Amps for B&W 801d speakersor 80ds

Associate
Hi any thoughts on the compatible amps for B&W 801d speakers. I was thinking of using musical fidelity kW750 superchargers used as monoblocks. Ideally I would like to bi amp them. Any suggestions?

Man of Honour
Most speakers react well to being given lots of power. IME, big B&W speakers seem to really open up if there's a lot of headroom on tap. If you're planning on bi-amping, then you'll be running two per speaker. That gives you a potential maximum of 3000 watts across the four amps. That's a hell of a lot of power. What are you driving them with now?

I presume you'll be looking for the MF amps second-hand?

Associate
The MF superchargers are fine even the 550w version which are substantially a lot cheaper. You can pick them up from the bay for about 1200-1500 and will give you all the power you need. Although I have no idea what the MF and bowers combo synergy wise will be like. If it were me I would get the 550 superchargers as the 750 version is about high 3.5k-4k used or there abouts. Keep the money in the pocket and see how things go with the 550w as they will be voiced the same.

If the combo doesn't work for you then you can easily sell it at a very minimal loss. But selling the 750 w if you don't like it is a harder sell.

I don't think bi amping is necessary. a lot of bowers users just use one monoblock per amp for those kind of speakers. Even the newer models I have yet to see a bi amp pair.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Agreed re the cost/benefit ratio of 550 over 750 Superchargers.

Incidentally, I can't recall ever reading B&W talk about going active on their 800-series speakers. If someone is going to go to the trouble and expense of bi-amping, then surely going active is a small but logical step? B&W has active crossovers as part of the Nautilus design, and the brand has done active speakers elsewhere in its range, but nothing AFAIK with the 800 series.

Associate
Lucid>you would think they would right? But if they did that then they would eat into their rotel sales or more importantly their classe division. While I don't know of any rotel/800 series users there are quite a few classe/800 series users. I would hazard a guess that 800 series setups at least 90% are either macintosh which seems to be the main brand and behind them classe. With the other 10% maybe even less than that being accuphase or burmester.

It is well documented that they hard to drive but more than that they only play ball with a small handful of manufacturers. I don't ever come across the stuff like bryston, krell, solution, boulder, spectral etc. with 800 series.

Soldato
I had my first listen to a set of 800 series speakers a couple weeks ago as I was buying a pair of 683's off a guy who had used them, occasionally, as rears, in a second system. His main system was amazing, to me, I must admit. With 802's up front, and 804's covering the rears. The fronts were powered by Classe monoblocks controlled from a Naim Processor of some sort. Sounded absolutely immense. Especially at volume. Properly amazing.

I clearly have nothing to add here, other than I heard similar speakers powered with a couple Classe amps, and it blew me away. Made me wonder what I would need to get the best from my 683's, as I doubt my 7 year old Onkyo 609 is doing them any justice at all, ha ha.

Man of Honour
GoRedwings19> I have to be honest and say that B&W really isn't my cup of tea. Getting on for 15 years ago I partnered with a dealer to do the Northern Hi-Fi show. We did a 7 channel system with B&W and Classe. I provided the projector, screen and set wall. He brought 800D for the front pair. Side and rear surrounds were (IIRC) 802D, plus the biggest centre they had at the time. The stack of Classe gear was about 4ft tall :D Anyway, the sound was immense but left me cold.

Accuphase or Spectral with Focal or Tannoy gets my foot tapping. The Focal Grande Utopias with Spectral are about the closest thing I've found so far that have a sound that I could fall in to and get lost.

Associate
X2sman>I have never liked classe or Naim with 800 series. Years ago I rememeber when I first saw the 802N when they first came out I fell in love with the look of them but when I heard it partnered with Naim it made my ears bleed strident as hell.

Lucid> For me Bowers last 'musical' speaker was the Pm-1. Since then they have taken the route of other manufacturers and voice their products more towards the American market. The ultra clean and forward sound is one more akin to the American market. Kef are the same as well. If I ever decide to go and upgrade speakers I know in my heart it will not be Bowers next. I cannot stand the new D3 series. The D2 series is where it stops for me. For over 20 years I have owned Bowers speakers with a splattering of other manufactuers speakers soon as I heard the D3 I knew my love affair with Bowers was done.

If I were to sit down and consider what speaker I would like to try next it would be probably either Wilson Audio or Magico.

I love the Accuphase, Luxman sound. And I have a soft spot for Marantz higher end vintage stuff.

Not sure how Mike Byrne is going to play this out. IIRC teh D designation is the series before they switched to Diamond designation and tweeters? or are the first generation diamond tweeters the D's? it so confusing

Last edited:
Man of Honour
GoRedwings19> AFAIR, the D was for Diamond. That was the big thing with the B&Ws at the show; their diamond tweeters.

I remember when I started to get interested in surround sound, the DM601s launched as part of a package with matching centre and dipole surrounds. I was repping at the time and Home Cinema dealers were part of my core accounts, so it wasn't long before I had the chance to listen. I had read great reviews for these speakers, and the first time I heard them was as part of a 2 channel system - can't remember the amp and CD player - I just recall being completely underwhelmed. When I compare the feeling I had listening to those compared to a pair of Rega Elas on the end of a Nait 5 just playing the stereo laser disc track from Floyd's Pulse concert, it's night and day.

I've installed and set up lots of B&W speakers as part of surround systems; and I know there are legions of people who love the sound. They'd probably hate my preferred choices. That's life though, isn't it. :D

Associate
Lucid I totally understand. I had a friend come over as he wanted to listened to my setup. He has the 802D the first generation diamond speakers. I have the D2 series. He told me he was selling the speakers as he couldn't deal with the brightness of the sound. I have never heard a set of D1 series. I told him I didn't find the D2 bright or at least not with the type of amps at the time. But that's not really a fair comparison as I was using Marantz amp at the time and you know Marantz are well known for the smooth, rolled highs and polite delivery.

He took a listen and couldn't believe how different they sounded. As you know from installing them and what not. 800 series speakers are pretty clean sounding and I would not describe them as musical in any shape whatsoever. If you want to be seduced by the music then this speaker by itself is not the speaker you want. But there are four main manufacturers which spring to mind which can synergise with it to make it far more musical then it really is. All with their ups and downs. But they all mostly share the same sonic signature or the same attributes. They are all smooth sounding.

I like other manufacturers speakers as well but I live far from decent Audio dealers so I cannot get to audition them as easily as I would like. I guess if I wanted to listen to wilson audio or magico that would be at least Birmingham I would have thought and London.

As in regards to your comment about preferred speaker choices bowers speakers are the same taste as marmite you either really love ot or you really hate it.

Soldato
Had a pair of b&w 601 S1 and cc6. Found them bright with audiolab but fine with yamaha. Used them for rears then with computer. Was terrible with Romain Kandy that was way too bright

Soldato
Just get a nice 250w/500w Nord amp.

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/products

Calculate how much power you really need, both going by speaker sensitivity and listening distance.

You don't need killowatts of power for the sake of it, you're not powering inefficient speakers in a stadium.

I'm feeding my 86db/SPL ATCs 200w from a Lyngdorf amp and they certainly don't need more power at 5m listening distance.

For an 87dB/SPL b&w at 5m, feeding it 250w you'll get 102db at your listening position, which is more than loud enough to damage your hearing. 500w will give 106db.

A well designed powerdul amp over 200w per channel will be plenty. Spend some money on upgraded op amps and some room treatment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom