swapping time.would be more like 15 / 20 minutes

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
OK, I didn't think it was a massive job. The part itself seems to be reasonably cheap at under £50 at the very most. So if they want £200-300 then labour rates must be quite high :eek:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
UPDATE:

Sensors replaced, still doesn't start every time. Mechanic reckons either the chain isn't linking up properly or some engine fault that will require the engine to be taken apart. "£700-800 and not worth it" in his words. Lame.
Any decent lease deals around? ;D

What's the best place to sell? eBay/gumtree? What's the best approach? Play stupid?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
I dunno. She bought the thing for £2275 over 4 years ago so I think it's had a pretty good innings!

What's it worth? £900 on Gumtree with "electrical fault"? (mechanic reckons that maybe it's the ECU)......
FWIW she should probably find a new mechanic.

EDIT- so it doesn't start when the engine is warm. Will start fine when cold, but if you turn it off when warm it won't start again.
So either the coolant sensor, or the chain has stretched.

Last edited:
Soldato
I dunno. She bought the thing for £2275 over 4 years ago so I think it's had a pretty good innings!

What's it worth? £900 on Gumtree with "electrical fault"? (mechanic reckons that maybe it's the ECU)......
FWIW she should probably find a new mechanic.

EDIT- so it doesn't start when the engine is warm. Will start fine when cold, but if you turn it off when warm it won't start again.
So either the coolant sensor, or the chain has stretched.

Very common fault for the chain guides to go and cause the chain to be slack I would bet it is this. You know the garage don't have a clue when they start saying a fault with the ECU for random starting issues, a faulty coolant temperature is easy to check.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
Very common fault for the chain guides to go and cause the chain to be slack I would bet it is this. You know the garage don't have a clue when they start saying a fault with the ECU for random starting issues, a faulty coolant temperature is easy to check.
TBF I believe he did say it could be the chain at the beginning. But yes, I suspect he's just saying random things at this point :p

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
Apparently CTS was replaced recently. Whatever, not my problem!
So what’s this scrap-value 2004 97,000-mile Polo worth?

She’s put it up for £500 but I can’t imagine anyone will bite given it doesn’t start when warm.
Stretched chain is game over surely?

Soldato
Apparently CTS was replaced recently. Whatever, not my problem!
So what’s this scrap-value 2004 97,000-mile Polo worth?

She’s put it up for £500 but I can’t imagine anyone will bite given it doesn’t start when warm.
Stretched chain is game over surely?

Timing chain replacement should only be about £4-500

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
Timing chain replacement should only be about £4-500
On a car worth £500 :p

Tax runs out on Thursday as well. Time for the scrappy if no offers. Unless someone on here wants it for a couple hundred notes? North London if interested..

Back
Top Bottom