Bioware's Anthem

Soldato
- unplayable on m&k
- controller still feels awkward
- terrible ui / menus / hub
- so many loading screens
- awful motion blur with some weird aa/postprocessing going on? Regardless of settings, it ranges from "argh my eyes are on fire" to "I'll have a headache in a couple of hours"
- screams poor console port

ignoring the crashes, join failures, mission errors, server problems - most of the gunplay and combat feels so underwhelming.

I wanted to like this but it's just not an enjoyable experience, sure it might get better but will I stay awake to see this?

Associate
Yea I'm not sure what I was doing with the colossus, it is supposed to be the tank but I had no health regen or shield? I know I can pick up health packs but... It was just super weird. Then I saw another guy in a colossus who appeared to have a shield... Idk, wish I had unlocked the melee suit

You can press ctrl or middle mouse to use your balistic shield.

Associate
I connected to the servers fairly quick, but it was earlier in the day at 11am or something similar. The game looks pretty but I was not sold on the gameplay aspect. I tried to start a campaign, got so far and then had no idea what I was meant to do. A second player then turned up also on the same task I was and obviously didn't know what to do either. Freeplay was nice to just go and look around. I feel I may need more time for the game to "click" with me, but so far not really sold - a shame! The UI annoyed me too, feels like lots of back and forth and button presses to simply get in to a game - maybe that was just me though?

Associate
- unplayable on m&k
- awful motion blur with some weird aa/postprocessing going on? Regardless of settings, it ranges from "argh my eyes are on fire" to "I'll have a headache in a couple of hours"

ignoring the crashes, join failures, mission errors, server problems - most of the gunplay and combat feels so underwhelming.

I wanted to like this but it's just not an enjoyable experience, sure it might get better but will I stay awake to see this?

Couldnt have said better myself, motion blur at every setting when turned off is a joke, so many issues with every single AAA game these days.

Man of Honour
so many issues with every single AAA game these days.

Its funny you say that Cully, I was thinking only today how many AAA titles in the past 12 months have crashed and burned. Obviously being AAA is not a certainty of success and every year sees some AAAs badly miss the mark but when I look back at the big name titles of the last 12 months I think more have failed badly than at any other 12 month period that I can think of for the last few decades.

Associate
Yea I'm not sure what I was doing with the colossus, it is supposed to be the tank but I had no health regen or shield? I know I can pick up health packs but... It was just super weird. Then I saw another guy in a colossus who appeared to have a shield... Idk, wish I had unlocked the melee suit

Default is middle mouse button to pull out the shield. Components can also massively buff your health and armour.

We counted healthbars and assuming they're consistent across the javelins, I have 44 times the health of the interceptor. Interceptor, 1 health bar; my colossus, 44. Very rough but clearly shows how important the loot is in the game and how little we're seeing in the demo.

Soldato
So I maxed out at Level 15 and 126 gearscore, tried a bunch of different weapons and modules... I do like playing this game when it works, the big boss battle was quite fun and the Javelin movement is something I really enjoy. I found that despite the massive issues (the main one being that entering or exiting an expedition the loading bar would get stuck about 95% with the CPU constantly at 99%) I kept coming back to it.

It gave me pangs of Firefall quite often but I feel that Firefall despite the issues it had actually did flying combat better than this with a better class element.

I have no faith that this will much better at launch though, the AAA market is imploding.

Soldato
- unplayable on m&k

Think you nailed down my feelings, trying to fly or swim was down right horrendous.

Can't say I enjoyed the story missions I played, but I won't lie, I unlocked the Storm Javalin and had a go at the repeatable mission.
It was pretty fun, freezing enemies and calling down lightning strikes. The ultimate ability was just a massive cluster **** of explosins!

But definately not a 1st day buy for me, unless they do some major tweaking, this is gonna be relegated to my bargin bin.

Soldato
Its funny you say that Cully, I was thinking only today how many AAA titles in the past 12 months have crashed and burned. Obviously being AAA is not a certainty of success and every year sees some AAAs badly miss the mark but when I look back at the big name titles of the last 12 months I think more have failed badly than at any other 12 month period that I can think of for the last few decades.
which have failed?

Caporegime
I like the game but 3 attempts at playing and get so far and then the 95% loading gets stuck. Looking forward to it getting fixed for the main release though and man I suck at flying.

Man of Honour
which have failed?

Well maybe these might not be considered AAA titles or perhaps even they might not be considered to have failed, its subjective I suppose (the failure part at least)

But I would say...

Football Manager 2019 (to be fair on this one, I suppose you could say that it delivered exactly what was expected, same as every year, so this one is debatable.)
Fifa19 (see above)
Battlefield 5
Fallout 76
Diablo Immortal announcement (not really a AAA title granted)
Black Ops 4
WoW Battle for Azeroth (could argue that WoW has been on the decline for a long time, but BfA seems to really have been the coffin nail for a great many)

Just a quick few which I personally went way way south of the mark. When I look back at 2018 and think of the top 5 games for 2018, imo, there is only maybe 1 which is a AAA/Big name title which delivered. Normally in a 12 month period a few bignames hit the spot but seems recently that the big name games are more likely to disappoint than ever before in any 12 month period for the last 30+ years.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well maybe these might not be considered AAA titles or perhaps even they might not be considered to have failed, its subjective I suppose (the failure part at least)

But I would say...

Football Manager 2019 (to be fair on this one, I suppose you could say that it delivered exactly what was expected, same as every year, so this one is debatable.)
Fifa19 (see above)
Battlefield 5
Fallout 76
Diablo Immortal announcement (not really a AAA title granted)
Black Ops 4
WoW Battle for Azeroth (could argue that WoW has been on the decline for a long time, but BfA seems to really have been the coffin nail for a great many)

Just a quick few which I personally went way way south of the mark. When I look back at 2018 and think of the top 5 games for 2018, imo, there is only maybe 1 which is a AAA/Big name title which delivered. Normally in a 12 month period a few bignames hit the spot but seems recently that the big name games are more likely to disappoint than ever before in any 12 month period for the last 30+ years.
Yea I'd agree on the majority of those tbh

Associate
Think I will await launch, I pay for the origin access/premium anyway so will be included so not a huge loss if it's not great.

Back
Top Bottom