Surface Go. 4GB enough?

Associate
I want a small device that will be used for taking notes with a stylus, watching Netflix/YouTube and browsing the web (normally use Chrome, no more than 3 tabs at a time).

The Surface Go appeals because of its size and build quality. The 4GB model is much less expensive than the 8GB model (£380 vs £509).

Do people think that 4GB is enough for Windows 10 and this usage? I want the device to last about 4 years

Associate
If your usage is that light you might get away with it, it's certainly not a good place to be from a future proofing POV. How about trying to setup a VM with 4GB and have a play?

Soldato
I am using 4gb ram surface pro 2017 for all the things you listed, its enough. If you dont have no usage requiring lots of ram then its fine for next few years.

Associate
OP
In the end I went for a 8 GB ram, 128 GB refurbished model. It wasn't so much for the ram (it turns out that my wife's ultrabook has 4 GB and in my opinion it's fine) but rather the storage because I personally find the management of this a chore. Given my hope to get 4 years use from this I decided to buy a bit more technical headroom.

Soldato
4GB is fine for web browsing and netflix. My Surface Pro 4 with 4GB is fine for what we use it for but it's 2 years old. I wouldn't buy anything with 4GB today, unless it's upgradable and not soldered to the mainboard.

Soldato
I want a small device that will be used for taking notes with a stylus, watching Netflix/YouTube and browsing the web (normally use Chrome, no more than 3 tabs at a time).

The Surface Go appeals because of its size and build quality. The 4GB model is much less expensive than the 8GB model (£380 vs £509).

Do people think that 4GB is enough for Windows 10 and this usage? I want the device to last about 4 years

I use my surface pro 3 with 4gb ram as my only personal laptop and its fine for browsing.

Dont watch too much netflix etc on it but no issues. the fan does ramp up occasionally but I think the m3 ones are less prone to this?. If your usage is going to remain similar doubt it would be an issue.

I've also done light usage of light room with it to export photos.

If I was in your situation however I'd try go for the 8gb version. Have you looked second hand?

Man of Honour
The problem with second hand surface books is the battery. You won't know what condition the battery is in. Aren't they glued together? I don't think the battery is user serviceable. Do MS replace it when you need a new one?

Soldato
I use my surface pro 3 with 4gb ram as my only personal laptop and its fine for browsing.

Dont watch too much netflix etc on it but no issues. the fan does ramp up occasionally but I think the m3 ones are less prone to this?. If your usage is going to remain similar doubt it would be an issue.

I've also done light usage of light room with it to export photos.

If I was in your situation however I'd try go for the 8gb version. Have you looked second hand?

4B is fine up to now, unless you have bad browsing habit of like leaving chrome open with 20 tabs. No doubt 8gb is better for the future and advisable if buying new to buy 8GB but you can survive with 4gb.

Soldato
The problem with second hand surface books is the battery. You won't know what condition the battery is in. Aren't they glued together? I don't think the battery is user serviceable. Do MS replace it when you need a new one?
The battery is not user serviceable but if you are skilled enough with right tool it can be replaced, but a bloody hassle.

If buying second hand avoid surface pro 4 unless you get some kind of return to base warranty for 6 months and also make sure 100% it has its own genuine microsoft power supply. You should request a battery health request, it can be done from the command line of the surface book you want to purchase.

The surface pro 4 have touch display issues.

If buying second hand buy a surface pro 2017 onwards, used to be some great deals on ebay but now it seems ebay is full of idiots who just price things stupidly.

Last edited:
Soldato
The battery is not user serviceable but if you are skilled enough with right tool it can be replaced, but a bloody hassle.

If buying second hand avoid surface pro 4 unless you get some kind of return to base warranty for 6 months and also make sure 100% it has its own genuine microsoft power supply. You should request a battery health request, it can be done from the command line of the surface book you want to purchase.

The surface pro 4 have touch display issues.

If buying second hand buy a surface pro 2017 onwards, used to be some great deals on ebay but now it seems ebay is full of idiots who just price things stupidly.

My surface pro 4 doesn't have touch fispdis issues is it a fault that randomly occurs?

Back
Top Bottom