Running a 2.1 Setup from PC - Which Amp

Associate
Looking to run a pair of Bookshelf speakers and an Active Subwoofer from My PC and just looking for some recommendations on an Amp to use please?

Not looking for mega expensive, maybe just a pair of Wharfedale 220s to drive or something of equivalent nature.

The speakers will never be driven loud do to where my PC is located, but obviously I want it to be as capable as possible w3ihtout costing a fortune.

Size is important too, ideally it needs to be small and compact but punchy enough to fill the speakers with what they need. probably asking too much but interested to see what people are using.

Thanks

Soldato
I think you're probably looking at SMSL Q5 Pro, AD18 or Topping MX3. Not much else is affordable, small and with subwoofer output.

I've got a Q5 Pro and it does a really good job. AD18 and MX3 have added Bluetooth connection as well, if that's something you might want as well.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice, at least Ive got a good starting point on where to look.

I didnt wanna buy something that wouldn't do the job i was looking for. the world of audio is a messy place

Associate
I'm running a pair of 220's with a Yamaha RX-V373 AVR on the PC. Not sure exactly how much space you have, but this could be an option especially as you could pick up a second hand unit for a decent price. I use the HDMI out of my 1060 to an input on the amp. I then have the choice of using speakers or headphones. Mic for gaming is covered with a USB adapter. Amp also has subwoofer output and multiple HDMI inputs.

Soldato
Why not just buy a set of active speakers?

Ruark MR1’s have a sub out for connecting an active sub.

Would surely make a much neater solution in terms of cabling? You could even run it via Bluetooth if you fancy.

MR1’s aren’t so cheap new but you can get a great deal on used/refurbished.

Associate
OP
Why not just buy a set of active speakers?

Ruark MR1’s have a sub out for connecting an active sub.

Would surely make a much neater solution in terms of cabling? You could even run it via Bluetooth if you fancy.

MR1’s aren’t so cheap new but you can get a great deal on used/refurbished.

Mainly because you are so much more limited in terms of choice of speaker. I know the Wharfedales have a sound I really like with plenty of weight behind the bass. I've never heard a pair of ruarks so I would be buying blind based on people's subjective reviews.

Wires I can live with, but if I didn't enjoy the sound of the ruarks, that would be harder to have to live with

Soldato
Mainly because you are so much more limited in terms of choice of speaker. I know the Wharfedales have a sound I really like with plenty of weight behind the bass. I've never heard a pair of ruarks so I would be buying blind based on people's subjective reviews.

Wires I can live with, but if I didn't enjoy the sound of the ruarks, that would be harder to have to live with

For what it’s worth mate, the Ruarks sound amazing - the 5 star reviews are spot on. John Lewis have them if you have one nearby I’d thoroughly recommend going in and having a listen. I have mine hooked up to my AE-5. Every visitor has said the same thing - “Wow! And all that sound is coming from two speakers?”

I keep trying to find a way to justify owning a second set lol they really are that good :)

Soldato

If there is a local Richer Sounds store fairly close to you, ask if you can pop in and have a listen to the Ruark's (which they sell) and maybe the Wharfedale or similar speakers. At least you can get some idea of whether the Ruark's would be worth the money to you.

Back
Top Bottom