Subnautica

Soldato
Yeah completed it, wasn't a big fan of the Cyclops tbh, felt a bit unwieldy compared to the other smaller ship!

Still it got me where I needed to go. Great game though!
Cyclops is really a full on roaming base and imo is the best thing about the game! I prefer it when it had no damage for a good while as iirc it required a lot of TLC last time I played. Outfit it with a ton of lockers and everything you need to survive and just explore away.

I honestly can't wait to see what new vehicles we get to play with in Below Zero. I've read nothing about it thus far and I recall January being touted as an early release date. Since the base game is done, they should hopefully have a better/easier time rolling the game out.

Soldato
I'd explored most of the map before I got it tbh, I was based in the lost river (or whatever it's called) at the time when I finally got the last hull reinforcements so I could bring it down there for the inactive lava zone lol

Associate
I'm the same only just unlocked a depth module for the seamoth that allowed me to get down to the lost river. I've just saved at the start of that so will continue it tonight.

It was handy as I'd already built a prawn suit and was wondering if I'd got it stuck down there forever, it's so bad at manoeuvering trying to get back out!

I assume the cyclops can manage even greater depths? Either way I'll be looking out for the last few bits I need for it.

Associate
I'm the same only just unlocked a depth module for the seamoth that allowed me to get down to the lost river. I've just saved at the start of that so will continue it tonight.

It was handy as I'd already built a prawn suit and was wondering if I'd got it stuck down there forever, it's so bad at manoeuvering trying to get back out!

I assume the cyclops can manage even greater depths? Either way I'll be looking out for the last few bits I need for it.

The Cyclops goes much deeper than the seamoth once you add the depth mods to it. You'll need it and a full modded Prawn Suit to explore the Lava zone and get all the stuff you need to finish the game.

Man of Honour
Well I finally discovered the Lost River.. Part of it anyway, thanks for the tips. I found some Nickel and can progress a little further. I'm trying to build a base down there, so I can at least recharge the Cyclops power cells without having to worry about doing it onboard and losing all my power. I still need to explore the land bases fully, particuarly the alien bit. I've got some unfinished business going on there with alien tablets and energy cells etc.. Need to work that out. Then I think I can dive down to the lava zones, eventually anyway. Need some of that Kayan stuff before I can upgrade my Prawn suit.

Soldato
The PRAWN suit is rubbish/useless without some essential upgrades. You can make it fairly early in the game but until you've got the drill arm, jump upgrade and to a lesser extent grappling arm, it's pointless having it. The drill arm is thankfully fairly easy to make - but then you still have the issue of getting the suit somewhere useful until you have the cyclops.

I recommend setting up a small base i.e. mp room and scanner, near a lost river entrance to mine what you need for the cyclops and PRAWN (Nickel and Crystalline Sulfur etc.). Bring as much as you can with you so you don't need to keep going back and forth to your main base. I ended up spending quite a bit of time there mining what I needed for all the upgrades.

edit: Just re-read and you already are setting up a base... Good man! :p

As far as power for the cyclops goes - you can build energy efficiency modules that help with that, you can also have it self charge near heat - there are loads of thermal vents in the lava zone so that's an essential upgrade too. Don't overdo silent running as that drains power as does the defence perimeter (or whatever it's called). Those two will drain power even when you're not in it - as I found out to my horror once.... miles away from my base :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
The Prawn is the best thing there is in this game for getting around as you can get in and around anywhere with the grapple, so just do your spiderman bit and set up a base as far down as you can with the Seamoth and go the rest of the way with the Prawn.

Man of Honour
Thanks a lot Egon. Helpful advice. There are dozens of predators down where I am at the mo, and they keep attacking me.. Nuisance. I like to use the drill arm on the nose of the beasty :D
Ive built an energy module for the cyclops and I have the perimeter defence which is essential for me, but boy does it drain the battery! I'm going to hunt for the sonar. I'm just about to build the jump jet upgrade for my Prawn too. Looks good. I can't build the thermal thing for the cyclops as i havent discovered the key ingredients.

Out of interest how are you powering your mini bases? I find the only reliable way is by nuclear energy, but that seems so extreme.

Man of Honour
The Prawn is the best thing there is in this game for getting around as you can get in and around anywhere with the grapple, so just do your spiderman bit and set up a base as far down as you can with the Seamoth and go the rest of the way with the Prawn.

You can't do that easily can you? As the Prawn wont fit in the Seamoth. So you'd need to transport each individually.

Soldato
You can't do that easily can you? As the Prawn wont fit in the Seamoth. So you'd need to transport each individually.

If you haven't built it yet then just build a Moon Pool at the new base and then build the Prawn Suit there. If you've already built it then yes, then using the Cyclops to get it as close as you dare to the base and walk/grapple the rest of the way is probably best.

Soldato
Thanks a lot Egon. Helpful advice. There are dozens of predators down where I am at the mo, and they keep attacking me.. Nuisance. I like to use the drill arm on the nose of the beasty :D
Ive built an energy module for the cyclops and I have the perimeter defence which is essential for me, but boy does it drain the battery! I'm going to hunt for the sonar. I'm just about to build the jump jet upgrade for my Prawn too. Looks good. I can't build the thermal thing for the cyclops as i havent discovered the key ingredients.

Out of interest how are you powering your mini bases? I find the only reliable way is by nuclear energy, but that seems so extreme.

Bio-Reactor, easy to make and can be powered on just about anything organic which the world is full of. I have a grow bed nearby and grow gel sacks. Chop for seeds, then pick for reactor, then plant seeds, an endless supply.

Other option is thermal plant as there are loads of heat sources nearby too.

Soldato
I spent a lot of time on Solar Panels, as my main base was in Safe Shallows, and they worked perfectly. There are several entrances to Lost River, one quite close to Safe Shallows and to the right of the Aurora.

Thermal Vents are the next best thing if you're building a sub-base deeper down.

Man of Honour
Blimey, theres lots of things here I didn't realise. I have an alien containment at my main base and have pet cuddlefish and what not, but can't work out what I do with it. It says I can study the eggs etc, but how and to what avail? I foolishly let a boneshark thing out thinking it may 'turn' the other aggressive ones into passive pets, but I was wrong lol.. I've used a bio reactor once before but got fed up finding stuff to shove in it :D. I didnt realise you could grow gel sacks. What a good idea, and fish breeding too, amazing!

I think I've got a problem with my mini base in the LR. Where I have set it up is right by this huge electrical monster fish that keeps attacking me. I can't stop it and I can't hide from it either, and I can't build anything else in the vacinity because i can't get long enough down there. might need to relocate.

Associate
Blimey, theres lots of things here I didn't realise. I have an alien containment at my main base and have pet cuddlefish and what not, but can't work out what I do with it. It says I can study the eggs etc, but how and to what avail? I foolishly let a boneshark thing out thinking it may 'turn' the other aggressive ones into passive pets, but I was wrong lol.. I've used a bio reactor once before but got fed up finding stuff to shove in it :D. I didnt realise you could grow gel sacks. What a good idea, and fish breeding too, amazing!

I think I've got a problem with my mini base in the LR. Where I have set it up is right by this huge electrical monster fish that keeps attacking me. I can't stop it and I can't hide from it either, and I can't build anything else in the vacinity because i can't get long enough down there. might need to relocate.

Some areas are just bad news to setup a base and in such cases it will save you a major headache to just move to another location, instead of having constant attacks. Also, you may have noticed the monsters will stay within their own areas "unless" you provoke them, at which time they will continue to follow you for quite some time :( , so be nice and try not to annoy them.

Back
Top Bottom