HGV Drivers Report In!

Soldato
I was going west on M54 a few yeas ago and a artic had pulled over on the other carrageway and driver was having a dump by his front wheel - That made me think do any of you guy have a porta potty in cab
I only drove a Transit but can say a bucket came in handy a few times. :o

Soldato
OP
I'd never have a dump in my cab, I won't even wee in a bottle. Just plan the journey and use a toilet before you set off, obviously if you've got bad guts then that's a different matter.

Soldato
HGV class 2 driver here.

Had my class 1 tests but failed automatically because I forgot to check trailer brake on hookup. Not got enough money for another test yet. Passed rest of test with 4 minors.

On agency trying for a job but getting nowhere. Not sure how much longer I can try to be a driver because I need money.... been on agency for last 2years...

I drive anything with wheels.

Soldato
HGV class 2 driver here.

Had my class 1 tests but failed automatically because I forgot to check trailer brake on hookup. Not got enough money for another test yet. Passed rest of test with 4 minors.

On agency trying for a job but getting nowhere. Not sure how much longer I can try to be a driver because I need money.... been on agency for last 2years...

How was your class 2 test, any tips, how did you train apart from the actual training, did you write down a checklist beforehand etc?

Soldato
How was your class 2 test, any tips, how did you train apart from the actual training, did you write down a checklist beforehand etc?

Nothing really because the only tip I can give is slow down. Don't rush into a situation. In terms of judging reversing, you are allowed to get out a few times - use that!

Training was 4 days sharing driving with someone else and test in 5th day. Took me 2 attempts. Taken me 2 so far at class 1 and as said really annoyed about it. More to remember for a class 1 but same things apply.

Don't rush in.

Caporegime
Yet all the companies I spoke to had no interest in taking me on with no experience so I went with a PCV licence instead.
That surprises me to read, we’ve got a few new starters here who’ve come on straight after passing their tests, I know as well a lot of the large operators (Stobart et al) will gladly take newly qualified drivers, I’d heard it was harder to go to PSV with no experience, I guess minibuses (PCV) are less stringent?

I wouldn’t give up on hgv though, you will get a break eventually not to mention I couldn’t stand having a load that answered back! :D

Caporegime
HGV class 2 driver here.

If it’s any consolation I failed my Class 1 first time around (clipped a roundabout as I was too used to driving rigids!) I’m assuming coupling up is now part of the test? I ask as the amount of new drivers I’ve encountered who have no clue as to how you couple up or drop a trailer never ceases to amaze me.

On my test coupling was not part of it at all so I had to get another driver to show me what to do first time out after passing:o

Soldato
If it’s any consolation I failed my Class 1 first time around (clipped a roundabout as I was too used to driving rigids!) I’m assuming coupling up is now part of the test? I ask as the amount of new drivers I’ve encountered who have no clue as to how you couple up or drop a trailer never ceases to amaze me.

On my test coupling was not part of it at all so I had to get another driver to show me what to do first time out after passing:o

Failed it twice but not counting first time as it was early in the morning and I couldn't sleep so couldn't reverse at all. Failed before I did anything else as reversing is 1st thing done.

Coupling up is part of the test now.

When did you pass your test? I can't ever imagine coupling up not being part of the test!?

Soldato
That surprises me to read, we’ve got a few new starters here who’ve come on straight after passing their tests, I know as well a lot of the large operators (Stobart et al) will gladly take newly qualified drivers, I’d heard it was harder to go to PSV with no experience, I guess minibuses (PCV) are less stringent?

I wouldn’t give up on hgv though, you will get a break eventually not to mention I couldn’t stand having a load that answered back! :D

It's all PCV now (Public Carrying Vehicle not Public Service Vehicle) And the bus companies train the drivers. I can drive anything up to 60 foot articulated on their training.

The gobby load is the worst part of the job :D

Back
Top Bottom