Z390 Aorus Owners thread

Associate
My Team Group is still not running at 4000mhz with XMP with F9b

are you running xmp or manual oc? if you go into advanced memory, theres an option (i can't remember name) but it has options like 'stability, relax oc, performance' + more. Have you tried any of those?

On the old bios that hated my xmp i had to set it all manually and use one of those options.

Associate
are you running xmp or manual oc? if you go into advanced memory, theres an option (i can't remember name) but it has options like 'stability, relax oc, performance' + more. Have you tried any of those?

On the old bios that hated my xmp i had to set it all manually and use one of those options.

I've now manged to get it running at 3866mhz with 18,19,19,39, with manually settings, with enhanced performance set, still not able to get to 4000mhz, I've tried both XMP and manually settings for 4000mhz,

Are you able to share your settings?

Edit - Seems to be getting crashing in BF now, not sure if it's from these changes or the drivers I updated yesterday, will need to troubleshoot.
Thanks

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thanks to Parkinson1NX who posted some essential info about the memory slots in a thread in the memory section (In small print at the bottom of the compatibility list of ram it says for better stability place the RAM in A2&B2) I am now running at XMP 3866mhz with the latest bios. I have not actually read the QVL list so have never seen that. It really should be in the manual!!

I have now moved my memory to slots A2/B2 and flashed the F9b bios. If I knew what frustration this was going to cause me for just over the next hour I would have left the damn thing alone!! The thing was I couldn't get the damn thing to even boot after the bios flash and it kept trying to switch between bios's. Why the hell Gigabyte don't give us a switch so that we can change between the two bios's is beyond me. It would make things a damn sight easier. Sometimes It would get to the post screen before locking up and rebooting. Sometimes I could hit delete on the post screen only for it to lock up and reboot. I finally got into the bios after clearing CMOS. As I suspected, it did wipe my saved profiles (next time I will save them to a USB stick Grrrrrrrrrr) so I had to get dirty in that bloody awful bios again. I set the memory profile to XMP, leaving everything else at stock for now. Back into a non-booting loop again!! Cleared CMOS again and after a few boot attempts got back to the bios where I decided to reflash F9b. Bios reflashed I cleared CMOS and got into the bios first time, yay progress. Set XMP again and checked the dram voltage to find it's not applying 1.35v anymore. Strange because it has with every bios version before this. I enter 1.350v and check other settings. Boot order is messed up as it's trying to boot from the USB stick that the bios was on and isn't even plugged in now. Saved my settings while leaving everything at stock again and finally got into Windows. Fired up CPU-z and checked which bios I was on and memory speed which was 3866mhz C18 so XMP is working now. I got my notebook out in which I have all my settings for 5Ghz written down and rebooted into the bios to enter them. Settings entered I cross my fingers and rebooted. All is well. I ran Aida64 to check bandwith and while Aida64 shows big increases in Read/Write/Copy/Latency by changing from 3600mhz C16 to 3866mhz C18 there is barely any difference in Super pi 1m and 32M while at 16M there is a 0.4 second improvement. I suspect this is due to the much slacker timings. I am just downloading 3dMark again (5.2Gb download :eek:) and will do some runs to compare them to my previous ones. I will report back later.

Man of Honour
I have done some further testing and the results don't really surprise me. Timespy is showing miniscule increases while Firestrike and Firestrike Extreme are showing small drops in performance. I would have to say that it is the slacker timings that is causing it and to be honest I half expected it. I am going to try tweaking the timings and then do more testing but at the moment 3600mhz @C16 looks to be the sweet spot. I saw faster kits with C19 and C20 when I was searching for memory to buy and am glad I steered well clear of them. It appears that speed isn't everything and tight timings can make a bigger difference.

Soldato
I have done some further testing and the results don't really surprise me. Timespy is showing miniscule increases while Firestrike and Firestrike Extreme are showing small drops in performance. I would have to say that it is the slacker timings that is causing it and to be honest I half expected it. I am going to try tweaking the timings and then do more testing but at the moment 3600mhz @C16 looks to be the sweet spot. I saw faster kits with C19 and C20 when I was searching for memory to buy and am glad I steered well clear of them. It appears that speed isn't everything and tight timings can make a bigger difference.

will have to dig out my timings for 3200hz C12/C10 if i have the time . its worked out roughly you have to run 4100hhz C18 to beat 3200HZ C14

Man of Honour
1866mhz@C18 appears to be worse off than 3600mhz@c16 while 3866mhz@c17 is better in some things and worse in others. Timespy is only 31 points better with 3866mhz@c17 compared to 3600@c16 (6514 v 6483) while Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike are lower as is Cinebench. Superpi is a mixed bag with 1M being slower at 3866mhz@c17, 16M being over a second faster and 32M being half a second faster than 3600mhz C16. Aida64 is of course showing big increases in Memory Read, Write and copy and a small improvement in latency at the higher speed. To be honest though it just isn't worth it and will probabl go back to 3600mhz@c16 and try tweaking the other timings to eke out a little more performance. I am going to see if I can get anymore out of the cpu with the new bios as well.

Associate
1866mhz@C18 appears to be worse off than 3600mhz@c16 while 3866mhz@c17 is better in some things and worse in others. Timespy is only 31 points better with 3866mhz@c17 compared to 3600@c16 (6514 v 6483) while Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike are lower as is Cinebench. Superpi is a mixed bag with 1M being slower at 3866mhz@c17, 16M being over a second faster and 32M being half a second faster than 3600mhz C16. Aida64 is of course showing big increases in Memory Read, Write and copy and a small improvement in latency at the higher speed. To be honest though it just isn't worth it and will probabl go back to 3600mhz@c16 and try tweaking the other timings to eke out a little more performance. I am going to see if I can get anymore out of the cpu with the new bios as well.

Try the timings I posted in the other thread. I was able to adjust my IO/SA volts down to 1.0 also but that’s IMC dependent.

Associate
Thanks to Parkinson1NX who posted some essential info about the memory slots in a thread in the memory section (In small print at the bottom of the compatibility list of ram it says for better stability place the RAM in A2&B2) I am now running at XMP 3866mhz with the latest bios. I have not actually read the QVL list so have never seen that. It really should be in the manual!!

I have now moved my memory to slots A2/B2 and flashed the F9b bios. If I knew what frustration this was going to cause me for just over the next hour I would have left the damn thing alone!! The thing was I couldn't get the damn thing to even boot after the bios flash and it kept trying to switch between bios's. Why the hell Gigabyte don't give us a switch so that we can change between the two bios's is beyond me. It would make things a damn sight easier. Sometimes It would get to the post screen before locking up and rebooting. Sometimes I could hit delete on the post screen only for it to lock up and reboot. I finally got into the bios after clearing CMOS. As I suspected, it did wipe my saved profiles (next time I will save them to a USB stick Grrrrrrrrrr) so I had to get dirty in that bloody awful bios again. I set the memory profile to XMP, leaving everything else at stock for now. Back into a non-booting loop again!! Cleared CMOS again and after a few boot attempts got back to the bios where I decided to reflash F9b. Bios reflashed I cleared CMOS and got into the bios first time, yay progress. Set XMP again and checked the dram voltage to find it's not applying 1.35v anymore. Strange because it has with every bios version before this. I enter 1.350v and check other settings. Boot order is messed up as it's trying to boot from the USB stick that the bios was on and isn't even plugged in now. Saved my settings while leaving everything at stock again and finally got into Windows. Fired up CPU-z and checked which bios I was on and memory speed which was 3866mhz C18 so XMP is working now. I got my notebook out in which I have all my settings for 5Ghz written down and rebooted into the bios to enter them. Settings entered I cross my fingers and rebooted. All is well. I ran Aida64 to check bandwith and while Aida64 shows big increases in Read/Write/Copy/Latency by changing from 3600mhz C16 to 3866mhz C18 there is barely any difference in Super pi 1m and 32M while at 16M there is a 0.4 second improvement. I suspect this is due to the much slacker timings. I am just downloading 3dMark again (5.2Gb download :eek:) and will do some runs to compare them to my previous ones. I will report back later.

I'm glad I helped. @pastymuncher you still in A2&B2? Been solid for me. I was surprised it wasn't in the manual.

Man of Honour
Yes, in A2/B2 and staying there thanks to you. :) The manual is the worst I have ever had when it comes to the bit about memory which is pretty sad seeing as my wifes 4-5 year old Gigabyte B85M-D3H board that cost less than £50 specifically tells you which memory slots to use with a pair of sticks in the manual. This is going to be my last Gigabyte board anyway, I just can't get past the terrible bios layout.

Associate
Yes, in A2/B2 and staying there thanks to you. :) The manual is the worst I have ever had when it comes to the bit about memory which is pretty sad seeing as my wifes 4-5 year old Gigabyte B85M-D3H board that cost less than £50 specifically tells you which memory slots to use with a pair of sticks in the manual. This is going to be my last Gigabyte board anyway, I just can't get past the terrible bios layout.
Yeah its a shame because the board itself is pretty good. I wonder if they'll ever change the BIOS :rolleyes:

Associate
I am having some serious issues with my Aorus Pro board. I originally ran a Gigabyte Z270-HD3, i7 7700K (non-OC, completely stock), Noctua NH-D15, 4x Corsair 8GB DIMMs, relatively cheap but decent Enermax PSU, and some other bits and pieces. This worked fine. Wanting to upgrade the case to something a bit more flashy, I decided to bite the bullet and go all the way on the 'flashy bits'. So... Ordered the Z390 Aorus Pro, 4x Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4 3200MHz RGB sticks and proceeded to build my system. I've built more than a few systems in my time, so I did not expect any issues.. However the Aorus will not start and has me stumped. The CPU diagnostics led flickers for a moment, lights on the memory flashes on for a moment, then everything dies again. No beeps (if I connect a speaker), nothing. I've pulled -everything- from the case, testing it now on a test bench: just board, 2 memory sticks, the i7 7700k, the cooler, and nothing else. Same thing. I've peeked at all the pins on the CPU socket: no bent ones as far as I can see. Underside of the CPU is clean (no stray cooling paste or anything). Putting everything back (including the new memory) into the Z270-HD3 works like a charm. I've reset the CMOS, I've made sure the 8-pin 12v connector is connected. I've even hotwired another ATX power supply so I could power both the 8-pin AND the 4-pin 12v (though as far as I understood that shouldn't be necessary if you don't plan to overclock). I've run out of ideas... Anyone able to give me a little nudge?

Associate
Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

I hope you are not trying to use a 7700k in the board because it won't work. Z270 was the last chipset that supported the 7700k. Z370 and Z390 are for 8000 and 9000 series cpu's only.

Oh.. My.. G...... I am going to run off and hide in a dark corner and be ashamed of myself. That is SO obvious that it didn't even occur to me to check that. Thanks for pointing that out, because that is totally what I was doing. Well, %#&^%# Intel for re-using the same socket without actually being compatible.

Man of Honour
After all the hassle of getting the Realtek HD sound manager to work I have now disabled it and reinstalled my Soundblaster Z. I listen to music on the pc a lot and there always seemed to be something lacking from the sound. I played with the equaliser for hours and just couldn't get it "right". Today I uninstalled the Realtek drivers and disabled the onboard sound in the bios then reinstalled the Soundblaster Z. Booted up, installed the drivers, rebooted, entered the control panel, set the equaliser to my preferred option and fired up some music. It's a massive improvement over the onboard sound. I can't quite put my finger on it but the sound seems more "complete" if you see what I mean. Maybe it's the Crystaliser that makes the difference but whatever it is I am happpy again. Power consumption has gone down as well although I would have thought the Soundblaster Z would have used slightly more.

Associate
After all the hassle of getting the Realtek HD sound manager to work I have now disabled it and reinstalled my Soundblaster Z. I listen to music on the pc a lot and there always seemed to be something lacking from the sound. I played with the equaliser for hours and just couldn't get it "right". Today I uninstalled the Realtek drivers and disabled the onboard sound in the bios then reinstalled the Soundblaster Z. Booted up, installed the drivers, rebooted, entered the control panel, set the equaliser to my preferred option and fired up some music. It's a massive improvement over the onboard sound. I can't quite put my finger on it but the sound seems more "complete" if you see what I mean. Maybe it's the Crystaliser that makes the difference but whatever it is I am happpy again. Power consumption has gone down as well although I would have thought the Soundblaster Z would have used slightly more.

I recall going from onboard Realtek to an Asus Xonar PCIe card once upon a long ago. It was like going from a transistor radio to a proper HiFi set. Such a huge difference. Onboard sound tends to be the cheapest they can get away with, regardless of how premium they claim it is.

Associate
Hello Everyone,
Recently upgraded to Aorus Master and a 9900k.
I'm currently using adaptive Voltage (V1.2 & -0.40 offset) and Speedstep @5 GHZ on all cores, this is stable and temps good (65-77) after days of stress testing, gaming and idling. My problem is When gaming or stress testing the CPU will use anywhere between V1.26 - v1.31, is V1.31 safe ? and how can I tighten the spreading ?, (pictures of BIOS can be given if needed)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hello Everyone,
Recently upgraded to Aorus Master and a 9900k.
I'm currently using adaptive Voltage (V1.2 & -0.40 offset) and Speedstep @5 GHZ on all cores, this is stable and temps good (65-77) after days of stress testing, gaming and idling. My problem is When gaming or stress testing the CPU will use anywhere between V1.26 - v1.31, is V1.31 safe ? and how can I tighten the spreading ?, (pictures of BIOS can be given if needed)

your CLL on Turbo ?

Back
Top Bottom