How easily do DVLA give out your details to other drivers?

Soldato
How easy is it for a private individual to get your name and address from your registration? I’m aware they give them out to parking firms or petrol stations etc with a valid reason but I Seem to be getting mixed answers on this. There are older threads on PH that suggest every man and his dog can fill out a v888 form and claim there car has been hit or that your car is abandoned on there land and as long as they pay the DVLA they will receive your full name and address registered to your car.
They obviously have to give a few details if they fill the form out but it looks easy to get around if need be.
Just asking as I had abit of an incident with some idiots in a car and after I had parked up they drove back around behind my car took a picture of my reg and sped off. Sadly I didn’t get there reg to report it so I doubt the police can do anything based on an assumption. Just worried they are going to get my address and do something.
DVLA site is useless in terms of enquiries but wondering if I ring would they tell me if someone has applied for my details with a fake reason.

Soldato
They won't give out details to anyone who phones up. Companies can pay them a lot of money for access to their database, if they have a real reason for needing it. But it's all "protected" by the data protection act.

But it's very likely there are dodgy copies of the database around, or dodgy people who have access to it. Because these things are never really secure.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
According to there site a private individual with “reasonable cause” can download a form pay £2.50 fill out some basic details that are easily blagged and receive your full details.
Reasonable cause is having your car hit by someone who drove off, a car abandoned on your land or by your property etc which are all easy to lie about.
Just wondering if I ring the DVLA and explain will they inform me if anybody has made an application for my details or if they can put a note on the system?
I’m kicking myself for not getting there registration as I could have at least reported it to the police. Probably have no chance of getting cctv footage from car parks myself do I?

Soldato
OP
Yeh might be worth a try. Does this work with cctv footage also? There’s 2 places that will show the car on camera I’m sure of it. Plod won’t be interested acquiring it will they based on an assumption and the fact I don’t have there reg. I know the car and time though

Soldato
must be some mechanism for you to tell dvla to block requests, unless they pass them by you first ... , like for spouses who could be in abuse situations. ?

Soldato
OP
They should log all enquiries on their system. You can make a Subject Access Request.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organ...bout/personal-information-charter#your-rights
Thanks! find it quite confusing to make sense of the info in the link though. So I can request by post or email if any enquires have been made against me :confused: that should show if anyone has made a request for my details?
I might try ringing also as someone else mentioned about blocking requests unless notified

Permabanned
Ring first, might be quicker. A Subject access request is generally just a request for all information they have about you, it's not specific. Which would theoretically include any details of who requested your data, if any have. I think. :p

Soldato
must be some mechanism for you to tell dvla to block requests, unless they pass them by you first ... , like for spouses who could be in abuse situations. ?
There is, I know it's the case for people with certain military clearance their vehicles details can't be accessed. Don't know if any old Joe could do that though, probably not.

Soldato
OP
What did you do to them
nothing it was 2 absolute chavs who tried to cut in from the wrong lane and i didnt allow them ensue tailgating and shouting then i got through the lights and into the supermarket car park and they had followed me in a few mins later took a picture of the back of my car for the reg and sped off. i presume i cannot request cctv from the supermarket based on an assumption? and the police will not be bothered? is it worth logging a complaint with them? i dont have there reg though but know the time and car model.

Soldato
OP
i think they will tbh they seem the type. he was laughing as he took it. and according to old threads on Ph every man off the street can just fill out a v888 form and send it off.

Associate
I’ve often wondered this. So many nutters out there that I worry have taken my reg and hold some sort of irrational grudge and throw acid in your face/ stab you/ damage your car a few weeks later....

I phoned DVLA once to ask if anyone had attempted to obtain my details and they refused to tell me anything....

Very interested in someone’s professional opinion on here.

Soldato
i think they will tbh they seem the type. he was laughing as he took it. and according to old threads on Ph every man off the street can just fill out a v888 form and send it off.

Sounds like he just wanted to scare you a bit - seems like he's done exactly that. The chances of anything happening are slim to none - move on.

Man of Honour
@Burnsy2023 might be able to offer some advice

To be honest, I'm no expert in this area. Police get DVLA details through PNC so don't interface with the DVLA directly and I'm not traffic.

With that said, I think I could give a bit of a steer. The DVLA should be assessing each request on the merits of the request. I don't know the process for this but it makes it highly unlikely that they'd block access to information on what the DVLA deems a legal request for a normal member of the public. It might be possible for national security reasons, but this is obviously not applicable. It's also highly unlikely that the DVLA would tell you who they've disclosed your details to. They might at best tell you how many requests they've had as part of a Subject Access Request, but they won't give personal details of who requested it.

Caporegime
How easy is it for a private individual to get your name and address from your registration? I’m aware they give them out to parking firms or petrol stations etc with a valid reason but I Seem to be getting mixed answers on this. There are older threads on PH that suggest every man and his dog can fill out a v888 form and claim there car has been hit or that your car is abandoned on there land and as long as they pay the DVLA they will receive your full name and address registered to your car.
They obviously have to give a few details if they fill the form out but it looks easy to get around if need be.
Just asking as I had abit of an incident with some idiots in a car and after I had parked up they drove back around behind my car took a picture of my reg and sped off. Sadly I didn’t get there reg to report it so I doubt the police can do anything based on an assumption. Just worried they are going to get my address and do something.
DVLA site is useless in terms of enquiries but wondering if I ring would they tell me if someone has applied for my details with a fake reason.

they likely know a bent copper so there is nothing you can do.

a copper told me that when they were buying their house they just logged on and checked out all his surrounding neighbours to see who they were linked to etc. as he had not bought the house yet it wouldn't be a red flag on the system he could say he was investigating something in the area.

Back
Top Bottom