Your experience with OLED burn-in

Soldato
Yeah but Plasma clears after a minute or two. Mostly you see it more when first switched on.

I get that - mine always cleared eventually - even after some mammoth sessions. My main pint is i'm not seeing retention at all on my oled (C7)

Caporegime
Yeah but Plasma clears after a minute or two. Mostly you see it more when first switched on.

depends on usage i've seen burn in on plasma's and it isn't nice.

also retention isn't nice either and distracting. i'd hat to be watching a movie and for the first 20 mins there is a nice sky sports or fifa logo on the screen spoiling the picture.

Soldato
Totally. It's one of the reasons I ditched plasma. That and the nagging suspicion in the back of my head that it might not go away!

V F

V F

Soldato
depends on usage i've seen burn in on plasma's and it isn't nice.

also retention isn't nice either and distracting. i'd hat to be watching a movie and for the first 20 mins there is a nice sky sports or fifa logo on the screen spoiling the picture.

Never had that in the past 4 - 5 years. As I said, on mine it cleared after a few minutes after first switched on and never saw anything else stick. Even after watching Sky Sports for a football game.

Or it is the fact my screens are calibrated for quite dim lighting. So low contrast. As I mainly watch recordings and game at night.

Associate
My 2016 OLED C6 suffered from some serious unfixable burn in but it was my own fault i would leave the tv on sky news /bbc for hours at a time and say after a year there was permanent burn in of the sky news banner and logo.

Now i have a 2018 OLED and i stay away from these type of channels now and just watch the news online instead lol.

So in order to avoid burn-in, you have to not use it. No point in buying it in the first place.
And what happens if a channel you watch in the future starts to use a DOG that has potential to cause burn-in. Can't watch it?

Soldato
I've had my LG B7 for about six months now and haven't experienced any signs of image retention or burn-in. I've watched lots of HDR content and played plenty of games in HDR mode (both of which set the OLED backlight to the maximum of 100) and haven't experienced any problems. Based on the results of rtings one year burn-in test it seems like you're only likely to experience problems if you a) get a slightly duff model out of the box, or b) leave the TV on channels that have bright, static elements (such as Fifa's HUD) for 15+ hours per day.

I think OLED is worth it for the odd bit of babysitting. I spent a few hours fiddling with each picture mode to get the best picture in each one and the results are amazing. Blue Planet 2 in 4k was breathtaking and even some streaming content can look great, watching the new series of The Grand Tour I've been really impressed with the picture quality.

Soldato
I've had my LG B7 for about six months now and haven't experienced any signs of image retention or burn-in. I've watched lots of HDR content and played plenty of games in HDR mode (both of which set the OLED backlight to the maximum of 100) and haven't experienced any problems. Based on the results of rtings one year burn-in test it seems like you're only likely to experience problems if you a) get a slightly duff model out of the box, or b) leave the TV on channels that have bright, static elements (such as Fifa's HUD) for 15+ hours per day.

I think OLED is worth it for the odd bit of babysitting. I spent a few hours fiddling with each picture mode to get the best picture in each one and the results are amazing. Blue Planet 2 in 4k was breathtaking and even some streaming content can look great, watching the new series of The Grand Tour I've been really impressed with the picture quality.

I don’t mean to be rude but you must be blind!

If you’ve got an Xbox, put in on the dashboard and then change screen (say to the games menu) after about 1min. There will be noticeable image retention “squares” from where the tiles have been on the screen.

Soldato

If you’ve got an Xbox, put in on the dashboard and then change screen (say to the games menu) after about 1min. There will be noticeable image retention “squares” from where the tiles have been on the screen.

I've got a PS4, not an Xbox, but I've not noticed any image retention in day-to-day use. I can't say I've done any specific tests trying to pinpoint it because I don't see the point of that. Unless it's obvious in regular content then why would I care?

Caporegime
when it comes to these things ignorance is bliss. once you notice it once you will notice it forever. it's best not to go looking for it and be ignorant that it's there. however if you know what it is you should be able to see it.

burn in takes days of static images being repeated over time. retention can happen after 5 mins.

Caporegime

Not got an XBOX but done similar tests and no such issues on my E7.

What OLED light level setting are you using?

Associate
when it comes to these things ignorance is bliss. once you notice it once you will notice it forever. it's best not to go looking for it and be ignorant that it's there. however if you know what it is you should be able to see it.

burn in takes days of static images being repeated over time. retention can happen after 5 mins.

Completely agree with this.I was oblivious to burn in on my 9 year old plasma even telling people no burn in on mine.
However i went on youtube to run one of those cleaner videos and low and behold there was the Sky Sports News ticker clear as day.
Honestly never noticed it before then but of course after seeing it you could still see it when watching stuff.
Sold it soon after and got an LCD panel.

Associate

Used to find this was most common with TVs in pubs who had the sky sports logo in the corner or the sky sports news banner 24/7.

Caporegime
apart from pixel shifting, what technologies are being introduced to mitigate this issue?

Sony introduced an automatic dimming on their OLED's through a firmware update but I'm assuming they will have removed by now due to the outcry because it totally killed the picture quality.

Associate
I have recently noticed considerable screen burn on a red screen image and considerable discolourisation on a yellow screen,(were 3 quarters of the screen has a green tinge). Never used the TV for gaming and careful not to pause a screen for more than a few seconds. (10years of plasma TV ownership and no issues- treated this TV just as carefully).
I had 2 years without any issues, then just past the 2 year mark, the colour distortion is now very noticeable. LG happy to repair for only £1200, which was good of them. Im waiting to see if my Currys 5 year warranty will help, but I think I can guess how that will go.
The 2016 models do seem more susceptible to these issues. Most reported occurrences happen just after 2 year point.
Im going to get back to LG. 2 years is hardly reasonable life span on a £2k TV. Will keep you up to date if interested.

V F

V F

Soldato
Sony introduced an automatic dimming on their OLED's through a firmware update but I'm assuming they will have removed by now due to the outcry because it totally killed the picture quality.

I quite like that feature on LG. It looks like it dims down to 20 - 30% when in a game menu for a minute or two. Then restores to your max settings when any activity is happening.

Associate
I have recently noticed considerable screen burn on a red screen image and considerable discolourisation on a yellow screen,(were 3 quarters of the screen has a green tinge). Never used the TV for gaming and careful not to pause a screen for more than a few seconds. (10years of plasma TV ownership and no issues- treated this TV just as carefully).
I had 2 years without any issues, then just past the 2 year mark, the colour distortion is now very noticeable. LG happy to repair for only £1200, which was good of them. Im waiting to see if my Currys 5 year warranty will help, but I think I can guess how that will go.
The 2016 models do seem more susceptible to these issues. Most reported occurrences happen just after 2 year point.
Im going to get back to LG. 2 years is hardly reasonable life span on a £2k TV. Will keep you up to date if interested.

Do we know if it is down to being the 2016 models or is that just the first batch of mass adoption of OLED? Will we start seeing issues with 2017 models this year then 2018 models next year. Who knows?!

Back
Top Bottom