• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
LtMatt, do you know of an issue with the latest drivers that causes a black screen? All drivers released after 12.1.1 have resulted in a black screen at boot up when I restart after installing the drivers. Windows logo appears like normal but then I get a black screen, I presume this is when the driver installs. I have to go into safe mode to remove the drivers and reinstall 12.1.1 to fix it.

Any ideas? I have a V56 with V64 bios installed if that would make any diffence.

Caporegime
OP
LtMatt, do you know of an issue with the latest drivers that causes a black screen? All drivers released after 12.1.1 have resulted in a black screen at boot up when I restart after installing the drivers. Windows logo appears like normal but then I get a black screen, I presume this is when the driver installs. I have to go into safe mode to remove the drivers and reinstall 12.1.1 to fix it.

Any ideas? I have a V56 with V64 bios installed if that would make any diffence.
Not heard of that Spud.

12.1.1 is not compatible with Vega so i will assume a typo and you mean 18.1.1.

Try disabling Fast Startup if using Win 10 and see if that helps.

Soldato

Sounds quite similar to what just happened on my PC...

Just before popping out at 1400, there was a Windows 10 update for Microsoft (Framework?) 4.5, I was prompted to install and then shut down PC.

Having come back home I turned PC on, Windows logo screen is fine during boot, but I now get a black screen with a flashing grey vertical band where I should see the login screen and background pic of the day.

Anyone else?

Any ideas, please?

R9 390 Nitro, latest beta 19.1.1 drivers, using Display Port to Benq xl2730z

Edit2: Seems to have been fixed by removing DP cable from card and then re-inserting. Had tried uninstalling the last "quality update" for Windows 10 via Recovery too, but several reboots resolved nothing. However, Windows informed me of resetting Wattman when I logged in, yet my card runs at stock settings.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Sounds quite similar to what just happened on my PC...

Just before popping out at 1400, there was a Windows 10 update for Microsoft (Framework?) 4.5, I was prompted to install and then shut down PC.

Having come back home I turned PC on, Windows logo screen is fine during boot, but I now get a black screen with a flashing grey vertical band where I should see the login screen and background pic of the day.

Anyone else?

Any ideas, please?

R9 390 Nitro, latest beta 19.1.1 drivers, using Display Port to Benq xl2730z

Edit2: Seems to have been fixed by removing DP cable from card and then re-inserting. Had tried uninstalling the last "quality update" for Windows 10 via Recovery too, but several reboots resolved nothing. However, Windows informed me of resetting Wattman when I logged in, yet my card runs at stock settings.
DDU and a clean install would be something to try.

Soldato
Not heard of that Spud.

12.1.1 is not compatible with Vega so i will assume a typo and you mean 18.1.1.

Try disabling Fast Startup if using Win 10 and see if that helps.

sorry I meant the 18.12.1. All drivers I've used since then have given me a black screen as described above :(

Edit - Pretty sure fast boot is already disabled but I'll double check.

Will give DDU a try also.

Last edited:
It still doesn't load my custom profile automatically, and I still get rapid fluctuations between 0 and 100% GPU usage on AMD's own overlay, and on on MSI Afterburner, GPUZ, etc.
The latter seems to be a common problem. People online suggest enabling 'unified gpu usage monitoring' to fix it in MSI Afterburner, but all it does is lock the reading to 0%.
Tried updating drivers, reinstalling drivers, DDU then install drivers, etc. to no avail.

Soldato
It still doesn't load my custom profile automatically, and I still get rapid fluctuations between 0 and 100% GPU usage on AMD's own overlay, and on on MSI Afterburner, GPUZ, etc.
The latter seems to be a common problem. People online suggest enabling 'unified gpu usage monitoring' to fix it in MSI Afterburner, but all it does is lock the reading to 0%.
Tried updating drivers, reinstalling drivers, DDU then install drivers, etc. to no avail.
Basically whenever there's a huge driver update like we saw in 18.12.2 you need to wait a couple of months for all the bugs to get ironed out and all the related apps to get updated to work properly with the new driver. I've seen all of these bugs in the last couple of months (in fact my custom profile still doesn't load automatically on boot with 18.11.2, even though it used to with the same driver before I tried 18.12.2).

Soldato
Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.1.2 Release Notes
Support For
  • Resident Evil® 2
  • Tropico™ 6
  • Anthem™ Early Access
    • Up to 7% faster performance in Anthem using Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.1.2 on the Radeon™ RX 580 graphics card than with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin Edition 19.1.1 at 1920x1080 (1080p).RS-284
Fixed Issues
  • Some displays may experience a black screen on reboot until the display is power cycled.
  • A toast message may intermittently popup incorrectly suggesting that a new driver upgrade is available.
  • Rocket League™ may experience flickering or erratic refresh rates when Radeon FreeSync is enabled.
  • Custom installations of Radeon Software may sometimes fail to install Radeon Settings.
  • Radeon Settings may experience an application crash when Upgrade Advisor is refreshed by the user multiple times.
  • Users may not be able to upgrade to an optional driver if the latest recommended driver was installed by AMD Link.
Known Issues
  • Battlefield™ V players may experience character outlines stuck on screen after being revived.
  • Mouse lag or system slowdown is observed for extended periods of time with two or more displays connected and one display switched off.
  • Game Advisor may fail to load compatibility information for games when the gaming library is very large.
  • Uninstalling Radeon Software may fail to remove Radeon Settings.
  • Pixel Format settings may not retain after system restart.
  • Scene Editor may have issues with scrolling when many elements are added to a scene.
  • Custom settings in Radeon WattMan may sometimes fail to apply on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.
  • Radeon ReLive may intermittently experience captured recordings or Instant Replays with inverted colors.
  • HDMI Underscan settings may not retain after system restart.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-1-2

Associate
Zero RPM should work at default out of the box settings.

As soon as you adjust things in WattMan, for instance the fan/point PWM curve, Zero RPM will be disabled.

But why? It worked just fine before... makes nonsense, so far I am very dissapointed with 2019 adrenalin drivers tbh.

Anyway installed latest afterburner beta and there zero rpm works fine with a custom curve, sorted for now...

Soldato
I've put the same feedback to driver engineering.
Yeah it's pretty stupid to disable zero RPM mode just because WattMan is being used, especially when this did not happen before 18.12.2 and it's the default behaviour on so many cards.

I'll be playing Resident Evil 2 this weekend assuming I don't actually need this new driver for it to work properly. If I do, I guess I won't be playing it for another couple of months while all these issues are fixed. :(

Caporegime
OP
Yeah it's pretty stupid to disable zero RPM mode just because WattMan is being used, especially when this did not happen before 18.12.2 and it's the default behaviour on so many cards.

I'll be playing Resident Evil 2 this weekend assuming I don't actually need this new driver for it to work properly. If I do, I guess I won't be playing it for another couple of months while all these issues are fixed. :(
The latest driver does contain some performance optimisations for RE2, but should be fine on an older driver.

Back
Top Bottom