How easily do DVLA give out your details to other drivers?

Soldato
OP
To be honest, I'm no expert in this area. Police get DVLA details through PNC so don't interface with the DVLA directly and I'm not traffic.

With that said, I think I could give a bit of a steer. The DVLA should be assessing each request on the merits of the request. I don't know the process for this but it makes it highly unlikely that they'd block access to information on what the DVLA deems a legal request for a normal member of the public. It might be possible for national security reasons, but this is obviously not applicable. It's also highly unlikely that the DVLA would tell you who they've disclosed your details to. They might at best tell you how many requests they've had as part of a Subject Access Request, but they won't give personal details of who requested it.
Thanks for all the info from everyone so far. I’ve used there online form system where you email a question and they give you an automated response with a case number which then allows you to respond with an actual enquiry after providing all your details so I have explained the situation and as recommended can I find out if there has been any enquires made for my information as part of the subject access request

Man of Honour
they likely know a bent copper so there is nothing you can do.

a copper told me that when they were buying their house they just logged on and checked out all his surrounding neighbours to see who they were linked to etc. as he had not bought the house yet it wouldn't be a red flag on the system he could say he was investigating something in the area.

That's exactly the sort of behaviour that long serving officers lose their jobs over. All PNC and crime recording system (at least in my force) is fully audited and periodically inspected where you have to justify checks to supervision. This sort of checking is gross misconduct.

Finding an officer willing to lose their job over this might be more difficult than you suggest.

Caporegime
That's exactly the sort of behaviour that long serving officers lose their jobs over. All PNC and crime recording system (at least in my force) is fully audited and periodically inspected where you have to justify checks to supervision. This sort of checking is gross misconduct.

Finding an officer willing to lose their job over this might be more difficult than you suggest.

you say that but the director got off scot free and kept his job for letting his pals come in and use the gun squads guns and shooting range for free.

you would think for letting civilians in to use guns for fun would be a sackable offence but apparently it's not.

Permabanned
How easy is it for a private individual to get your name and address from your registration? I’m aware they give them out to parking firms or petrol stations etc with a valid reason but I Seem to be getting mixed answers on this. There are older threads on PH that suggest every man and his dog can fill out a v888 form and claim there car has been hit or that your car is abandoned on there land and as long as they pay the DVLA they will receive your full name and address registered to your car.
They obviously have to give a few details if they fill the form out but it looks easy to get around if need be.
Just asking as I had abit of an incident with some idiots in a car and after I had parked up they drove back around behind my car took a picture of my reg and sped off. Sadly I didn’t get there reg to report it so I doubt the police can do anything based on an assumption. Just worried they are going to get my address and do something.
DVLA site is useless in terms of enquiries but wondering if I ring would they tell me if someone has applied for my details with a fake reason.

haha dont gob off then :)

Man of Honour
you say that but the director got off scot free and kept his job for letting his pals come in and use the gun squads guns and shooting range for free.

you would think for letting civilians in to use guns for fun would be a sackable offence but apparently it's not.

I assume you're referring to Police Scotland, and from what I understand everyone involved were police officers and not civilians. Regardless, this is rather irrelevant.

Caporegime
I assume you're referring to Police Scotland, and from what I understand everyone involved were police officers and not civilians. Regardless, this is rather irrelevant.

no it was civilians. he was letting his friends come into the shooting range and play about with the guns.

it's not irrelevant as it shows you that there are bent coppers out there who will look up dvla for them if need be. if they are high up nobody will question or bat an eye lid

Soldato
OP
Had a reply from my online form I sent explaining the situation and got a useless copy and paste response of

I'm sorry to learn of the circumstances that have prompted you to contact us.
Only the registered keeper is entitled to know any information about their current vehicle, however this does not include any name and addresses of former keepers, unless reasonable cause is met.
On this occasion I can confirm that DVLA would not release any information to an independent third party.
Guidance on what constitutes reasonable cause is published online at www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla.

If you require this to be looked into further, please write to the department directly at:

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure what you're expecting the Police to do?

I think a letter to the department they suggest is your best chance at getting an informed response.
There will be cctv footage of the car there was plenty of cameras around I know the car and the time just not the reg. was just wondering if they could put a hold on the cctv from that time if anything happens to view it at a later date? I presume i can’t contact the manager of the supermarket and view it myself?
The fact the DVLA have just provided me the link to “reasonable cause” basically says they will give out my information if someone makes a fake request that my car has hit there’s or that it’s abandoned on there property.
Doesn’t look like I can stop them from withholding my information or contacting me first if an independent 3rd party sends of the v888 form despite the fact I have told them of the situation

Man of Honour
There will be cctv footage of the car there was plenty of cameras around I know the car and the time just not the reg. was just wondering if they could put a hold on the cctv from that time if anything happens to view it at a later date?

No, the Police won't be doing that.

I presume i can’t contact the manager of the supermarket and view it myself?

You likely could get a copy yourself through a Subject Access Request to the supermarket, assuming they still have it.

Soldato
OP
You likely could get a copy yourself through a Subject Access Request to the supermarket, assuming they still have it.
Doesn’t that only cover access to footage of your own vehicle? If I wanted footage of the other car to see the reg they won’t give me that will they under data Protection? If I obtained footage that had blurred out number plates apart from my car then it would not be any use at a later date would it should any evidence be needed in the event of them doing something to my car or property? Not sure how it works

Soldato
Dude, move on.

I agree, you can't live your life worrying over events such as these. I'm sure the other people haven't given it a single thought since and they only tried to intimidate you. By continuing to worry about it days after the event you are letting them win.

Man of Honour
Doesn’t that only cover access to footage of your own vehicle? If I wanted footage of the other car to see the reg they won’t give me that will they under data Protection? If I obtained footage that had blurred out number plates apart from my car then it would not be any use at a later date would it should any evidence be needed in the event of them doing something to my car or property? Not sure how it works

Indeed, it'd only be of your vehicle, so if it's something else, you're out of luck.

Caporegime
would they definitely blur all other plates, faces etc.. though.

Obvs he has to request only footage of himself but if someone else happens to be in the footage then, well they're in public aren't they?

Soldato
OP
Indeed, it'd only be of your vehicle, so if it's something else, you're out of luck.
:( I’ve got no chance of getting there reg then have I if they will all be blurred out apart from mine even if it is seen following me into the car park. And if they do something at a later date and the police get involved then there will be no footage still available to view as most places only keep footage for a few weeks don’t they.

Back
Top Bottom