is the MSI B450M Pro-M2 a good motherboard?

Soldato
come monday i will have £300 to spend on 3 parts, cpu, mobo, case and so far the 2600 is decided and potentially the Raijintek Styx case unless i find better for less, where im looking this comes up to just over £290, i may be able to spend just over the budget, but prefer not to if its not required.

so basically while i like msi hence my b350m board i have only technically selected the b450m model because it fits in budget and has m.2 still, but is it actually any good?

im not bothered about overclocking as i shouldnt need to with the big increase over my 1200, but quality, heat etc is stuff i tend to overlook.

Soldato
OP
what about the gigabyte B450M DS3H? i had the intel 270m version and found it to be fine for the few weeks i owned it before selling that system, that did have a g3950 mind, so obviously weaker than pentium nevermind a 2600, but still...

Associate
If i were you I would go for a top end motherboard. You've already spent money on the b350 and 1200 and you're now buying another board and chip. It's false economy to buy the cheaper boards as you'll likely want our need to upgrade them for the new series of Ryzen.

Get a decent x470, keep the 1200 and wait for the Ryzen 3xxx to arrive. At least with a decent x470 that will last you to the end of the AM4 platform journey.

Soldato
OP
If i were you I would go for a top end motherboard. You've already spent money on the b350 and 1200 and you're now buying another board and chip. It's false economy to buy the cheaper boards as you'll likely want our need to upgrade them for the new series of Ryzen.

Get a decent x470, keep the 1200 and wait for the Ryzen 3xxx to arrive. At least with a decent x470 that will last you to the end of the AM4 platform journey.

thanks for reply.

well ive had this system a few months and my 1200 is the weakest link and because i got it used i spent £55 on the board/cpu combo, so my 570 is the biggest spend which is why im keeping it, the board seemed a good all rounder, im not one for wanting the best, i just wanted ryzen and to stick with it. plus my sig is of a downgraded version ready to be sold, so i need the 1200 left ha.. i needed to repair the odd socket pins on my board to use it and if i didnt have to do that i would just flash it and just upgrade the processor, but i dont think i could trust it.

took me over a year to get to ryzen 1000, im not bothered about the new generations to be fair, for my usage and how often ill use it then whats out is fine, so as long as the board is good then that all that matters..

as im looking on the zon i am seeing mobo/cpu bundles that seem decent using the B450 Aorus M plus various 1st/2nd gen including the 2300x & 2500x, that looks and sounds like a pretty good board. i have an opportunity to upgrade my system and only need 3 or 4 parts depending on choices, so makes sense to take advantage.

it was this or use the money on a ryzen 2200u or i3 laptop that are over the £300 which would be the false economy.

Associate
Thanks for replies.

Are these suggestions under £100? I am set on a itx b450 at £120 otherwise.

The matx mortar is just under £100 from other places I even saw the titanium one in stock at that price

I wouldn't go lower than matx unless you had to due to case size.

You are after matx or smaller only right?

Soldato
OP
The matx mortar is just under £100 from other places I even saw the titanium one in stock at that price

I wouldn't go lower than matx unless you had to due to case size.

You are after matx or smaller only right?

Okay thanks I will have a look at them.

I will be ordering the case at the same time, the gamemax case I have would fit my desk fine as it’s a decent size desk, but I want a smaller SFF case be it m-atx or itx as i have a 24” screen and want 2nd screen and similar size but weaker system for it unless I just get a AIO as I basically want 2 systems on the desk.

Back
Top Bottom