Can you really tell difference between mp3 and flac ?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I found this great test and scored pathetically on it with 3/3 (Creative AE5 (direct HP) + AKG K550 mk3s)

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

And my ears are apparently pretty decent and sharp, I always heard read there is a pretty big difference between 320kbps mps and flacs but maybe my ears are deceiving me.

Anyhow try the test and maybe be surprised, just don't throw your £600 headphone amp against the wall:)

Soldato
Without actual comparison/reference point human hearing is really crappy measuring instrument.
And any non-blind testing is basically psychologically biased as hell.
Now guess how all "audiophiles" do tests...

Soldato
First two songs I nailed. I was positive in my selections. Last 4 I totally messed up. Good headphones, bad audio quality on this particular phone. Will try again later on my decent audio chip phone (this Nokia 6.1 actually does suck for audio).

I am the person that coukd hear the electronic static in mp3s when I younger. Drove me nuts. Maybe my ears have aged a bit recently as in picked 128 version twice from the link lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does it matter?

Just another reason for some people to feel smug and superior that they can (or at least think they can ;)) hear a difference in the presence of those who can't. Not saying that applies to all that can hear a difference, but there are people who do.

For all those that can't, maybe we should just make do with cheap headphones and speakers, or maybe just quit listening to music altogether. :p

Soldato
Who knows, depends maybe?

2 things that I normally think of on this topic, first that a bad recording is a bad recording irrelevant to the audio file.

Secondly I think I just like the fact that I've sourced equipment that should sound good, and putting in higher quality source makes sense to me that it's making the most of the equipment?

Soldato
High quality mp3 v FLAC you may notice a difference. However things like speakers and speaker position, room acoustics, DAC quality, amp quality, power quality, and cables will potentially make more difference.

What i'm saying, is you can have your entire library in FLAC format, however unless rest of audio chain is very good, then FLAC argument becomes mainly academic.

Last edited:
Soldato
When deciding if I should maintain my own music library or just use a streaming service, I concluded my ears couldn't tell the difference via either my stereo or headphones, so went with streaming. Not saying it's impossible to tell, just my enjoyment doesn't suffer so I don't worry about it

Soldato
I dropped to streaming my music many years ago. The convienience level of being able to listen to whatever I want (almost) far outweighs having a more limited library of better quality music. Sure I have favorites, but I'm not an audiophile.

I actually re-listened to the music with my better phone chip and same headphones.. and could not even tell the difference anymore (I was rushed at the time though).

I will try on my decent amplifier with my medium Polk speakers tonight if I can.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have a decent DAP and £280 in ears, I also have excellent hearing which is equal to someone with normal hearing in their 20s.
I originally tried FLACs on my DAP and then put MP3 320's on and asked my daughter to switch between the two - I couldn't hear a difference.
I then ran both files through Spectrum Analyser which confirmed there was no difference.
However do the same test with lower bit rate MP3's and there is a difference.

Don't get me started on vinyl v FLAC v MP3 320 - vinyl listeners are in a world of unicorns.

Back
Top Bottom