• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia rumour to be launching new GTX 11 series without ray tracing

Associate
I was talking about the GTX1660 which seems to be the replacement for the GTX1060 and has virtually the same specifications. The GTX1060 6GB can be had for under £200 now. The GTX1660TI seems to slot in just above the current position of the GTX1060:

https://videocardz.com/79847/hardocp-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-to-cost-279-usd

So at current exchange rates,the GTX1660 will start at around £210 and the GTX1160TI at £255.

I do hope its GTX1070 level performance as you say,otherwise it wil be another case things haven't really moved forward that much.

You're right looking at it the 1660 doesn't look to be any better than the 1060 but maybe they'll increase clockspeeds or something. 1660TI must be the '1070 equivilent' not the 1660

Does anyone think this is aimed at users who bought the 660TI

Associate
I can't work out this marketing with these.

Is this a rebranded 10 series with new architecture? Chuck in some unused 10 series parts? Is this aimed at those who haven't bought into the 10 or 20 series?

I just can't work it out.

Soldato
Is this a rebranded 10 series with new architecture?

Well that's a bit of a contradiction ;)

Who knows what Nvidia are thinking, but it looks like the full dies with Turing cores, RT and Tensor just can't be cut down any further to create the lowest end cards, so a new die based on Turing architecture but with the RT and Tensor removed has been created to create those cheaper cards.

So they are in fact brand new cards, not rebranded 10 series, but keep the GTX moniker because they do not have RTX technology.

But since the entire point of the GTX 16 series is to fill the sub £300 market segment (which evidently can't be done by chopping down a TU10x die) don't expect higher performance cards without ray tracing. Because that would be idiotic and a total admission form Nvidia that their 1st gen ray tracing is worthless.

There's also a possibility that this entire GTX 16 is just to keep shareholders happy and Nvidia release something that people might actually want to buy, especially if AMD's Navi is even remotely close to the leaked price and performance.

Soldato
I can't work out this marketing with these.

Is this a rebranded 10 series with new architecture? Chuck in some unused 10 series parts? Is this aimed at those who haven't bought into the 10 or 20 series?

I just can't work it out.

It's simple, 10 series is for peasants, while 20 series is for the cool kids. This way there's no confusion about which class you are a part of. That's the marketing behind it.

They want to upsell you as much as possible, hence the separation (and the RTX gimmick - pure marketing play) but they still have to sell under £350 as that's a huge market. So we get these 10 series cards; you still have a card to buy on a budget but you don't forget you're "behind" the times.

Soldato
i dont understand this 16xx nonsense.
I totally get that RTX on low end cards is pointless, so having a GTX line makes sense to me (and if it means they can use components with failed "RTX" bits so much the better.

I also get that GTX 2060 and below and RTX2060 and above may be too similar i nnaming and therefore confusing.

but the most obvious and consumer understandable naming to me would be GTX1160 / 1150 etc etc and just carry on from the 10x from pascal.

Soldato
i dont understand this 16xx nonsense.
I totally get that RTX on low end cards is pointless, so having a GTX line makes sense to me (and if it means they can use components with failed "RTX" bits so much the better.

I also get that GTX 2060 and below and RTX2060 and above may be too similar i nnaming and therefore confusing.

but the most obvious and consumer understandable naming to me would be GTX1160 / 1150 etc etc and just carry on from the 10x from pascal.

I imagine this is the last of the 10 series we're going to hear about (for many years), so it makes sense to go with a bigger number then, and it also hearkens back to the glory 660 & 660ti days, which were best sellers. Next gen is probably going to be only 21xx or 30xx cards.

Associate
It's simple, 10 series is for peasants, while 20 series is for the cool kids. This way there's no confusion about which class you are a part of. That's the marketing behind it.

They want to upsell you as much as possible, hence the separation (and the RTX gimmick - pure marketing play) but they still have to sell under £350 as that's a huge market. So we get these 10 series cards; you still have a card to buy on a budget but you don't forget you're "behind" the times.

Thats the best thing ive ever read :D

Associate
OP
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/28/investing/dow-stock-market-today-caterpillar-nvidia/index.html

More nVidia doom & gloom with the shares down 17% in one day !

Nvidia added to the doom-and-gloom by slashing its fourth-quarter sales guidance. The chip maker cited "deteriorating" economic conditions, "particularly in China." Nvidia (NVDA) shares plunged 17%. And the dreary news weighed on rivals Intel (INTC), Applied Materials (AMAT) and Texas Instruments (TXN), all of which fell by more than 1% apiece.

If they have over estimated the volume sales of RTX cards then it would give more push to a non ray tracing card which would be cheaper and probably increase sales volume (and also profit) to get the company out of what appears to be an ever deepening black hole.

Caporegime
Turing sales are also not as good as they expected according to them.

If Turing sales are low then they could lower prices. I doubt sales are that low but if we see a price drop in the next weeks then we will know..

Nvidia have very high margins so is not an issue in lower prices unlike AMD.

Caporegime
Another aspect affecting Nvidia is the AV industry is slowing down a lot. Reality is setting that this is a longer term endeavour. Nvidia is well position but the huge sales to auto OEMs have been pushed back another 4-5 year's compared to the hype of the last few.

Associate
OP
OOOOpps !

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...stroys-tens-of-thousands-of-nvidia-gpu-wafers

"After the Great Cryptographic GPU Shortage of 2017 sent GPU prices into the stratosphere, the slow decline through 2018 was a welcome return to normal. Now, we may see fresh shortages and higher prices thanks to a reported manufacturing problem at TSMC.

The following is a quote from a report by the Chinese site Expreview:

Today, TSMC has been experiencing a security incident. This time, the wafer was contaminated by unqualified raw materials. It is estimated that it will lose tens of thousands of wafers, affecting the 16/12nm process of the main revenue, NVIDIA GPU and many mobile phone chip manufacturers."

The loss of tens of thousands of wafers — if that figure is accurate (and we’re trusting Google with the mechanical translation) — would represent a significant chunk of a typical fab’s monthly output

Back
Top Bottom