*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Is the Switch Pro Controller worth buying? its £53.86.

If you have a DS4/Xbone controller you can buy a USB dongle and use that.

Also if you are in an Amazon Primenow region, buy it from there using code PRIMENOW10 and get £10 off £50 so works out £44.99 and get it delivered tonight :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
Anyone playing Mario Tennis in the UK care to comment on the paid online service killing online matchmaking? I have had one on my mind a lot but people posted from October that online killed a lot of games like Aces. And i only like Aces and MK8 and Pokken or Smash. So if Aces is dead in the UK then the Switch is dead to me too i think.

Theres also the need for charging and a lan cable and only one USB port which is sort of ruining it for me too. I have no intention of using the dock either infact if i get the Smash bundle with the Custom dock i will be selling it right away on the MM or Ebay because it cant even do 1:1 scaling on a 4k telly. Which is another thing Nintendo seem to not care about alongside the lack of dual USB.

And if i wait say 6 months for a XL with maybe a 1080p screen i risk being too late to the party sigh and everyone will have stopped playing Aces. They really need to remove the paid online crap they outsold the PS4 over xmas and are putting a barrier to further sales when people say you wont find matches for good games like Aces.

Caporegime
Paid online for the Switch seemed was a stupid idea. Nintendo have never done online well and to kill it off with a paywall was dumb. They were just starting to show some momentum with online multiplayer with MK/Splatoon and Smash.

Permabanned
Paid online for the Switch seemed was a stupid idea. Nintendo have never done online well and to kill it off with a paywall was dumb. They were just starting to show some momentum with online multiplayer with MK/Splatoon and Smash.

And those are the biggest games on Switch and exclusive. Its ok to find MM for those but Mario Sports titles and others suffer really badly when people get shut out. I do not understand it you would think they would put it in the cost of a game right?

Thats another big point £45 plus £20 annually online? You mean you could not charge £50 and give it free? Heck i would have expected it at £45 thats what Aces would cost. Infact if i took the grey console + Aces they want £329 on the website. I doubt they care though if your game sells good and the online dies 6months later you still got your money. The people have to like me reach out to find the info on the queue timea at 9pm GMT for Aces or lesser games.

Soldato
Paid service hasn't killed mk8, splatoon or smash. Can't speak for aces as I don't own it but the others are still strong. Even niche titles like Dark Souls are still thriving in co-op and PvP. The NES Online stuff is not that appealing to me but if the rumoured SNES games do come then it will surpass what Live or PSN currently give out for a lot more than £17.99 pa. I've recently cancelled both those subs because I just don't use them since I got the Switch.

Soldato
If you have a DS4/Xbone controller you can buy a USB dongle and use that.

Also if you are in an Amazon Primenow region, buy it from there using code PRIMENOW10 and get £10 off £50 so works out £44.99 and get it delivered tonight :D

Ah cheers for that I must not be in the prime now region it didn't work at checkout. Not to worry I will pick one up though.

Soldato
Are you saying the console itself should have dual USB so you can plug in a LAN cable and charge it? That sounds pretty niche to me...

I imagine 98% of switch users will be using WiFi exclusively. I wouldn’t worry about a few MS ping on the WiFi when you will still get wrecked by people playing docked with a pro controller as it is far superior to joycons.

Your TV should also be able to upscale to 4K reasonably if it is decent, not sure what the issue is...

It sounds like the crux of your annoyance is £18/year for online but it is far cheaper than the competition which also have the same paywall. Join a family group if you are that concerned.

If the online in Aces dies then the reality is that it just wasn’t that popular, it’s certainly a game I would never contemplate purchasing. Most games that are not insanely popular fall flat online after 6-12 months.

It’s no different to your annual FIFA game basically dies after 12 months when the next one comes out.

Caporegime
right okay what are the best local multiplayer games for people who aren't into gaming?

snipperclips - whoever recommended this last time - thank you it's amazing 10/10
mario kart - got this and it's mario kart enough said
bombers world - cheap rip off of bomberman

also got overcooked the original when it was on sale as well as splatoon 2

next purchases

mario party
smash bros

anything else for people who aren't hardcore gamers to play that is local multiplayer? snipperclips is immense things along those lines.

Man of Honour
Anyone playing Mario Tennis in the UK care to comment on the paid online service killing online matchmaking? I have had one on my mind a lot but people posted from October that online killed a lot of games like Aces. And i only like Aces and MK8 and Pokken or Smash. So if Aces is dead in the UK then the Switch is dead to me too i think.

Theres also the need for charging and a lan cable and only one USB port which is sort of ruining it for me too. I have no intention of using the dock either infact if i get the Smash bundle with the Custom dock i will be selling it right away on the MM or Ebay because it cant even do 1:1 scaling on a 4k telly. Which is another thing Nintendo seem to not care about alongside the lack of dual USB.

And if i wait say 6 months for a XL with maybe a 1080p screen i risk being too late to the party sigh and everyone will have stopped playing Aces. They really need to remove the paid online crap they outsold the PS4 over xmas and are putting a barrier to further sales when people say you wont find matches for good games like Aces.

Mario Tennis is really unpopular so I really wouldn't be surprised if online is barren these days, with paid online (even if it's only £4 a year) being the final nail in the coffin.

I can only speak about Smash and Splatoon but they are extremely well populated.

I have played over 500 hours of Splatoon online and I still get very fast (instant) matches even though I'm playing against only the top 5% of players due to my rank. I haven't seen many repeat users either when I play so there must be a lot playing online, even at weird hours of the day.

I have played 125 games online of Smash, and it seems very popular with fast matches during peak hours, but I have to wait a minute or two at weird hours. I suppose that this is due to the strict latency requirement compared to Splatoon as it has sold extremely well.

right okay what are the best local multiplayer games for people who aren't into gaming?

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe is really fun with 4 players and anyone can play it. The difficulty depends on how much of a **** your mates are as having someone on the team who throws/blocks players to make them fall down holes *cough not me cough* can make it much more difficult.

Are you saying the console itself should have dual USB so you can plug in a LAN cable and charge it? That sounds pretty niche to me...

I imagine 98% of switch users will be using WiFi exclusively. I wouldn’t worry about a few MS ping on the WiFi when you will still get wrecked by people playing docked with a pro controller as it is far superior to joycons.

The packet loss caused by the Switch's atrocious WiFi chip causes regular issues with Smash online if both players aren't using a wired connection or haven't lucked out with a rare non-faulty Switch. The difference was night and day between my two Switches when playing online on the same wireless network.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom