**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Quick question re: puncture repair.....

I noticed yesterday that one of the rear tyres on my Caliber was losing air, but I couldn't see any evidence of a nail / damaged sidewall. Took it to a local tyre shop, and they found a tiny cut of about 2mm on the inner sidewall. I was about to take the tyre away and order a new one, but he told me he could safely repair it. He explained that there were various different types of patch: he showed me a fairly small one of the type I've seen many times before, and said that he wouldn't use that for a sidewall. He then produced a much larger, thicker patch and explained that it was made of a different material, he was going to use a different glue etc etc and that he guaranteed the repair for the life of the tyre, which he also wrote on the receipt.

I let him go ahead with it as I figured that it was safer than driving around on a 10 year old space saver tyre, but do we think this is actually safe? Seems odd that he'd guarantee it if it wasn't, but then I know that in the UK we don't repair any tyres with sidewall damage so there must be a reason why.

What do we think: should I leave it as it is or replace it anyway? If it does fail, is it likely to blow out or simply start losing air?

Soldato
I wouldn't drive around on that, you have no idea how damaged the tyre really is under the surface and the load on the sidewall are totally different to that of the contact patch.

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I’ve been leaning towards having done a bit of reading. Annoyingly I fitted 1 tyre a few days ago due to another one getting damaged by a pothole, so I’ll have to go through the whole tedious process again.

Associate
The Cross Climate is not an ultra high performance tyre, the TS860 is, you can tell this by the sort of sizes they are both offered in. It's a midrange tyre not aimed at 350bhp cars.

Funny enough, the TS860 comes into anything from 13" to 17", so not exactly an UHP exclusive, instead being classified a "premium touring winter tyre" on tyrereviews.
The Cross Climate comes in a lot fewer sizes (15" to 18") but is indeed also labeled as a "premium touring tyre".
The Dunlop Winter Sport 5 does come in the UHP winter category, but in the bigger sizes it looks behind the TS850 (which can be had in larger sizes).

But the overall argument is sound - we're talking touring tyres vs "best you can buy", regardless of what category or label they are in. If someone would have come and said to me "have a look at these Michelin Energy Savers instead of those PS4" I would have told them to go and do one! I shall order 4x TS860 today. :)

So I did get the TS860s, as expected they are not stellar in the dry with a remapped 335D.
However, they are very good in the wet and obviously the best you can get in snow.
My trip included some very snowy hills (we're talking 3-5 inches of compacted and fresh snow) which it climbed with no sweat and only a minor ass shake at some point due to DTC on. Also very good on snow covered motorways, of which I've had plenty of at decent speeds. I would have not coped with the Michelins for sure!

And of course last year when I was sporting quattro on the same trip I did not encounter a single spec of snow...

nas

nas

Associate
After replacements for the OEM Bridgestone RFT on the E92, 225/35/19 & 255/30/19, anyone moved to same size non run flats? If so, which tyre did you go for?

Soldato
After replacements for the OEM Bridgestone RFT on the E92, 225/35/19 & 255/30/19, anyone moved to same size non run flats? If so, which tyre did you go for?
Whatever you get you're in for a treat.

The answer to your question is going to be a Michelin PS4 (preferable and highly recommended) or Goodyear Eagle F1A3 (or Contisport contact 6 if you can put up with the terrible wear)

Associate
Spec me some winter tyres plz. 195/60/R15. I'm looking at Blackcircles and get offers of:

- Michelin CrossClimate+ at £80.50/corner
- Avon WT7 Snow at £60.14/corner

Both fitted. Is the CrossClimate+ going to be OK in the 2-3 days of snow we may or may not get?

Also, I'd like to store my summer tyres while I do so but there's no space at home, ATS Euromaster seem to offer that service, has anyone used similar?

(2004 Toyota Corolla Estate, it's a shed. I just don't want to end up in a ditch and my summer tyres are definitely a bit less grippy in the cold)

Soldato
Yep agreed, that's why I'm asking. Will the actual winter specific tyre be that much better for the next few months?
Only if the conditions stay below 7deg. If you have the money and space for a full set of winter tyres I would definitely go for it, otherwise a set of crossclimates all year round aren't a bad thing if you're not looking for a high performance summer tyre.

