Good lease deals on less than great cars

Soldato
The manufacturer contribution is often around the level of the credit charge, in this case its £3.3k interest roughly vs £4k deposit.
The dealer amount seems quite high, but its only 23.5% discount, which is by no means unusual when taking a PCP. (Target for a lot of models is often around 20%)

37% residual after 4 years, sounds a little on the low side, bit not significantly I guess. That would be a good car to pickup at 4 years with 32k on the clock for under £14k.

£5k a year to drive that. I suppose if its your thing then thats not a terrible amount.

Soldato
The manufacturer contribution is often around the level of the credit charge, in this case its £3.3k interest roughly vs £4k deposit.
The dealer amount seems quite high, but its only 23.5% discount, which is by no means unusual when taking a PCP. (Target for a lot of models is often around 20%)

37% residual after 4 years, sounds a little on the low side, bit not significantly I guess. That would be a good car to pickup at 4 years with 32k on the clock for under £14k.

£5k a year to drive that. I suppose if its your thing then thats not a terrible amount.

a 3.0 turbo i6 bmw hatchback for 5k/year is pretty darn good :)

Soldato
OcUK Staff

The end GFV/Balloon figures are now way way below estimated market rate to ensure the consumer still has equity in the car, they have to operate like this these days. Car will probably be worth circa 22k used with that miles, maybe a touch less or a touch more, the end final payment is a worse case scenario to the extreme.

The end GFV/Balloon figures are now way way below estimated market rate to ensure the consumer still has equity in the car, they have to operate like this these days. Car will probably be worth circa 22k used with that miles, maybe a touch less or a touch more, the end final payment is a worse case scenario to the extreme.

maybe, I am struggling to see 22k, but who knows.
The site i tend to always check is fleet news, they have been very accurate historically for cars I have bought etc and also for friends who I have pointed their direction.
On 4 year 40k they say residual £13.3k. I think thats probably a little low, but as I say they do tend to be pretty accurate I find.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/car-sta...dition-auto-2019/4111431/?Years=4&Miles=40000

Associate
As is always the case with leasing - the best deals are usually not a car you really want but if you can live with it then you can have a very cheap new car:

Volvo V90 Cross Country T5
Free Metallic paint
1+17 8k p.a.
£270 inc vat.
works out at £6700 for 2 year 10k p.a. equivalent
RRP of £45,885 so 14.6%

Man of Honour
Well I've gone for an M140 from my local dealer, there's one in stock so hopefully pick up soon. Focus being PX'd and I am tempted to sell the Civic as I do about 4 track days a year so not worth keeping it especially since the BMW will be able to do that, albeit not as quick or fun, but not terrible either. RWD will bring an entirely new dynamic to the game.

Soldato
The percentage of list price justification seems to be the only criteria people use now. "I'm only paying 20% of an overly inflated list price to drive a car I don't particularly want for half the average annual mileage... but hey, it's only costing me £3.5k a year"

What bugs me is that this almost encourages manufacturers to keep ramping up list prices. If anything that will actually drive sales as it makes the monthly payments look even better value... doesn't help my P11D though :p

Soldato

It’s more to protect the finance house that’s lending the money! Returned car should be worth more than remaining debt for obvious reasons.

Man of Honour
The percentage of list price justification seems to be the only criteria people use now. "I'm only paying 20% of an overly inflated list price to drive a car I don't particularly want for half the average annual mileage... but hey, it's only costing me £3.5k a year"

What bugs me is that this almost encourages manufacturers to keep ramping up list prices. If anything that will actually drive sales as it makes the monthly payments look even better value... doesn't help my P11D though :p

People really should be using actual attainable purchase price not list price, as you said the list price is almost irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom