2.0L 4-pot to 5.0L V8

Soldato
Why is the auto option 10 speed? I can see the need for 7 if ratios are on the short side, but 10 seems excessive. As quick as the shifting must be, more time must be spent selecting gears?

Soldato
Awesome car I would want a different colour! Can never understand people painting the pony black or removing it but then people take the VW badge off Golf`s so nothing should be a shock! I couldn`t have a two door with a kid would drive me mad!

Soldato
Congrats, you are going to love it.

Same spec as my wife's car other than body paint and stripes.

In regards to your cosmetic changes I can see the side '5.0' badges are missing did you get those removed? Also if you are considering replacing the front emblem with a black version its MUCH easier to re-spray the current one in place. 2015-17 model had a gap that allowed you to unclip it from behind, for the 2018 you have to take the whole front end of the car off.

dechrome.jpg

FYI...

MY18 Mustang GT Ruby Red 07
by Andy Baker, on Flickr

MY18 Mustang GT Ruby Red 08
by Andy Baker, on Flickr

Internet cookie for anyone that can spot the issue in the above interior pics, you would need to seriously know your Mustangs to notice.

Uh oh!? He’s been sold an ecoboost!

Soldato
I'll be using it a lot in the week for work so will be doing circa 20k miles per year in it!

I'm assuming you didn't mean doing 20k miles in the family car, that's going to be a pretty hefty fuel bill! and would it not depreciate the car a bit quicker? (again assuming you're keeping her for more than a year).

Caporegime
Shame about the black wheels (I don't think any car suits them) but love a Mustang! 20k a year is going to cost rather a lot in fuel, but enjoy it while you can!

OcUK Staff
I'm sure when he puts his foot down and can visibly see the fuel gauge moving he'll know.

They are fine on fuel, the MY18 also has both direct and port injection, plus with 10-speed it shall be quite economical for a V8 if driven in auto and not a heavy foot.
Mustangs are great because you can drive slow and be that cool person who decided to try something different and listen to that V8 burble along and simply be grinning from ear to ear, or you can plant your foot and experience great acceleration as the MY18 10-speed is no slouch once rolling, the gear box keeps its on the boil as the V8 in the Mustang likes to rev, really wakes up past 5000rpm and will rev out to nearly 8000rpm in the MY18.

Its a fun car, V8 NA, RWD and you can still get a manual too, its why they've done so well, only thing that killed MY18 sales somewhat was the big price increase from MY15-17 cars but in fairness they come with a lot more equipment as standard.

Associate
Ha - I did the same. v8, ingot silver 6spd manual

Do it... they are so much fun. And you get a baby seat in the back no probs!

This could be a load of rubbish, but do i remember you were keywroth based as a kid?

Soldato
OP
Mustangs must have roomy back seats, my son’s rear facing seat takes up all of the space in the back of my CLS. I had to tilt my seat up almost to the point where it’s uncomfortable.

Good luck getting a kid in the back when they’re in a fixed rear facing seat :D

It is very nice though

Cheers. Car seat in the back was ok, it reduces leg room for the passenger seat but my wife is fairly short! It's a rotating car seat so when not in use I can spin it sideways and put the passenger seat further back.

What's the fuel economy like in one of those? Pushing 30mpg?

There seems to be lots of different views online and plenty of "you don't buy a Mustang for the MPG", but consensus seems to be 25-28 on a long run and in the teens for short journeys if it's driven sensibly. I got 26 on an extended test drive.

Congrats, you are going to love it.

Same spec as my wife's car other than body paint and stripes.

In regards to your cosmetic changes I can see the side '5.0' badges are missing did you get those removed? Also if you are considering replacing the front emblem with a black version its MUCH easier to re-spray the current one in place. 2015-17 model had a gap that allowed you to unclip it from behind, for the 2018 you have to take the whole front end of the car off.

Internet cookie for anyone that can spot the issue in the above interior pics, you would need to seriously know your Mustangs to notice.
[/img]

It looks like the previous owner already removed the 5.0 badges, which is convenient as I was planning to do the same thing. I had already looked at buying a black emblem so really good to know it's easier to rerspray! Might just order some plastidip paint so I can peel it off again, thanks.

I'm assuming you didn't mean doing 20k miles in the family car, that's going to be a pretty hefty fuel bill! and would it not depreciate the car a bit quicker? (again assuming you're keeping her for more than a year).

15k-18k of it will be business mileage with a break-even of 25mpg on fuel, so shouldn't be too horrendous.

Nice Car! So do you have a 2nd car as well at the household?

The wife has an XC60 as the family car that all the baby stuff lives in. Ever since getting it the A4 has become the car I use for work and the odd trip out on my own.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
They are fine on fuel, the MY18 also has both direct and port injection, plus with 10-speed it shall be quite economical for a V8 if driven in auto and not a heavy foot.
Mustangs are great because you can drive slow and be that cool person who decided to try something different and listen to that V8 burble along and simply be grinning from ear to ear, or you can plant your foot and experience great acceleration as the MY18 10-speed is no slouch once rolling, the gear box keeps its on the boil as the V8 in the Mustang likes to rev, really wakes up past 5000rpm and will rev out to nearly 8000rpm in the MY18.

Its a fun car, V8 NA, RWD and you can still get a manual too, its why they've done so well, only thing that killed MY18 sales somewhat was the big price increase from MY15-17 cars but in fairness they come with a lot more equipment as standard.

That's the hope Gibbo, that using it for work up and down the A1 the MPG will be acceptable cruising along at 70 with adaptive cruise on, leaving me to properly enjoy the start/finish to the journey and the weekends!

I was really impressed with the kit it comes with, higher than most cars out there.

Soldato
OP
Ha - I did the same. v8, ingot silver 6spd manual

Do it... they are so much fun. And you get a baby seat in the back no probs!

This could be a load of rubbish, but do i remember you were keywroth based as a kid?

Yes I was, lived in Keyworth until I went to Uni, still living in south Notts villages. I take it you went to South Wolds?

OcUK Staff
That's the hope Gibbo, that using it for work up and down the A1 the MPG will be acceptable cruising along at 70 with adaptive cruise on, leaving me to properly enjoy the start/finish to the journey and the weekends!

I was really impressed with the kit it comes with, higher than most cars out there.

Think I managed 34 or 36mpg on a motorway run in mine around 75mph, if your doing dual carriage way and motorway, keep it in wet or normal mode and the gear box in D it should return 35 plug mpg on a run easily, some report 40+ but they have very light feet I think.

One thing, wet mode in these cars is very effective and you should use it, yes thankfully now they have Michelin instead of Pzero and mag ride which has vastly improved them, but the torque can make them quickly let go and when they do most people fail to catch them or they catch the initial let go but then the traction control kicks in and it then snaps back and before you know you've left road as the TC system allows a lot of slip even in normal mode, too much for some to handle, wet mode is more akin to regular DSC what you'd get in a BMW so unless your an experience and good driver with RWD I do advice wet mode in the wet, as it brings TC in much sooner.

Think of it like this:

Wet = Regular DSC on in say a BMW or Audi
Normal = Track DSC
Sport = MDM as found in modern BMW's
Track = More like a Porsche sport/track level but the Mustang takes more skill to handle at such limits as the chassis is not as balanced.
Off = Brave man but in some ways easier to control, though the diff in these cars can lock and unlock randomly. ;)

Soldato
OP
Cheers Gibbo. Getting 30+ for business mileage will be brilliant, it'll actually mean it costs me less than my current car given the HMRC fuel rates!

I did see about the tyres being changed, I've got the same Michelins on the A4 and have been really impressed with them compared with the Contis I had before.

The DSC info is really good to know, thanks. Based on the above I think I will keep it in wet for the time being until I start to get used to the car and how it feels. Particularly given it's forecast to snow the day I pick it up!

Back
Top Bottom