**** The Official Huawei Mate 20/Mate 20 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
Yep, AOD notifications. Another one I'm not looking forward to is when I get an update, it locks out my work profile and I have to remember how to remove it and add it again. When I go to settings and select something, it usually then asks 'Personal' or 'Work'. What? How does Display need that prompt? There's just little things I keep coming across that aren't quite right.

Soldato
I think I've got too used to having amazing battery life to even consider going down to something that doesn't last as long... It's one of those luxuries you don't bother about til you have it!

Associate
What niggles?

I have the Mate 20X only niggle I have is lack of AOD notifications.

I think they are minor, I was very close to keeping both my Mate 20 Pro and Pixel 3 XL and just swapping them around, the reality is they are both fantastic phones but I could get £500 - £600 for one of them.

If I hadn't seen the quality of the camera on the PIxel 2Xl and 3 XL I would be very happy with the Mate 20 Pro camera. Taking lots of picture of my young kids I want to make sure I get the best picture I can everytime.

The 20X has the advantage of not having the under screen fingerprint scanner and utilises the traditional sensor. I would have preferred if if the 20 Pro had this rather then the optical one which is not as accurate.

I for one am happy Hauwei are in the market and hopefully lazy vendors like Apple and Google will be forced to raise their game, I will definitely be looking at the P30 pro with interest.

Associate
I think they are minor, I was very close to keeping both my Mate 20 Pro and Pixel 3 XL and just swapping them around, the reality is they are both fantastic phones but I could get £500 - £600 for one of them.

If I hadn't seen the quality of the camera on the PIxel 2Xl and 3 XL I would be very happy with the Mate 20 Pro camera. Taking lots of picture of my young kids I want to make sure I get the best picture I can everytime.

The 20X has the advantage of not having the under screen fingerprint scanner and utilises the traditional sensor. I would have preferred if if the 20 Pro had this rather then the optical one which is not as accurate.

I for one am happy Hauwei are in the market and hopefully lazy vendors like Apple and Google will be forced to raise their game, I will definitely be looking at the P30 pro with interest.

Not minor to me.

I hope huawei get it sorted soon. Otherwise its a great device. Just needs that sorting.

Soldato
Mate 20 Pro in black ordered, will be delivered tomorrow :D

I decided I can put up with the odd minor software quirk for the hugely better camera, battery, CPU, and screen. £30 cashback from quidco too.

Soldato
£43pm, nothing up front, 24 month contact with 8GB on EE Max. Minus the £30 cashback. So £1002 total cost, if I'd gone sim free and stuck with my £8pm ID mobile 30 day sim with the sim free phone from mobiles.co.uk @ £799 it would have been £10 less overall, so I'm happy with that! I could have got 45GB of EE data on the essential plan also at £43pm but tbh 8GB is plenty for me.

It'll be a big upgrade from an over 2 year old OP3T!

edit: That's from buymobiles.net - If I've read correctly it may be unlocked, fingers cross all the screen issues have been long sorted!

Last edited:
Associate
Was debating getting a mate 20 Pro as an upgrade from a galaxy S8. Was going to ask if AOD notifications were a thing yet but looks like they still aren't? Anyone running a separate AOD app as I'd quite miss this.

I'm assuming if an app uses its own camera (eg Snapchat) then it will just default to the main camera? Obviously most apps do just let you share in to the app so not really a concern.

Soldato
So, 8 hours in and so far, so good!!

The software has a few too many things going on as I'm used to basically stick android, but it won't take much to get used to it.

The hardware, just wow. It's my first 1440p phone and it's ALL screen, just looks amazing. Everything else is perfect, just really the little software quirks like not being able to get rid of either the battery bar or percentage, it should be just a setting but it's not.

Mine is also unlocked but is the L09 model so single SIM.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, 8 hours in and so far, so good!!

The software has a few too many things going on as I'm used to basically stick android, but it won't take much to get used to it.

The hardware, just wow. It's my first 1440p phone and it's ALL screen, just looks amazing. Everything else is perfect, just really the little software quirks like not being able to get rid of either the battery bar or percentage, it should be just a setting but it's not.

Mine is also unlocked but is the L09 model so single SIM.
Settings>Battery>cog symbol top right>battery percentage inside icon

Soldato
Cheers - found it a about 20 minutes ago - why on earth there's a settings cog within a settings menu item is beyond me! :p But that's free'd up a little more space for notifications.
Yes it’s not the most obvious of places but makes me laugh how many of these YouTube “experts” complain how little space there is for notifications and claim it’s a showstopper yet all have failed to spot it.

Soldato
Oh okay. It didn't really make any difference to me as Bluetooth is just replaced with NFC. Until we can hide NFC, vibrate and Bluetooth (and maybe cell and WiFi) I generally wont see notification icons.

**EDIT** I just found this guide and now I have just cell signal and NFC, which I'll turn off for now, only need it now and then.

Soldato
Yeah for me it's being able to move one icon to the right side, gives a bit more space on the left.

First run down of the battery since full charge and I'm looking at 7hrs on-screen time, obviously I've been hammering it since I got it :D

vlXiobx.jpg
VPUrFpA.jpg

Soldato
So the software definitely has its 'quirks' and its nowhere near as polished as oxygenOS but it's worth it for well, everything else.

Haven't really used the camera yet but some test shots have come out great and the battery just brilliant. 100% at 8am, normal usage during the day with a 10% top up in the car and I'm still at 55% at 9pm, with 4hrs screen on time.

Soldato
Picked up the official Huawei silicon case, it's great and most importantly - easy to slip on and off as it's nice and soft (my car phone holder needs the phone to be naked).

However, it attracts every single little bit of lint/crumbs/debris/dirt/dust from my pocket/desk/air/the entire world, the phone ends up covered in crap every 10 minutes!!

pics shot in 'aperture' mode :)

Back
Top Bottom