Associate
Only if the conditions stay below 7deg. If you have the money and space for a full set of winter tyres I would definitely go for it, otherwise a set of crossclimates all year round aren't a bad thing if you're not looking for a high performance summer tyre.

I quite like my Dunlop blurespone in the summer, they've just been a bit carp lately when doing hill starts. I might do that but there's no space at home for storing tyres. Do you know anyone who uses some kind of tyre storage service?

Soldato
Hi,

I require help with tyres.

I have bought a new set of alloy wheels in 19” with a width of 8.5j and 9.5j.

I currently have more or less new Goodyear f1s as2s on the rear at 265/30/19 and uniroyal rs3 255/30/19 on the front.

I plan to sell these with the current alloys but I’m finding it difficult to find a new set of tyres and stick with these tyre sizes, though the fronts will be 35 profile instead of 30.

Or would I be best to keep stock tyre size of 225/255s?

I’ve spoken to my local tyre guy and because of the sizes the jump between budget and mid range is about £40/corner fitted.

I want tyres that are long lasting as it’ll be going up and down the motorway, with safety in mind so good breaking/wet performance is ideal. I’m not too fussed about handling/feedback as it’ll be sat at cruise more or less everyday. Is there anything out there that’s midrange and good for that job?

In the past I’ve had rs3s (found them to wear too quickly), hankook evo2s were good in terms of comfort/noise/feedback on my old e46 but I didn’t do a lot of miles with them to know how they were once worn somewhat.

Any advice/input appreciated.

Man of Honour
Got to put a new front offside on my Merc after 4K. Annoying but thanks to the biggest hole in the world ever and a visit out from Mercedes assistance, who fixed my headlights too, we found a bubble we both missed at first. Bad wobble and noise over 45mph which had got worse all of a sudden and eventually we found the bubble. Run flats on so will replace like for like £220ish.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi,

I require help with tyres.

I have bought a new set of alloy wheels in 19” with a width of 8.5j and 9.5j.

I currently have more or less new Goodyear f1s as2s on the rear at 265/30/19 and uniroyal rs3 255/30/19 on the front.

I plan to sell these with the current alloys but I’m finding it difficult to find a new set of tyres and stick with these tyre sizes, though the fronts will be 35 profile instead of 30.

Or would I be best to keep stock tyre size of 225/255s?

I’ve spoken to my local tyre guy and because of the sizes the jump between budget and mid range is about £40/corner fitted.

I want tyres that are long lasting as it’ll be going up and down the motorway, with safety in mind so good breaking/wet performance is ideal. I’m not too fussed about handling/feedback as it’ll be sat at cruise more or less everyday. Is there anything out there that’s midrange and good for that job?

In the past I’ve had rs3s (found them to wear too quickly), hankook evo2s were good in terms of comfort/noise/feedback on my old e46 but I didn’t do a lot of miles with them to know how they were once worn somewhat.

Any advice/input appreciated.

Won't it be much easier and cost effective to just transfer the tyres onto the new alloys?? If you sell them with the current alloys you'll never get their full value and this is compounded by you then having to pay full price for some new tyres. And it'll be easier to box up your old alloys without tyres.

It'll take a tyre fitter about 45 mins to change 4 tyres over and cost about £40.

Soldato
Won't it be much easier and cost effective to just transfer the tyres onto the new alloys?? If you sell them with the current alloys you'll never get their full value and this is compounded by you then having to pay full price for some new tyres. And it'll be easier to box up your old alloys without tyres.

It'll take a tyre fitter about 45 mins to change 4 tyres over and cost about £40.

Yes that’s what I plan to do now to be honest. It’s much more cost effective in that sense.

Decided that I’m going to use the Eagle f1s on the new alloys and get a matching pair for the front. Sell the rs3s as they’re more or less new and sell the alloys seperatley.

Soldato
Yes that’s what I plan to do now to be honest. It’s much more cost effective in that sense.

Decided that I’m going to use the Eagle f1s on the new alloys and get a matching pair for the front. Sell the rs3s as they’re more or less new and sell the alloys seperatley.

Yeah that's probably not a bad idea. Eagle F1's all round should give good grip and feedback.

Back
Top Bottom